Mark Thatcher to plead guilty to funding E. Guinea coup plot (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:37:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Mark Thatcher to plead guilty to funding E. Guinea coup plot (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mark Thatcher to plead guilty to funding E. Guinea coup plot  (Read 1617 times)
Jens
Angola

« on: January 12, 2005, 07:11:56 PM »

Some would argue that it's white rule that caused most of these problems.

Maybe, but now that these white rulers are gone why are all of these bad things happening?

Because the whites went in, ravaged these countries, and then left.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an imperialist, but the Europeans made grave mistakes.

Ah, it is refreshing to meet a fellow imperialist

I agree, that actions and policies commited by Europeans in Africa have had a large contribution to the mess it is today.  Still, blaming it on Europe doesn't solve anything.  I would say in a short answer that Africa needs some severe westernization, they need a helping/guiding hand and it needs to be forced if necessary.  This should not be done to exploit European interests like before, but for the interests of Africans.  modernize and democracize
Yet another "White Mans Burden"
First of all, Africa isn't just Africa, but many very diverse countries with different problems.
Second, African countries don't need "Westernisation" whatever that is - more sitcoms perhaps!
Many African countries are troubled by a very agricultural economy based on producing cash crops, but the value of agricultural products has been in a steady decline ever since independence, while the price of industrial products has risen a lot the last 50 years. At the same time the access to modern medicine has caused an increase in population that has little or no change of getting a job as long as the African countries continue to have a agriculturally based economy.

But why don't they start to produce industrial products. First of all, limited acces to capital (primary lenders are IMF and the World Bank) and fierce competition on the world marked
And the second and very important reason protective trade tariffs in the OECD countries effectively limiting or even killing the competative possibilities they might  have had of selling any manufactured products.

Of cause there are numerous other reasons - bad governance, brain drain, corruption (but that didn't stop Italy), but the unability to enjoy real free trade is the main obstacle to African development
Jens
Angola

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 07:34:32 PM »

Some would argue that it's white rule that caused most of these problems.

Maybe, but now that these white rulers are gone why are all of these bad things happening?

Because the whites went in, ravaged these countries, and then left.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an imperialist, but the Europeans made grave mistakes.

Ah, it is refreshing to meet a fellow imperialist

I agree, that actions and policies commited by Europeans in Africa have had a large contribution to the mess it is today.  Still, blaming it on Europe doesn't solve anything.  I would say in a short answer that Africa needs some severe westernization, they need a helping/guiding hand and it needs to be forced if necessary.  This should not be done to exploit European interests like before, but for the interests of Africans.  modernize and democracize

Is that you Rudyard Kipling?  Jens basically covered all I was going to say.
Sorry for stealing your line ;-)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies