Gingrich, Paul, and Santorum Agree to Texas GOP Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:14:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Gingrich, Paul, and Santorum Agree to Texas GOP Debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gingrich, Paul, and Santorum Agree to Texas GOP Debate  (Read 2009 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2012, 06:15:34 PM »

I guess Rick figured that now that Newt is dead, giving the corpse some oxygen won't reanimate him, and he has more to fear from Mittens, so he is willing to go back into the debate ring, after previously joining Mittens in stiffing Newt and just saying no. Good call Rick.

Mittens no doubt will await developments before deciding. I doubt he will want to listen to Rick talking about him being Obama lite, and Romneycare = Obamacare, etc., unless he figures that the alternative of sending his regrets portends something even less pleasant, be it the resentment of Texas voters or whatever. Maybe he hopes that if he stalls, the debate without his presence will be cancelled. We shall see.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 06:39:02 PM »

Santorum will be doing well if there still is a race by then. I think inevitability is finally catching on.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 06:43:31 PM »

I don't see how Mitt can pass. Telling a large state that you've already won and don't need their votes doesn't seem a wise move.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 06:48:30 PM »

I don't see how Mitt can pass. Telling a large state that you've already won and don't need their votes doesn't seem a wise move.

Like John Sununu said "The significant people have already voted." Wink
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 07:18:04 PM »

Thank God! I miss the debates.
jmc247
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 07:34:59 PM »

I don't see this debate as happening if they were demanding one before the April 24th races then perhaps. In fact that would be their smarter move.

If Romney rolls every state in April he is going to win NC, Oregon, Indiania and West Virginia. The only that could be in play for Santorum I suspect are Kentucky and Arkansas given the high evangelical population they have.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 11:11:30 PM »

good luck w that guys
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 11:43:40 PM »

This is kind of silly. The race is over.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 12:36:42 AM »

I highly doubt Mitt will attend.
jmc247
Rookie
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 02:43:43 AM »

This is kind of silly. The race is over.

Maybe they can ask for a second debate before Utah votes as well.

But, yah it's over.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 02:45:59 AM »

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 11:43:24 AM »

I don't see this debate as happening if they were demanding one before the April 24th races then perhaps. In fact that would be their smarter move.

If Romney rolls every state in April he is going to win NC, Oregon, Indiania and West Virginia. The only that could be in play for Santorum I suspect are Kentucky and Arkansas given the high evangelical population they have.

Indiana is in May. Plus I believe the Tea Party, Christian Conservatives, and Libertarians like me would beg to differ. Our sitting senator Luger is getting a pink slip and the Tea Party will gain another seat in the senate.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 11:45:19 AM »

Indiana is in May. Plus I believe the Tea Party, Christian Conservatives, and Libertarians like me would beg to differ. Our sitting senator Luger is getting a pink slip and the Tea Party will gain another seat in the senate.
It'll be close, but I think Lugar will hang on.

Indiana suburbs consist of a large portion of the GOP base in Indiana, and I expect them to vote comfortably for Senator Lugar. These same folks will vote for Governor Romney. Most Republicans I know (rural, conservative area) supported Santorum originally, but are now coming to terms with Romney and will vote for him only because they think we need to start focusing on the general election.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 11:47:22 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

How many times have you folks written Santorum off already?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 08:34:34 PM »

It'll be close, but I think Lugar will hang on.

Indiana suburbs consist of a large portion of the GOP base in Indiana, and I expect them to vote comfortably for Senator Lugar. These same folks will vote for Governor Romney. Most Republicans I know (rural, conservative area) supported Santorum originally, but are now coming to terms with Romney and will vote for him only because they think we need to start focusing on the general election.

I'm confident Romney will not win Howard, Clinton, Tipton, Miami, Cass, Grant, or Tippacanoe counties. Ron Paul may win a county or two. I live in that rural, conservative area you spoke about and there's no love for Mitt amongst the grassroots. At a Tea Party PAC meeting I attended Romney was booed rather heavily. Paul, Santorum and a couple wash outs were cheered much more.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 06:50:39 PM »

West Virginia is not Romney country at all, demographically. It's one of the poorest states in the country, has a very low percentage of college degree holders, and you know Santorum is going to basically walk around with a "MY GRANDDADDY WAS A COAL MINER" sign around his neck up there.

But at the same time, the only Republicans who get elected there tend to be moderates (Shelley Moore Capito), and they have a history of voting for wealthy blue-blood types (Jay Rockefeller, Gaston Caperton, etc).
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 11:38:24 AM »

At this stage in the race, why would Romney want to spend more time getting attacked on stage by three losers?

It's over.  Get on with the election.
jmc247
Rookie
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 12:02:46 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2012, 12:05:05 PM by jmc247 »

Santorum's campaign messed up badly when it came time to register and set things up at the election board in West Virginia.

Santorum could sweep the state by a massive margin (which is unlikely given the state may be mostly rural, but candidates with money who spend on ads can win there) and even if he sweeps the state massively he at most can get five of the delegates.

Chances are because of the ballot screw up Santorum does not campaign there, Romney comes by once or twice and spends some money for ads in the three large urban areas of the state and wins in WV.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies