Jerry Brown Defines a Millionaire
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:19:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Jerry Brown Defines a Millionaire
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jerry Brown Defines a Millionaire  (Read 1573 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2012, 10:26:48 AM »

And here I thought the "the math" fad was dead. Actually a Millionaire is one earning about $33,000 a year, because over one's working lifetime of say 33 years, that equals a million too baby. Four years just has no clear limiting principle, while your working lifetime does - we all get old and just fade away.  What could be more clearly limiting than that?

First they came after the millionaires, and then the millionaires divided by four, and then by ten, and then they came after you.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 10:40:18 AM »

That's a better definition than the asinine definition that appears to have somehow become the norm, where only people earning a million or more a year are millionaires. If you have more than a million dollars, you're a millionaire, no matter how long it took to collect that money.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 11:58:34 AM »

That's a better definition than the asinine definition that appears to have somehow become the norm, where only people earning a million or more a year are millionaires. If you have more than a million dollars, you're a millionaire, no matter how long it took to collect that money.

Yes, they call that a wealth tax.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 03:05:56 PM »

And being a millionaire is better than not being a millionaire. And the fact that being a millionaire is better than not being a millionaire is better than the shouldn't-become-a-fact that being a millionaire is frowned upon.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 03:12:56 PM »

I don't know...could you please enlighten me?

Millionaires are the class enemy, Vosem.  They kill the rest, so the rest should return the favor.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 04:03:48 PM »

You'd have thought that the best definition of someone who's a millionaire is someone whose assets exceed $999,999.99. But go figure, that definition must make too much sense for it to be workable.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 04:06:41 PM »

Millionaires are the class enemy, Vosem.  They kill the rest, so the rest should return the favor.

Calling millionaires a coherent 'class' is a stretch, but I suppose you could say that. But millionaires certainly don't kill 'the rest'; slightly more than 80% of US millionaires are self-made, which means they've survived being part of 'the rest' to become millionaires themselves.

They certainly don't kill people -- in the US, the likeliest murderer is someone with a low income killing someone of similar social status.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 05:11:11 PM »

Calling millionaires a coherent 'class' is a stretch, but I suppose you could say that. But millionaires certainly don't kill 'the rest'; slightly more than 80% of US millionaires are self-made, which means they've survived being part of 'the rest' to become millionaires themselves.

They certainly don't kill people -- in the US, the likeliest murderer is someone with a low income killing someone of similar social status.

I take it that you are not familiar with opebo's point of view on these matters.  Have fun. Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 06:51:44 PM »

First they came after the millionaires, and then the millionaires divided by four, and then by ten, and then they came after you.

oh man your sense of humor is cruel.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 06:53:37 PM »

God bless Jerry Brown.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 07:47:46 PM »

Yeah, he should just come out and say it's a tax on anyone making more than 250k. He should still be fine politically. Though I don't know what this has to do with limiting principles and age....yes, health care is special and the government should get more leeway there than when regulating other industries. Deal with it! Smiley
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 08:05:45 PM »

Comparing progressive taxation to the holocaust. Nice Torie.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »

And here I thought the "the math" fad was dead. Actually a Millionaire is one earning about $33,000 a year, because over one's working lifetime of say 33 years, that equals a million too baby. Four years just has no clear limiting principle, while your working lifetime does - we all get old and just fade away.  What could be more clearly limiting than that?

Oh look, the slippery slope fallacy!

Brown should have worded this better. Calling it the 250k+ tax would work just as well.

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 09:03:09 PM »

Well, most people who make that much probably already have millions in assets and savings, built up over time before they even hit $250k. For most, it's a long road to that amount of yearly income and it really is the point where millionaire status starts to be really sustained. It's not true in all situations, but it is true a very great deal of them and it makes sense for taxation brackets to be set by it.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 09:09:21 PM »

The Republican cult of victimization has no shame. Surely, this is not news to you.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 09:21:41 PM »

The Republican cult of victimization has no shame. Surely, this is not news to you.

'The Holocaust was worse' is not a good way to defend anything. Even though that's true.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 09:39:42 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2012, 09:48:09 PM by Torie »

I wasn't even thinking of the holocaust, and I am not even sure the phrase arose from that. In any event, I am surprised that you would think I am comparing it to that, which is ludicrous. Did you really think I equated the two Lief?  Rather, I was making the comment that first they go after the millionaires calling them rich, and before you know it, what is rich just keeps getting lower and lower because the government needs the money. My real point is that the middle class has a false sense of security with all this soak the rick talk, which isn't going to raise nearly enough revenue even if it happened. Either they are going to have to pay more too, a lot more, or we are going to have to cut back substantially on the entitlement state, including inter alia public employee defined benefit entitlements. It is either one or the other.

I suspect by the way, that getting the top rate in CA up to 13% will probably reduce revenue. Why? Because it will drive more capital gains recognitions out of the state, and more will find it worthwhile to stay outside the state for 187 days a year. In any event, it is not going to raise much. I suspect that rate hits a tipping point. Heck I could just put all my real estate into an LLC, move out of the state, and sell the LLC to someone. The state will not get that 13% on any gain from sale. Of course the higher the tax, the more incentive there is to sell not at all, and just hold on until you die, and get a step up in basis. If you need cash in the meantime, just borrow against the asset.

One thing leads to another - always.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 09:51:54 PM »

Actually, he compared it Fascist governments, since the quote first mentions Communists and trade unionists.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 10:04:26 PM »

Cuz after spending a million dollars on a house in California, people will totally commute to work for half the year from Texas to save a couple of percent in taxes Roll Eyes Perhaps I should drive a few states away to get cheaper gas while I'm at it. And feigning ignorance of the Holocaust poem that has been repeatedly and without shame used by the right to compare Obama to Hitler is really lame. You made the comment. Stand by it.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 10:04:52 PM »

I don't even know why Brown is doing this. There are a lot of rich democrats in CA who are big donors to the party. This could hurt him in areas like San Mateo County or West LA.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 10:16:45 PM »

I don't even know why Brown is doing this. There are a lot of rich democrats in CA who are big donors to the party. This could hurt him in areas like San Mateo County or West LA.
He's doing it because California is broke and it's a more appealing option than laying off police officers.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 10:25:29 PM »

Actually Brown said that individuals making $250,000 a year or couples making $500,000 a year can become millionaires rather quickly. The tax only affects incomes above those thresholds.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 11:12:06 PM »

Cuz after spending a million dollars on a house in California, people will totally commute to work for half the year from Texas to save a couple of percent in taxes Roll Eyes Perhaps I should drive a few states away to get cheaper gas while I'm at it. And feigning ignorance of the Holocaust poem that has been repeatedly and without shame used by the right to compare Obama to Hitler is really lame. You made the comment. Stand by it.

I stand by it. I explained it. I regret that you think I "feigned" something. It was a turn of phrase used far more widely now (I really didn't know its origin, but that is beside the point), and to suggest that I am comparing anything involving what I think might be prudential tax policy to the holocaust amazes me.  Sure, some for the shorter term some will not be able to escape at least as to their earned income. Over time, CA will have to have rather substantial other advantages, to avoid a rather substantial exit. Thank God for Hollywood. It is a problem with federalism - one of the problems.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2012, 12:43:52 PM »

I suspect by the way, that getting the top rate in CA up to 13% will probably reduce revenue.

Isn't the top rate only around 10% right now, or even lower? And how much is Brown planning on raising them? I thought it was only 1%. Where is the 13% coming from?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2012, 06:01:24 PM »

I suspect by the way, that getting the top rate in CA up to 13% will probably reduce revenue.

Isn't the top rate only around 10% right now, or even lower? And how much is Brown planning on raising them? I thought it was only 1%. Where is the 13% coming from?

From here.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies