Do you agree with Family Guy's characterization of religion (see description) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:06:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do you agree with Family Guy's characterization of religion (see description) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes (Religious)

Yes (Non-Religious)

No (Religious)

No (Non-Religious)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Do you agree with Family Guy's characterization of religion (see description)  (Read 5986 times)
hawkeye59
United States

« on: April 03, 2012, 08:19:15 AM »

Of course Cathcon thinks South Park is better, he's a right winger.
Uh, I love South Park and think it is far superior to Family Guy. For one thing, humor is not all about politics. Also, while Family Guy probably has views to the left of South Park, I can name quite a few episodes where South Park has a liberal position on an issue.
"Medicinal Fried Chicken"-supports marijauana legalization
"Follow that Egg!"-supports gay marriage
"Cartman Sucks" -against the ex-gay movement
"Butters' Bottom Bitch" -Supports legalization of prostitution
and MANY anti-censorship episodes.
Also, at least South Park's jokes are part of the plot, unlike Family Guy's.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 11:12:14 PM »

Arguing with BRTD about SP/FG is as pointless as arguing with a wall about SP/FG.  It is fun to point and laugh, but trying to explain how SP isn't EXACTLY.WHAT.HE.THINKS.IT.IS by using, ya know facts, isn't going to help.  We've been down this road a dozen times.
Yeah, he just doesn't get that there's a difference between libertarian and conservative.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 09:06:30 AM »

Pretty much. Have you even seen South Park? You should watch Medicinal Fried Chicken or Last of the Meheecans or Crack Baby Athletic Association or better yet, all three, and then decide for yourself. Just go to southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 09:35:30 AM »

The difference is that I'm sure the vast majority of those celebrities referenced were just in one off jokes. South Park only references them as the core of the plot.

BRTD, why do you keep bringing up clips that do not make your case. I can laugh at Family Guy. But God damned Sneakers O'Tooler is fuckin' stupid. And Vietname War memorial? Like I said before, that isn't even funny in the sense of "it's  funny, but it's not appropriate to laugh at". It's just straight up not funny. It's just so damn stupid, I don't see why you continually present that as somehow an example of Family Guy being funny. Damn it!

Sneakers O'Toole is the greatest 20 seconds in the history of television. Seriously this clip is super-discussed and even has a Facebook group for Sneakers O'Toole, all just for 20 seconds. I've posted before on four possible interpretations of the meaning of the clip. Can you name any 20 second clip in South Park comparable? And the Vietnam War memorial joke is awesome because it shows that Family Guy is a progressive show willing to stand up to imperialism, nationalism and the military-industrial complex. South Park never would.
You've evidently never seen either of the Pandemic episodes or AWESOM-O, where they rip on Homeland Security, or Team America: World Police, where they do a completely satirical parody of the "America is always right" types.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 09:46:25 PM »

It showed Michael Moore as a terrorist supporting suicide bomber and liberal celebrities as terrorist sympathizers. It was like the whole "If you oppose Bush you are an America hater!" garbage so common at the time. Also I thought the pro-Iraq War undertones were fairly obvious.
You do realize it's possible to make fun of both sides, right?
And also...
Apparently, in this episode, Cartman becomes Jewish. And doesn't go back to Christianity at the end. WTF?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies