1000 posts!!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:34:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  1000 posts!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1000 posts!!!  (Read 514 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2012, 04:12:44 PM »

Didn't quite realize it at the time of the thousandth post (would've made it something special), but I am now a thousand-poster, after more than 3 years on the forum. My actual thousandth post was a rebuttal of something opebo said, will quote it in a second.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 04:13:19 PM »

I don't know...could you please enlighten me?

Millionaires are the class enemy, Vosem.  They kill the rest, so the rest should return the favor.

Calling millionaires a coherent 'class' is a stretch, but I suppose you could say that. But millionaires certainly don't kill 'the rest'; slightly more than 80% of US millionaires are self-made, which means they've survived being part of 'the rest' to become millionaires themselves.

They certainly don't kill people -- in the US, the likeliest murderer is someone with a low income killing someone of similar social status.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 04:22:11 PM »

1.2 post per day. LOL. Wink

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I highly doubt it.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 04:39:48 PM »

1.2 post per day. LOL. Wink

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I highly doubt it.

True. But that overstates class mobility in the US - most self-made US millionaires come from center- or upper-middle class households -- not millionaires, but their parents made several hundred thousand per year, and they upped the ante a little -- only 1/3 of US millionaires have a net worth of more than $3 million. I'm using the Chamber of Commerce as a source (obviously somewhat biased).

The one person I've known in my life who had a net worth of more than $3 million was a family friend who died several years ago. He lived in Manhattan; he was a self-made man who worked as a dentist for the very rich and powerful, eventually becoming very wealthy himself. When I knew him, he had been retired for several years, and was a little bit of a crank. He had foreign policy views similar to Jacobtm; he was very opposed to the Iraq War and so on and so forth. He was the exact opposite of ostentatious; he didn't own a car, preferring to use public transportation; once, he dragged my uncle along into spending five hours trying to find a certain type of shoe for a price several dollars lower than it was usually sold. After not finding it, he decided to buy a different, cheaper kind of shoe. His economic views were quite conservative - he came from a working-class background and truly believed anyone with a good education and sufficient determination and luck could become just as successful as he was. His wife had died several years before we met him, and he was estranged from his only son, though I never knew the details. When he died, he left his money to a veterans' charity.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 05:32:53 PM »

Congrats Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 05:34:17 PM »

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 07:12:28 PM »

You are now a YABB God Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 05:09:52 AM »

I find it a bit ridiculous that after 1000 posts you have reached the highest rank in forum hierarchy even though some people here have over 50,000 posts.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 05:16:55 AM »

It's a flat hierarchy. Now all we need to do is abolish the rank above God (Mod). Cheesy
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies