Do you agree with Family Guy's characterization of religion (see description)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:03:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Do you agree with Family Guy's characterization of religion (see description)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes (Religious)

Yes (Non-Religious)

No (Religious)

No (Non-Religious)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Do you agree with Family Guy's characterization of religion (see description)  (Read 5881 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 09:48:08 PM »

The difference is that I'm sure the vast majority of those celebrities referenced were just in one off jokes. South Park only references them as the core of the plot.

BRTD, why do you keep bringing up clips that do not make your case. I can laugh at Family Guy. But God damned Sneakers O'Tooler is fuckin' stupid. And Vietname War memorial? Like I said before, that isn't even funny in the sense of "it's  funny, but it's not appropriate to laugh at". It's just straight up not funny. It's just so damn stupid, I don't see why you continually present that as somehow an example of Family Guy being funny. Damn it!

Sneakers O'Toole is the greatest 20 seconds in the history of television. Seriously this clip is super-discussed and even has a Facebook group for Sneakers O'Toole, all just for 20 seconds. I've posted before on four possible interpretations of the meaning of the clip. Can you name any 20 second clip in South Park comparable? And the Vietnam War memorial joke is awesome because it shows that Family Guy is a progressive show willing to stand up to imperialism, nationalism and the military-industrial complex. South Park never would.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 09:49:52 PM »

BRTD, you are in a class of Family Guy fans that I would have never thought to even exist had I not met you:

You have this type of Stockholm Syndrome when it comes to Family Guy. You continually defend it even though it is exactly what you say it is not. It DOES set up the celebrity references, it DOES do shock value jokes and it cuts to Conway Twitty/Giant Chicken shit every fucking time the writers can't write something better.

Get over it.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 09:51:25 PM »

And by the way, Sneakers O'Toole is probably the only original Family Guy joke that I have never laughed at. It isn't funny, it's just plain dumb. It sounds like fucking Blues Clues or some shit. Get over that as well.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 09:52:55 PM »

Actually, BRTD, this pretty much describes you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdbnssEZ_Xk&feature=related
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 10:12:29 PM »

Uh pretty much the only thing of that that applies to me is the "textbook liberal agenda" bit.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 10:46:04 PM »

Uh pretty much the only thing of that that applies to me is the "textbook liberal agenda" bit.

And how you think you're some kind of profound intellectual.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2012, 06:47:15 AM »

And how you think you're some kind of profound intellectual.

Figure 1:

A summary of BRTD's intellectual and social development since joining the site:

-  NORMAL                                           
                                    -
--------------------------------------------BRTD Hipster4EVA!                       
                  -
            -
      -
-

Figure 2:

A summary of his liking for Family Guy in comparison with his peers
--------------                                       
--------------------------------------------BRTD GiantFknChicken!                       
                    -
                       -
                         -
                           -
                              - - - - - - - - - - -  NORMAL

Figure 3:

A summary of his ownership of band tees compared to his peers:

--------------                                       
--------------------------------------------BRTD DontLikeSuitsThey4OLDS!                       
                    -
                       - Finish College   
                         -                     
                           - Have a Job         
                             -                   
                              - - - - - - - - - - - NORMAL Weekends and painting the fence only

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2012, 07:40:22 AM »

Haha! This was one of my favorite family guy clips (and yes, this time my liking is politically motivated). 

Great graphs, afleitch. Smiley
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2012, 09:35:30 AM »

The difference is that I'm sure the vast majority of those celebrities referenced were just in one off jokes. South Park only references them as the core of the plot.

BRTD, why do you keep bringing up clips that do not make your case. I can laugh at Family Guy. But God damned Sneakers O'Tooler is fuckin' stupid. And Vietname War memorial? Like I said before, that isn't even funny in the sense of "it's  funny, but it's not appropriate to laugh at". It's just straight up not funny. It's just so damn stupid, I don't see why you continually present that as somehow an example of Family Guy being funny. Damn it!

Sneakers O'Toole is the greatest 20 seconds in the history of television. Seriously this clip is super-discussed and even has a Facebook group for Sneakers O'Toole, all just for 20 seconds. I've posted before on four possible interpretations of the meaning of the clip. Can you name any 20 second clip in South Park comparable? And the Vietnam War memorial joke is awesome because it shows that Family Guy is a progressive show willing to stand up to imperialism, nationalism and the military-industrial complex. South Park never would.
You've evidently never seen either of the Pandemic episodes or AWESOM-O, where they rip on Homeland Security, or Team America: World Police, where they do a completely satirical parody of the "America is always right" types.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2012, 09:51:49 AM »

Since South Park entered the discussion, let's look at South Park's commentary on religion from last night's episode:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/411550/its-raining-frogs
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/411551/our-love-grows
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2012, 10:56:12 AM »

Actually I don't like the Giant Chicken fights, since they are basically just filler. Family Guy is better when it does a ton of really quick jokes in the ilk of Sneakers O'Toole instead of really long things, other examples I love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpWsihWzo_I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW9Mym1ODhU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iE4uEsaBF0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrJIJqUI6U0

And Team America: World Police struck me as nationalistic anti-liberal garbage.
Is Totally Not Feeblepizza.
Crackers
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 11:16:11 AM »

This thread is why I cut myself.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 11:46:15 AM »

Which is completely moronic considering it was obviously satire against that kind of thing.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »

well.. its negative and implies that religion's main effect and/or cause is political.. so yes, its great.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2012, 02:17:17 PM »

Yep, you clearly don't get it.  Maybe your biases are blinding you a bit?  Of course there was some anti-liberal aspects to it (especially the ass-dick-pussy bit near the end), but, I think fairly obviously, it was first and foremost making fun of the AMERICA, FUNK YEAH! attitude many on the right have.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2012, 11:39:26 PM »

It showed Michael Moore as a terrorist supporting suicide bomber and liberal celebrities as terrorist sympathizers. It was like the whole "If you oppose Bush you are an America hater!" garbage so common at the time. Also I thought the pro-Iraq War undertones were fairly obvious.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2012, 11:51:25 PM »

It showed Michael Moore as a terrorist supporting suicide bomber and liberal celebrities as terrorist sympathizers. It was like the whole "If you oppose Bush you are an America hater!" garbage so common at the time. Also I thought the pro-Iraq War undertones were fairly obvious.

This post is very revealing about your sense of humor in general, and explains why you're laboring under the misapprehension that Family Guy is good.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2012, 09:26:47 AM »

And once again BRTD shows that he doesn't know what satire is.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2012, 10:39:08 AM »

So by that logic wouldn't it be likely that Seth MacFarlane is actually a conservative and Family Guy is just satirizing liberals and trying to make them look bad?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2012, 11:16:15 AM »

He's not conservative, but he does make fun of liberals from time to time.  It is possible to make fun of your own (and yourself) ya know.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2012, 11:51:08 AM »

So by that logic wouldn't it be likely that Seth MacFarlane is actually a conservative and Family Guy is just satirizing liberals and trying to make them look bad?

No, because Family Guy isn't satirical in its comedic sensibilities or methods. You're making false equivalencies.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2012, 01:16:26 PM »

No, because Family Guy isn't satirical in its comedic sensibilities or methods. You're making false equivalencies.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2012, 09:46:25 PM »

You do realize it's possible to make fun of both sides, right?
And also...
Apparently, in this episode, Cartman becomes Jewish. And doesn't go back to Christianity at the end. WTF?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2012, 11:32:30 PM »

Yeah, I thought that was a pretty strange end.  I hope they keep going with it for a bit and don't just start the next episode as if it never happened.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2012, 12:03:38 AM »

Most people on this forum are like Hitler here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=hGXv-GkHfV8
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies