Liberal mainstream media
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:00:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Liberal mainstream media
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you agree that "Americas mainstream TV networks and newspapers have a Liberal bias"
Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (I)

No (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: Liberal mainstream media  (Read 3831 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2012, 03:29:15 AM »

I think you need to separate media into their component parts...

I think reporters/faces are more liberal than the general community... but considering their demographic mix... they aren't really any different to the general community.

Editorial staff are a mix, in newspapers there is much more independence but in TV... considering the expense of putting a TV station to air, they're much more driven by the owners... which leads us to...

Owners, who generally care about profits and circulation FAR more than political ideology, they'll support whichever will generate the most profits.

Note that people of a liberal bent are much more likely to get their news from the internet and a few limited sources, people of a conservative bent are much more likely to skew older and therefore more dependent on TV and newspapers. ... there's more money in conservative media... and especially when advocating the conservative persecution line.

But the stock-standard position of conservatives to generate hype by going emo "everybody hates me and nobody understands me!!" is ridiculous.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 04:23:10 PM »

An American BBC would be amazing. The best way I would imagine would to further connect PBS and NPR and get them to establish a news channel.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 04:30:39 PM »

They're all quite right-wing, though some are extremely so and support the GOP, with others being just center-right, and supporting the Democrats.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 04:41:10 PM »

I'm with Polnut. I'd label the alphabet soup centre-left fiscally and Generic Northern D socially. If there's a conservative Republican there I haven't heard from them yet.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 06:08:48 PM »

They have an small, but inconsequential liberal bias when compared to their massive sell-more-things bias. If both things will sell an equal number of papers, they'll go with the liberal story, but when there's 2 items and the conservative item will get them more money, they'll go with that.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2012, 06:39:14 AM »

some outlets do -- but what is important to re-define here is what a 'liberal' actually is.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2012, 06:58:39 AM »

Not really, and if there was, it's outbalanced by Fox News.
hopper
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2012, 08:25:01 PM »

Yes they are biased. They rarely say anything bad about a Dem president. When there is a Repub President in the White House they want to hate on him.

Everybody says Fox News is biased. Who cares? NBC, CBS, and ABC lean to the left.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2012, 10:29:41 PM »

Yes. But as a liberal I could care less.

Although I've always wondered why this has been the case. Were the liberals the first ones to establish media companies? Is the journalism world filled with high educated people that requires a high education level that comes with liberalism? I'm not sure. 
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 07:20:19 AM »

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=2447
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 07:29:07 AM »

Although I've always wondered why this has been the case. Were the liberals the first ones to establish media companies? Is the journalism world filled with high educated people that requires a high education level that comes with liberalism? I'm not sure. 
Journalism as a profession attracts left leaning types in all countries. But generally that effect is countered by media companies being controlled by rich, Conservatives.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2012, 11:48:04 AM »

Journalism as a profession attracts left leaning types in all countries. But generally that effect is countered by media companies being controlled by rich, Conservatives.

Shouldn't that provide some sense of balance then? My guess is the liberals established the companies, but the fact that FOX News/News Corp. exists seems to counter that.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies