Santorum-Paul alliance formed in WA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:30:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum-Paul alliance formed in WA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Santorum-Paul alliance formed in WA  (Read 4364 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: April 01, 2012, 01:47:18 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Didn't they have caucus level turnout for their primary? Seems fair to me to redo a true VA primary now that they know their votes will count.

They had terrible turnout because several campaigns failed to collect enough signatures based on what I'm pretty sure is a state law.  Punish Virginia post hoc because of a state law that was only relevant because only Romney and Paul had their asses together?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:28:47 PM »

Romney ended up at 3% on the second ballot in Pierce County?  That's especially weird, since the Pierce County GOP Chair has done nearly all he can to mess with the Paulites.  He even excluded them from the county's "cheat sheet" because he considers them disloyal.

I'm not quite sure how holding a do-over Primary is punishing VA.

That's not reasonable either.  It was a state-run primary...paid for by the voters.  No?  You'd have to ask the state to hold a new primary because the GOP decided, after the fact, that turnout was too low, and because people failed to file in accordance with Virginia state law.  It's not happening, and it shouldn't.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 02:41:16 PM »

If the majority of the VA GOP voters want it, then it should happen. The whole point of paying for a primary is for the VA GOP to have a say in the GOP selection for the presidency. That most of the VA GOP chose to walk away from the primary is a devastating indictment of the whole process.

Tack it onto the schedule and do it right this time.

Do you understand how state-run elections work, and how expensive/complicated it is to rerun them?  You'd have to change state statute, allow for another filing period, orchestrate a completely unplanned in a large state...this is madness, man.  Do you understand the precedent problem caused by redoing an election, where all the rules were properly followed, simply because some candidates failed to meet the rules' standards?  This is basically just like calling "do-over" in elementary school sports.  Not to mention, I have no idea how you'd even determine what the majority of the VA GOP wants.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 03:47:37 PM »

"Of the following candidates, who would you support?"

Alienating a substantial proportion of the electorate that you are attempting to gain isn't exactly wise.

Pegging VA at 35 Romney and Paul at 10, leaves 55 percent of the electorate unrepresented.  I would even argue that massively unrepresentative primaries damages the GOP chances in the overall election - the same way that bad pricing information causes you to lose money.

1. That's not the same as asking whether Republican voters support a re-vote.

2. You blew off the rest of my post for no apparent reason, totally ignoring the fundamentals of my argument.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 05:31:58 PM »

It's not really an argument. Basically - it's tough/complicated/difficult so we shouldn't do it.

Please respond to my argument in a way that isn't a strawman.  I know I wasn't being unclear enough to explain such a completely reductionist interpretation of my argument.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 06:32:26 PM »

So because it's tough and difficult means it shouldn't be done? I guess we should just concede the election to Obama too.

Either you're making a mysterious distinction between "tough" and "difficult" here or you're doing total reductionism on my argument.  Please consider re-reading it.  The difficulty of executing the election is only one of my many concerns here.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 08:26:28 PM »

If they were doing a special election why would they require them to collect signatures? Just put everyone on who had any signatures at all.

This will certainly decrease costs and not at all be patently absurd.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies