The Republican Vice-Presidential Spectulation Thread.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:53:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The Republican Vice-Presidential Spectulation Thread.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: The Republican Vice-Presidential Spectulation Thread.  (Read 20000 times)
milhouse24
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2012, 11:14:10 PM »

I'm starting to think Tim Pawlenty might be chosen.

If I may ask, what exactly do you think he brings to the ticket?

Normalcy. He's not a crazy pick, it shows Romney is serious. Look at the last 3 defeated vp candidates: Palin, Edwards, and Lieberman. They were all picked to win, not really to help govern.

Pawlenty is conservative enough to please the base, but appealing to independents. He could help in MN, WI, possibly MI.

No he would not help in Minnesota, where no ones cares about him anymore except people who really hate him, or in Wisconsin and Michigan, where no one cares about him period, and probably no one knows who he is except a few who might remember him from his trainwreck of a Presidential campaign and silly movie trailer ads.

However he is a "safe" and non-controversial choice.

T-Paw is the safest choice who has already been nationally "vetted" by the media since his presidential run, so there won't be any "shocking scandals" left to uncover, which may doom portman, thune, or rubio. 

But T-Paw will absolutely not help in any way or with any votes.  If he goes super-christian with the media, he might be able to help Romney's base supporters. 

But the good thing is he will "do no harm" 
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2012, 11:17:30 PM »

Look at Condi:

Pros:

* Foreign policy experience
* Well-known
* Minority
* Woman
* Highly qualified and vetted
* Not a politician

Cons:

* Links to Bush administration - while I think it'll be irrelevant in most circumstances, being the SOS and the NSA could lead to scandals on Iraq.
* Pro-choice
* Not a politician
* Black woman - though the states where this matters probably will vote Romney anyway.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2012, 11:20:55 PM »

Con: Pants on fire lying to get us into a $1 trillion war.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2012, 05:47:55 PM »

Look at Condi:

Pros:

* Foreign policy experience
* Well-known
* Minority
* Woman
* Highly qualified and vetted
* Not a politician

Cons:

* Links to Bush administration - while I think it'll be irrelevant in most circumstances, being the SOS and the NSA could lead to scandals on Iraq.
* Pro-choice
* Not a politician
* Black woman - though the states where this matters probably will vote Romney anyway.

Major con: Useless, bordering on detrimental, for any campaign wanting to focus on the economy as an issue. Picking someone who's background is entirely foriegn policy oriented when the economy strains to recover would strike voters as tone deaf.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2012, 05:57:46 PM »

The only reason I can see not to pick Rubio is he might overshadow/outshine Romney. As the last election showed, there is a different percieved gravitas between a first-term Senator and first term governor. Rubio gets a leg up over Martinez there. Don't know how she presents on camera and public speaking, but Rubio does so quite well indeed. He would likely pass the "voter comfort test".

Ironically, Palin's dismal performance may help him there. He'll initially be compared to Palin (statewide officeholder for only 2 years before tapped for Veep), and Rubio is at the opposite end of the spectrum in poise and speaking ability. The comparisons would only help elevate him.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2012, 06:15:15 PM »

Rubio doesn't want it. Rice doesn't either. I'm still predicting it will be Jindal or Ryan.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2012, 06:44:26 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2012, 07:33:05 PM by Mitt Romney, Economic Heavyweight »

Rubio is charismatic but too inexperienced.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2012, 10:25:40 PM »

The only reason I can see not to pick Rubio is he might overshadow/outshine Romney. As the last election showed, there is a different percieved gravitas between a first-term Senator and first term governor. Rubio gets a leg up over Martinez there. Don't know how she presents on camera and public speaking, but Rubio does so quite well indeed. He would likely pass the "voter comfort test".

Ironically, Palin's dismal performance may help him there. He'll initially be compared to Palin (statewide officeholder for only 2 years before tapped for Veep), and Rubio is at the opposite end of the spectrum in poise and speaking ability. The comparisons would only help elevate him.

Martinez seems extremely authentic. She could look women in the eye and connect. She's no Sarah Palin. And I don't think she's a risk, either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek3OSIQVYQE

You gotta admit--she's good. She's my choice for the 2020 Republican primaries.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2012, 01:29:53 AM »

It has to be someone whose last name begins with the letter R like Romney.

Either Rubio, Ryan, or Rice.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2012, 02:05:05 AM »

Martinez seems extremely authentic. She could look women in the eye and connect. She's no Sarah Palin. And I don't think she's a risk, either.

She genuinely doesn't seem to want it though.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2012, 02:33:55 AM »

It has to be someone whose last name begins with the letter R like Romney.

Either Rubio, Ryan, or Rice.

So that he can keep his big R? Maybe Cain will offer to change his name to Rain so that he can be a possibility.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2012, 02:40:54 AM »

She genuinely doesn't seem to want it though.

Well, everyone knows she'd quit part way through her term.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »

Question: Does anyone know just how pro-choice Rice is?

I'm thinking, if she's solidly pro-choice, Roe v Wade is good, I think that'll be a very difficult sell to the base that Romney needs to turn out. However, if she said "I'm personally pro-choice, and believe that decision should be made at the state, not federal level" could possibly make things better. Meh?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2012, 12:39:41 PM »

I was under the impression that she thinks Roe v. Wade struck an okay balance but was totally okay with Bush's abortion policies because it was definitely a terrible thing that really had to be discouraged. Sort of seemed like a more libertarian approach to it.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2012, 12:58:16 PM »

Rice is single and never married, which shouldn't matter, but would, obviously. As with Elena Kagan, people are going to unfairly assume she's a lesbian.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2012, 04:46:13 PM »

On the scale of 1 to 10, how grumpy would the conservatives get if Romney picked someone who was pro-choice?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2012, 04:58:06 PM »

On the scale of 1 to 10, how grumpy would the conservatives get if Romney picked someone who was pro-choice?

12. Romney has said pro-choicers are not even being considered.

Bull Moose Base

« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2012, 05:25:30 PM »

12. Romney has said pro-choicers are not even being considered.

That's the first thing I've read that makes me think Romney's going to pick a pro-choice running mate.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2012, 06:22:29 PM »

I don't think Rice is completely out of consideration, but it would really surprise me if she did end up as the pick.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2012, 07:10:58 PM »

Are you kidding? On what possible basis do you make that leap of faith?
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2012, 09:20:55 PM »

Condolezza Rice looks the best option for me, she would teach Romeny a little bit of foreign politics Tongue

Paul Ryan would teach Romney how to balance a budget and how to cut healthcare expenditures Tongue

Rubio would make Romney looks more acceptable to latin-americans Tongue

Palin would destroy him Wink So would Gingrich, Santorum or Perry

I don´t know much about Chris Christie but he has a nice name =P

Portman looks a serious guy and he would destroy Biden in the debate.

And the VP Nomination goes too....

Herman Cain!

He would teach Romney how to sell some Pizzas in case he lost the election!

Fargobison

« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2012, 10:02:34 PM »

Rice would be a bold choice, CNN had a poll that gave her something like an 80 percent favorable rating among Republicans so maybe the base would accept her or maybe they just don't completely understand her stance on abortion.

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2012, 10:25:37 PM »

Moderators, it would probably be a good idea to sticky this thread until the RNC Convention in late August.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2012, 10:51:06 PM »

Moderators, it would probably be a good idea to sticky this thread until the RNC Convention in late August.

I don't know.  Romney's VP selection is going to be a hot topic here for the next four months.  People are going to want to talk about it enough, that I'm not sure it makes sense to confine discussion to one thread.

Once there are actual leaks from the Romney campaign and we have something to go on other than speculation though, then it would probably make sense to have a "VP rumors" thread like this one from four years ago:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=81522.0

But it'll probably be some time before we're ready for that.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2012, 12:42:17 AM »

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/18/cnn-poll-republicans-divided-on-vp-choice/?hpt=hp_t2

CNN Poll:

Condoleezza Rice 26%
Rick Santorum 21%
Marco Rubio 14%
Chris Christie 14%
Paul Ryan 8%
Bobby Jindal 5%
Bob McDonnell at 1%

They should have put Scott Walker's name in there as well.  If he survives the recall and remains governor, that is one candidate who -besides putting much of the Midwest into play- can really set the Tea Party base on fire as a man that the Democrats and their labor union 'mafia' allies tried to get rid of in a high-profile vote, but failed.  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies