SENATE BILL: The New Atlasian Healthcare Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:32:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The New Atlasian Healthcare Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The New Atlasian Healthcare Act (Law'd)  (Read 19328 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2012, 06:48:06 PM »

I would support covering cochlear implants. Not sure about speech-language pathology though. I read the wiki and couldn't find anything worth supporting....but maybe you can change my mind. Is this working with people who stutter, have lisps and other speech disorders?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2012, 09:25:46 PM »

I would support covering cochlear implants. Not sure about speech-language pathology though. I read the wiki and couldn't find anything worth supporting....but maybe you can change my mind. Is this working with people who stutter, have lisps and other speech disorders?

Precisely.  There's no reason why we shouldn't cover SLP if we're covering mental health issues... if Atlasia's progressed to the point that we realize that mental problems aren't just a "character flaw" and deserve treatment and help, why shouldn't we do the same for people who stutter or have even more serious language impairments?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2012, 12:38:18 PM »

Senators have 72 hours to object to Senator Scott's assumption of sponsorship.

How does the new sponsor view my amendment?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2012, 12:47:26 PM »

I would not support covering cochlear implants because I do not support the biomedical model of disability.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2012, 01:53:30 PM »

The amendment is unfriendly.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2012, 02:12:16 PM »

Precisely.  There's no reason why we shouldn't cover SLP if we're covering mental health issues... if Atlasia's progressed to the point that we realize that mental problems aren't just a "character flaw" and deserve treatment and help, why shouldn't we do the same for people who stutter or have even more serious language impairments?

Ok, yeah that sounds like something worthwhile of funding. Though I should ask, is there evidence of these therapies working?

Also Nathan, can you further explain why you don't support cochlear implants? Just not believing in disability is hardly adequate.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2012, 02:39:51 PM »

Ok, yeah that sounds like something worthwhile of funding. Though I should ask, is there evidence of these therapies working?

Also Nathan, can you further explain why you don't support cochlear implants? Just not believing in disability is hardly adequate.

It's not that I disbelieve in disability per se, but my first instinct is to oppose this because of personal connections, through friends, to Deaf culture (as opposed to simply deaf people), so I would need to know whether or not we're funding schools for the deaf/schools for the blind/whatever and other such things before I would be able to rationally alter that instinctual position. If we might fund social programs for disabled people, to be run by and for disabled people, then I would drop my objections to funding what I personally view as a falsely 'corrective' medical attitude towards these things for those people who might want it.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2012, 03:43:11 PM »

I need to understand a bit more about Deaf culture. Are they saying that being deaf is alright? I mean it's definitely fine and they are just normal human beings but I would think being able to hear, or being able to hear better would be preferable......
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2012, 06:34:30 PM »

I need to understand a bit more about Deaf culture. Are they saying that being deaf is alright? I mean it's definitely fine and they are just normal human beings but I would think being able to hear, or being able to hear better would be preferable......

Don't let the Deaf community hear you say that.  I think the community is pretty awesome, personally, so if we also want to fund deaf schools, etc. some in this bill, I'd be fine with it.  I think it's important that we give families a choice.  While, like I said, I do appreciate the Deaf community and its contributions, I also think both sides of the CI debate need to realize that hearing need not prevent you from being Deaf.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2012, 06:39:35 PM »

Well, I'm baffled why one would not want to have all five senses but regardless I support funding deaf schools. Maybe in a separate bill though, lest we go down the path of the US congress. Tongue
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2012, 11:08:22 PM »

Well, I'm baffled why one would not want to have all five senses but regardless I support funding deaf schools. Maybe in a separate bill though, lest we go down the path of the US congress. Tongue

If one's been deaf for a very long time one apparently doesn't perceive it as a loss. I'm not sure what precise perceived benefits it would bring, but I assume they're mostly cultural vis-a-vis other deaf people. Hence the idea of a Deaf culture.

I'll work on rustling up some sort of deaf schools bill next week.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2012, 05:01:46 PM »

Well, it would help deaf people in the workplace and school one would imagine. I understand why from the perspective of someone who is deaf it might not seem like a loss, but I think it's apparent they would benefit in the larger society if they were able to hear.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2012, 06:32:16 PM »

The below amendment is now at vote, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

I can't update the Noticeboard or the tracker till later.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2012, 06:33:11 PM »

Nay
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2012, 07:29:52 PM »

Abstain
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2012, 07:57:02 PM »

Yup Grin
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2012, 09:03:18 PM »

Nay.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2012, 09:34:23 PM »

Aye
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2012, 05:26:50 AM »

Abstain.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2012, 11:54:13 AM »

Aye
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2012, 02:07:06 PM »

I suggest mentioning the health payroll part of the funding in the text of this bill (whether you keep it as is, change it or repeal/replace it), so that it is comprehensive.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2012, 08:31:28 PM »

Nay.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2012, 08:16:10 PM »

Vote on Amendment 48:20:

Aye (3): Clarence, Ilikeverin, and NC Yankee
Nay (3): Nathan, Scott, and TJ in Cleve
Abstain (2): Alfred F. Jones and Sbane

Didn't Vote (1): Pingvin99 (Lame duck Senators are Lame, that goes for Nathan too. Tongue Alfred keeps voting thank god. I should of gone with my "anime instincts" and voted for him. Wink)

With three votes in the affirmative, three votes in the negative and two abstentions, the vote is tied. Vice President is required to break the tie.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2012, 08:18:19 PM »

I suggest mentioning the health payroll part of the funding in the text of this bill (whether you keep it as is, change it or repeal/replace it), so that it is comprehensive.

It would be appreciated if the sponsor, Senator Scott, could respond to this point and soon. Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2012, 08:20:22 PM »

I'm here. I will be reviewing the amendment carefully and will make a final decision by the end of the night.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies