Pasadena Police slay unarmed black teenager
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:23:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pasadena Police slay unarmed black teenager
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pasadena Police slay unarmed black teenager  (Read 858 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 01, 2012, 04:21:44 PM »
« edited: April 01, 2012, 04:28:41 PM by Jacobtm »

A man was robbed and called 911 to report it, saying the thiefs had put a gun in his face.

The police then killed an unarmed black kid.

They say he ''reached for his waistband'', so 2 police fired 8 shots, killing him on a street corner.

He had no weapon.

And so the police blamed the killing on their state of mind, being told that these robbers were armed. So they arrested the guy who called 911, since apparently there was no gun to begin with.

And the dead kid? Well, I haven't found anything even implying he was guilty of the robbery to begin wtih.

Absolutely insane.

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_20281352/911-caller-arrested-after-pasadena-police-kill-teen

I was once patted down by cops because I had my hand on my waistband as I was walking down the street. Luckily I'm white so they didn't kill me.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 04:30:55 PM »

Must be black boy hunting season for law enforcement.  Tongue
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 05:20:38 PM »

A man was robbed and called 911 to report it, saying the thiefs had put a gun in his face.

The police then killed an unarmed black kid.

They say he ''reached for his waistband'', so 2 police fired 8 shots, killing him on a street corner.

He had no weapon.

And so the police blamed the killing on their state of mind, being told that these robbers were armed. So they arrested the guy who called 911, since apparently there was no gun to begin with.

And the dead kid? Well, I haven't found anything even implying he was guilty of the robbery to begin wtih.

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_20281352/911-caller-arrested-after-pasadena-police-kill-teen

I was once patted down by cops because I had my hand on my waistband as I was walking down the street. Luckily I'm white so they didn't kill me.

"[Pasadena Police Chief] Sanchez said a videotape shot near the taco truck shows the 17-year-old (see below) reaching into Carrillo's car and allegedly grabbing both a backpack and a laptop computer. Sanchez said [dead man] McDade acted as a "lookout" during the alleged burglary."

"The 17-year-old robbery suspect was later arrested and was charged Tuesday with two felony counts of commercial burglary, one felony count of grand theft property and one misdemeanor count of failing to register as a gang member, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office. "
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 05:26:06 PM »

Jimrtex, can you think of any instance in which the police have ever been wrong in killing someone? Cuz you stick up for them an awful lot.
Jacobtm

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 06:20:10 PM »
« Edited: April 01, 2012, 06:22:46 PM by Jacobtm »

"[Pasadena Police Chief] Sanchez said a videotape shot near the taco truck shows the 17-year-old (see below) reaching into Carrillo's car and allegedly grabbing both a backpack and a laptop computer. Sanchez said [dead man] McDade acted as a "lookout" during the alleged burglary."

"The 17-year-old robbery suspect was later arrested and was charged Tuesday with two felony counts of commercial burglary, one felony count of grand theft property and one misdemeanor count of failing to register as a gang member, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office. "

And still they slayed an unarmed man on the street.

And this happened because they believed he had a gun, because of a lie told to the police.

Do you see the reason that people should be allowed a trial before being shot dead in the street?
Jacobtm

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 06:25:49 PM »

Jimrtex, can you think of any instance in which the police have ever been wrong in killing someone? Cuz you stick up for them an awful lot.

It's instructive. Many people simply like seeing this kind of violence. Surely it has nothing to do with the race of the departed.

They believe that it's especially justified against a criminal. This man was apparently an accesory to robbery, so some people rejoice in seeing him shot dead. Trayvon Martin had an empty bag that used to have weed in it, so some people think he had it coming. It's a sick attitude, looking for even the slimmest justification to end a man's life.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 06:35:28 PM »

And this happened because they believed he had a gun, because of a lie told to the police.

Do you see the reason that people should be allowed a trial before being shot dead in the street?

And, how exactly would that differ in kind from someone kidnapping, or heaven forbid, murdering
George Zimmerman because MSNBC, and, others, lied about Zimmerman?

For instance, the Black Panthers have offered a $10,000 bounty for Zimmerman's kidnapping. Could their decision to advocate his kidnapping have something to do with MSNBC falsely claiming Zimmerman said, "He was acting suspiciously. He was Black." when Zimmerman said no such thing?
Jacobtm

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 08:14:06 PM »

And, how exactly would that differ in kind from someone kidnapping, or heaven forbid, murdering

For instance, the Black Panthers have offered a $10,000 bounty for Zimmerman's kidnapping. Could their decision to advocate his kidnapping have something to do with MSNBC falsely claiming Zimmerman said, "He was acting suspiciously. He was Black." when Zimmerman said no such thing?

What the hell are you talking about man?

McDade was killed.

No one has killed Zimmerman.

Why are you trying to diminish the slaying of an unarmed man by speculating about someone else unjustly being killed?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 08:59:47 PM »

So one of the officers shot at him, missed, and the other officer pursued and then shot him dead? If that is the case, why aren't the officers charged with anything? And the guy who might have made a mistake when reporting the crime gets booked with a misdemeanor? What a bunch of crap.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 11:27:05 PM »

While you have the right principle in mind, the extent to which you take it is a bit ridiculous.  Saying that people should have a trial before police take lethal action is just as extreme as the officers' action here.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 11:35:35 PM »

Why don't they use non lethal weapons more? Those usually don't kill, although people have died from them.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 01:30:48 AM »

Recent weeks have really shown that extreme racism is alive and well in this country. Pretty scary.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 01:39:40 AM »

Recent weeks have really shown that extreme racism is alive and well in this country. Pretty scary.

Do we even know the race of the officers in this case?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 03:01:10 AM »

Pasadena cops are terrible.  I looked at one at red light when I was down there a few years ago and pulled me over after the green to give me a warning that my right taillight was dim; after he checked my ID and ran my license plate, of course.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 03:10:09 AM »

I should have been more careful in my presentation, for those who have less reading comprehension.

Jacobtm wrote:

I read the article that he linked to, and I listened to the recording of the 911 call.

And I then quoted the portion of the article that he had linked to that at least implies that the dead teenager (19 year old) was guilty of the robbery.

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 03:33:33 AM »

You wrote: Well, I haven't found anything even implying he was guilty of the robbery to begin wtih.

Why did you write that?

My interpretation was that you had looked, but had failed to find any information.  I presumed that you would be interested in knowing what you had failed to find.

I don't see the connection between your inability to discover what was in the article you linked to, and that a person was shot.

Yes.  It would appear that Carrillo is being charged with involuntary manslaughter because of his gross negligence (eg assuming the police wouldn't respond to a snatch of a backpack from an unlocked car).  There may be more to the case.

Is you last question rhetorical?
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 08:21:45 AM »

As someone who's planning to be employed in the NYPD I'm always kind of in the middle on these kind of controversies. On one hand I do think a lot of these shooting are unjustified and excessive but on the other hand someone can say " They're reaching for their wallet" and pull out their gun. If I think  about it from a cops point of view at the end of the day just being in that kind of job is putting you at risk and you still have a family back at home and on those streets failure to react in a split second could leave you dead.

Jacobtm

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 10:33:57 AM »

No it wasn't.

I got the impression you were justifying the slaying by providing the information that the slain was indeed suspected of being an accessory to robbery.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 10:43:41 AM »

So one of the officers shot at him, missed, and the other officer pursued and then shot him dead? If that is the case, why aren't the officers charged with anything? And the guy who might have made a mistake when reporting the crime gets booked with a misdemeanor? What a bunch of crap.
If the videotape shows the burglary, and Carrillo just sees the two running off with his backpack, or perhaps going over to his car as they run off and discovers that they had taken his backpack, and then pulls out his cell phone and calls the police, it is more than a mistake.

If you follow the original link, it has a recording of the 911 call, in which Carrillo starts the call by stating that there was a gun involved.  If the videotape shows that he wasn't near to them, then he was adding the gun part in order to get the police to respond quicker.  I don't think that he can argue that he was confused, especially after he changes in the middle of the call to say that they both had guns.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 10:57:20 AM »

Yeah I dunno what the circumstances are with Carrillo. But I'm wondering why the cops aren't being charged if he was shot while in pursuit as the link seems to indicate.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 12:51:17 PM »

What the hell are you talking about man?

McDade was killed.

No one has killed Zimmerman.

Why are you trying to diminish the slaying of an unarmed man by speculating about someone else unjustly being killed?

The alleged lie told to 911 in the California case was no less prejudicial than MSNBC falsely quoting Zimmerman as racially profiling Martin as "suspicious" because he was Black.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 01:07:20 PM »

Yeah I dunno what the circumstances are with Carrillo. But I'm wondering why the cops aren't being charged if he was shot while in pursuit as the link seems to indicate.

That's a good question. Seems either the police could have charged one of their own, or Carrillo. Those choice to charge Carrillo. I find it problematic to assume that during live fire a fleeing suspect reaching into his waistband would be interpreted as threatening only if the fleeing suspect was known to be armed.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 02:01:11 PM »

Hory [Inks], I live right next door to Pasadena.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 03:56:05 PM »

Maybe it is still under investigation.

Maybe in California they don't let the police departments do the investigation of shootings by their own officers.  In Texas, it is an automatic grand jury.
Jacobtm

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 03:57:37 PM »

The alleged lie told to 911 in the California case was no less prejudicial than MSNBC falsely quoting Zimmerman as racially profiling Martin as "suspicious" because he was Black.

But that has nothing to do with anything.

A man was shot dead without causing or threatening any harm to anyone.

And you're mad that Zimmerman has been maligned in the media after slaying an unarmed teen.

That makes no sense, unless you're just trying to avoid talking about the tragic deaths of teens who should be alive.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies