Atlasian Emergency CPR Caucus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:41:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian Emergency CPR Caucus
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Atlasian Emergency CPR Caucus  (Read 3622 times)
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 28, 2012, 05:32:09 PM »

Look guys, we all know this game is dying. A cancer has afflicted Atlasia and hope is far, far away. But I believe that we can reach for hope and grab it, therefore I am forming this caucus.

It's not a politically-partisan caucus, rather, it is dedicated to reviving Atlasia and making it interesting again. Making it fun.

Who's in?
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 07:17:47 AM »

I'm in.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 08:28:06 AM »

Smiley
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 08:36:15 AM »

20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 08:49:58 AM »

Smiley
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 09:23:16 AM »

I believe that term limits can save Atlasia and inflow new blood. Opinions?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 11:45:08 AM »

Might as well join.  I'm willing to do most anything it takes to promote activism here.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 11:46:29 AM »

I strongly oppose term limits.  The parties already seem to be having a rough time recruiting candidates for special elections, as it is.  Term limits would just lead to new vacancies and would inevitably have to be repealed for the game to survive.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 11:48:23 AM »

I strongly oppose term limits.  The parties already seem to be having a rough time recruiting candidates for special elections, as it is.  Term limits would just lead to new vacancies and would inevitably have to be repealed for the game to survive.
But veterans running for one more 9001st term would just alienate newbies.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 11:52:32 AM »

I strongly oppose term limits.  The parties already seem to be having a rough time recruiting candidates for special elections, as it is.  Term limits would just lead to new vacancies and would inevitably have to be repealed for the game to survive.
But veterans running for one more 9001st term would just alienate newbies.

Which we don't have many of right now.  Regions that lack a sufficient number of active players would suffer for this if no one in a region is able to run.  And personally, I oppose term limits because I feel it should be up to the voters to decide if their officeholders have been in the government for too long.  If anything, this issue would be better left to the regions and not the federal government.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 11:58:41 AM »

Lets say I did retire and you ran to replace me Pingvin, how would you running unopposed be any different then me running unopposed?

Just swapping the chairs has limited mileage, and in a primarily elections sim you need competative elections. Barring a group of people from running in a game where we can barely find people to run as it is, isn't going to increase the number of competative elections.

Keep in mind that with Duke and bgwah now gone, this issue only applies to one person. Tongue
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 12:18:04 PM »

Right now the problem (at least in the Senate) is definitely not a lack of new blood; it's all the old blood leaving en masse. Kicking Yankee out the door would only exacerbate the problem. We've had such a varied membership in the Senate over the last month it's been difficult to keep track of who's even there right now.

On the regional level, a lot of the problem is that by removing the parties, we've also removed most of the infrastructure that reminded people to vote and recruited new members. We no longer have the two parties offering to do goodness only knows what to try and get some old, marginally active voter to hang in there a little longer and vote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 12:29:01 PM »

One "stir up the pot" proposal has already been implemented. I think we should be very carefull to embrace future such ideas on that basis alone.

For the record: I never "offered" anything, I just asked them to vote out of the kindness of their own heart. Tongue Then JJ went bananas early last year and that policy was canned. The RPP voter role became segregated based on "Risk of PM backfiring" and people deemed such were not contacted as part of "party-wide" GOTV efforts. That worked out very well when it came to losing all those 1 and 2 vote margin elections. Wink
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 12:37:09 PM »

By "offering" I was more imagining what lengths bgwah must have gone through to find those one or two votes the RPP always lost by at 11:57 PM Sunday night Tongue

For the record, I do not mean to accuse anyone of anything that may be or has been illegal. This is all hypothetical conjecture on the sudden drop in Atlasian turnout. Wink
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 12:49:13 PM »

Lets say I did retire and you ran to replace me Pingvin, how would you running unopposed be any different then me running unopposed?
I'll run unopposed only two times and retire due to my principles.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 12:52:18 PM »

He "got the job done", you might say. Tongue

What hurt us the most in this recent problem was the lack of Senate debate. There normally is a lag and a reluctance to start bills untill the PPT takes over because they can't controll the threads and so forth until they cycle out and that can stifle a debate or lead to votes not being done quickly do to the headings being out of date. The problem is this time, the PPT never took over the job. He just vanished.

Beyond that is that lack of participation and involvement by the citizenry. I think there is a desire to please and a desire to not offend, coupled with a desire to not tank one's political ambitions down the road and thus it is "safer" to be silent. That leads to boredome and to even more inactivity.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 03:32:38 PM »

The official caucus holds no opinion, as the focus should be to just revitalize the game.

I personally believe term limits are up to the individual politician, whether or not they want to continue. If The People continue to elect a particular politician, so be it. It's the will of the voter.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 11:57:17 PM »

Too bad you guys don't have some evil party boss recruiting "zombies" to run for office, or run the Senate for you, or maintain the Wiki for you.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 12:58:43 AM »

I don't think term limits would accomplish anything, given the apparent lack of interest from anyone. I posted that I was thinking about retirement after this term. Thing is, nobody seemed to notice it & the people who I have been considering for a successor have been hardly any more active than myself.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 04:29:09 AM »

i'll join this caucus if it's about Atlasia making statements about moderation and miscellaneous effect on forum business/policy, so involving is into some actual power.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 03:44:49 PM »

I think part of problem is that ideology is an essential component and atleast as far as the right is concerned, it is a practical impossibility. Hence what I meant about it being safer to be silent. I believe it was bgwah who wondered aloud where the Conservative opposition was to certain bills when he was surprised to see the unanimity or near unanimous voting on those measures. This is partially why such "controversial" items in RL are either sailed through with broad support or receive negative votes without much arguments against the bill.

The other reason for those types of results is the fact that there is little concept or desire frankly for a unified conservative movement intellectually more or less politically. When I was chairman of the RPP, I had American Conservatives (especially on the religious right) wonder why we had so many moderates, liberals and OMG Europeans. I also had certain moderate/liberal/OMG Europeans wonder why far right American conservatives had a right to exist more or less get a seat at the table.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2012, 11:59:13 AM »

I would like to ask a question of this Caucus: do you feel we have the luxury to wait for the next batch of elections in order to light the fuse of a transition of power; and, if so since the current governmental structures have so plainly failed us, why are we still obligated to abide by them?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 12:06:03 PM »

I smell treason, Tweed. Tongue

Also, if the caucus wants to help. Contact your Senators to demand action. This no work on weekends sh**t is over. They can't take it, they should resign. An active presiding officer can only do so much. The Senators have to start debating and discussing what I have put up so far. It is a mix of old stuff and newer bills sought by the administation.

Contacting me will be redundant, but I promise to make it interesting if you do. Tongue
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2012, 12:54:58 PM »

I would like to ask a question of this Caucus: do you feel we have the luxury to wait for the next batch of elections in order to light the fuse of a transition of power; and, if so since the current governmental structures have so plainly failed us, why are we still obligated to abide by them?

I personally believe we should not have to wait for activity, it should be demanded of leaders to do it without asking. The next President/group of senators/etc should be active ones and if not, revolution may be necessary.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2012, 01:19:37 PM »

Should we amend the Constitution to order a minimum amount of debate per day or just hope the will of the people and the lifeblood of the Senate will do it on their own?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies