NYC Dept. Of Education Wants 50 ‘Forbidden’ Words Banned (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:23:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYC Dept. Of Education Wants 50 ‘Forbidden’ Words Banned (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYC Dept. Of Education Wants 50 ‘Forbidden’ Words Banned  (Read 3916 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 29, 2012, 01:07:44 AM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
NYC Department of Education.....between this and $65million a year "rubber room" (which is also an offensive phrase) fiasco, the ridiculously overpowered teachers unions and I'm sure a million other horrible stories we probably don't know about....how do they manage to teach anything?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 01:39:26 AM »

How does the word "dancing" make a test inaccessible?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 09:13:43 AM »

These words are already banned from big standardized tests like the ACT and SAT.
cite?  Google is giving me nothing except new standards to combat cheating links...and my Google Fu is normally pretty strong.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 11:11:20 AM »

The word "dinosaur" does not suggest evolution.  As most things like this, they didn't talk to people from the groups that they thought might be offended.  Not mentioning divorce is probably sensible.
How is "divorce" bad or offensive.  Do children of divorce need to avoid the word?  I can understand keeping honestly offensive words out of standardized tests (3 Heebs walk into a deli with $5.45 between them...), but words that are in our common lexicon shouldn't be avoided because it might make some kid somewhere remember that his parents got divorced last year.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 11:39:26 PM »

Some of those make perfect sense, there is no reason to expect every 9 year old (or hell, 15 year old) to know what a "regatta" is.  That kind of word shouldn't be on a test.  But "elderly" should be avoided when talking about the elderly?  How is "deaf and hard of hearing" better than "hearing impared"?  It don't make no sense to me.

Just to be clear, on the scale of 1-100 on the "outrage" meter, this scores about a 11.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies