Honest, unbiased review of British healthcare system
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:16:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Honest, unbiased review of British healthcare system
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Honest, unbiased review of British healthcare system  (Read 5507 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2005, 02:05:23 PM »

How about this review of British healthcare: have you seen their teeth?

Have you seen the teeth of most people in the good ol' U.S. of A.? I don't know anyone who's 30 and still has all their teeth.

Guess you don't get out of the trailer park much. Wink
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2005, 02:33:49 PM »

How about this review of British healthcare: have you seen their teeth?

Have you seen the teeth of most people in the good ol' U.S. of A.? I don't know anyone who's 30 and still has all their teeth.

Guess you don't get out of the trailer park much. Wink

That's precisely the point - the working poor in the US cannot afford medical care, much less dental care.  And yes, a great many of them live in trailer parks.
scorpiogurl
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2005, 02:58:41 PM »

As a nurse who works in the UK NHS service, I would like to say that it is NOT in terrible shape!!! I think it is fair to say there is much room for improvement and much scope for debate on how we can better do things.

The NHS is in far better shape than it was under the Tory governments (and I am not a partisan voter). In the last year of John Major's government, the nursing school in Birmingham had finance to train 120 nurses. Within 12 months of Tony Blair being elected the annual intake was 450......that has to be an improvement.

The area where I work, Oncology, has had millions of pounds spent under this present Labour government, improving facilities and equipment. The hospital where I work is moving to a brand new site......where it will have an additional CT scanner and additional radiotherapy machines to treat patients.

My own view is that the NHS under the Tories was dying.......and would have died. The Tories (or perhaps more properly Margaret Thatcher) had a HIDDEN agenda to privatise healthcare.

Personally, I believe that the privatisation debate is a valid debate, but the Tories made the mistake of claiming to "The NHS was safe in their hands" whilst beginning to dismantle it.........they misled the people and paid the price at the polls. Better to be honest about their vision for healthcare.

David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2005, 05:25:59 PM »

How about this review of British healthcare: have you seen their teeth? No, it's not a stereotype, dental care is pretty terrible+ over there. American dentists never cease to be amazed how bad Britain is in that regard.

Teeth tend to be a problem here. Most Americans have many fillings.
I have several friends from India who have perfect teeth. Most of them never had a cavity. It would be interesting to see if there has ever been a study to determine why. My guess is that its due to their diet, although it could be heredity. I don't think regular dental care is common in India.

Personally I have a mouthful of fillings. My daughters, both in their mid twenties have very few fillings. I would attribute that to regular dental care in their case.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2005, 08:29:48 PM »

Diet matters, also in the US flouride is in the water supply which means younger people only have cavities from extreme negligence.

Nevertheless, compare the teeth of middle-class Americans to middle-class Brits. The Americans come out way ahead. Admittedly the poor in the US are not be as well off, but still not horrible.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies