bob mcdonnell
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:18:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  bob mcdonnell
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: is he the most likely vp choice for mitt
yes

no

santorum is going to win.  duh!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: bob mcdonnell  (Read 2204 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2012, 05:20:51 PM »

absolutely.

he is from a supposed 'swing state'

he is a far right fundie, which (in theory) would help mitt with the white, southern fundie crowd.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 05:23:34 PM »

I think Romney is doing so poor with Latinos, that he's going to have to choose Rubio or Martinez.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 05:24:49 PM »

I think Romney is doing so poor with Latinos, that he's going to have to choose Rubio or Martinez.

lost cause.

mitt is doing poor among blacks too.  dont expect him to pick a black running mate.  Smiley
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 05:26:46 PM »

lost cause.

mitt is doing poor among blacks too.  dont expect him to pick a black running mate.  Smiley

It's not a lost cause. He can't win without Nevada and Colorado. Rubio and Martinez would at least help him replicate McCain's result with the voting bloc.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 05:30:13 PM »

lost cause.

It's not a lost cause. He can't win without Nevada and Colorado. Rubio and Martinez would at least help him replicate McCain's result with the voting bloc.
This
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 05:33:48 PM »

lost cause.

This

He can, but his victory would likely be 270-268.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 05:37:54 PM »

absolutely.

he is a far right fundie, which (in theory) would help mitt with the white, southern fundie crowd.

McDonnell is neither southern nor a fundie (fundie Protestant at least). He was born in Philadelphia, lives in the DC suburbs and is Catholic. He could still perhaps excite southern fundies but isn't really either himself.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »

absolutely.

McDonnell is neither southern nor a fundie (fundie Protestant at least). He was born in Philadelphia, lives in the DC suburbs and is Catholic. He could still perhaps excite southern fundies but isn't really either himself.

where he was born is irrelevant.

and catholics can be fundies too...just look at rick santorum.  and as the primaries have shown us, white southerners trust the catholic fundie over the mormon.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 05:58:29 PM »

I think Susana Martinez is the best choice for VP.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 06:01:02 PM »

yeah.  'game change' was such a good book/movie...we all want a sequel.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 06:07:36 PM »

yeah.  'game change' was such a good book/movie...we all want a sequel.

What makes Rubio any less of a potential Palin sequel? Why are people assuming that just because she is a governor who was elected two years ago and is a woman that she will somehow be a repeat of Palin?
perdedor

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 06:09:20 PM »

In spite of what Rubio says, I remain convinced that he'll be Romney's pick for VP. There's really no upside to picking McDonnell, as recent polls debunk the myth that he would somehow deliver Virginia for Romney.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 06:10:19 PM »

I love him, but absolutely not. Anyone outside of Jeb Bush, due to those Latin voting numbers recently released, who has endorsed Romney can't be on his ticket. You have to pull from the right, from Santorum-Gingrich territory to unite the party and appease conservatives.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 06:24:02 PM »

In spite of what Rubio says, I remain convinced that he'll be Romney's pick for VP. There's really no upside to picking McDonnell, as recent polls debunk the myth that he would somehow deliver Virginia for Romney.
VP picks help with undecideds and turnout. There's really no reason a poll would pick up on that at this point.

The idea some people have here that McDonnell is some kind of culture warrior is ridiculous.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 06:43:55 PM »

absolutely.

Virginia Beach is in the DC suburbs? News to me.
perdedor

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 07:01:09 PM »

VP picks help with undecideds and turnout. There's really no reason a poll would pick up on that at this point.

The idea some people have here that McDonnell is some kind of culture warrior is ridiculous.

I never accused Bob McDonnell of being a culture warrior, honestly I haven't paid much attention to him. I'm just going by the data that is available, which shows a negligible one point uptick for Romney in Virginia when McDonnell is added to the ticket. Furthermore, history shows that VP picks are most often inconsequential in determining the winner of their home state. Picking McDonnell won't help Romney anywhere he will truly need it (independents and women).
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 07:08:27 PM »

>Implying Susana Martinez is in any way equivalent to Sarah Palin outside of the fact that they're both women
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 07:09:40 PM »

He's in the top 3.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 07:29:23 PM »

The vaginal ultrasound thing sure doesn't help his case.  That'll probably get a lot of play if he gets picked.

Also, with regard to Palin/Martinez comparisons, I think part of what Palin illustrated is that you don't know what you're going to get when you take a governor whose only experience is on state issues, and throw her onto the national stage with little prep time.  That's why Palin was the first VP pick by either party with zero Washington experience since the 1970s.  That's why first term senator Rubio is "safer" than picking a first term governor.  He's already a US Senator, so he deals with national issues every day.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 07:44:53 PM »

Rubio is a 20-monther who furthermore has been Shermanesque throughout this cycle on VP. On McDonnell, I think publicly lobbying for the job is unbecoming. Probably hurt him with Team Romney and Mittens himself. Also, he's gotten too much speculation- as VP nominees Powell, McCain, Danforth and Pawlenty can attest.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 08:03:33 PM »

The closest Rubio came to a Shermanesque denial was "I'm not going to be the Vice Presidential nominee. The answer is going to be no." which isn't really that Shermanesque a denial.  No more definitive a denial than Clinton's insistence that he wasn't going to run for president in 1992 or Obama's insistence that he wasn't going to run for president in 2008.

It's too early to believe any denials of interest on the vice presidency.  People deny their interest in being veep all the time, and it doesn't mean anything.  We won't know for sure if someone is uninterested until they refuse to be vetted.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 09:18:37 PM »

>Implying Susana Martinez is in any way equivalent to Sarah Palin outside of the fact that they're both women

It doesn't matter if they're actually not similar, because if Romney picks any woman he's going to have to spend a whole week of media time defending her and explaining why she's not the next Sarah Palin regardless of how similar she is. It may not be "fair", but it's the way it is.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 09:52:24 PM »

is he the most likely vp choice for mitt

yes   11 (47.8%)
no     11 (47.8%)
santorum is going to win.  duh!   1 (4.3%)  (Keystone Phil Option) Smiley

Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

P P
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 10:34:54 PM »

Been saying that since 2010!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 04:26:23 AM »

Btw, Nate Silver has a new post on why governors rarely ever get picked for veep:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/27/for-a-romney-running-mate-dont-bet-on-a-governor/
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies