New England liberals vs Pacific liberals (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:38:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New England liberals vs Pacific liberals (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New England liberals vs Pacific liberals  (Read 10889 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« on: April 02, 2012, 11:16:53 PM »
« edited: April 02, 2012, 11:55:11 PM by Governor Napoleon »

The medical marijuana bill may finally pass here but it is very restrictive...

BTW
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 05:21:18 PM »

Regarding something like Marijuana legalization, the east coast is definitely not as progressive as the west coast. I wouldn't be surprised if the east is closer in it's views on Marijuana to the Midwest AND the south than it is to the west. They are just more traditional people. Law and order conservatism also seems to flourish in this area. And the trust in authority in general is much higher than it is out west. And I think this transcends partisan lines.

On the contrary, I'd say it's almost certain that the first state to legalize marijuana will be in New England.  Of course, it will be subsequently taxed at 900% and its smoking banned in every conceivable public and private location...

Why do you think that? I think Vermont may be the only candidate. I certainly don't see Massachusetts or definitely Rhode Island doing it. Not Connecticut either. Too much rich, moderate hero suburbs. Washington I think will be the first state, even before California which is probably second. Washington state doesn't have to do deal with Southern California's bullsh**t.

Eastern Washington, though.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:47:43 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2012, 08:51:30 PM by Governor Napoleon »

Though, consideration must be given to:

1. CA being the first state to legalize medical marijuana
2. Having a much more liberal law than WA

A presidential year should help. Hopefully WA can start full legalization off. In my state, it will take a while.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 03:08:03 AM »

There's a certain type of "liberalism" that I really dislike that isn't so big in New England but rather moreso in places like Maryland and Illinois, that is kind of what like libertarians like to strawman liberalism as and really big nanny-statism. Like those states despite overwhelming Democratic majorities in the legislatures won't liberalize their drug laws, or why it was so difficult to pass medical marijuana laws, and why they have laws on things like making it illegal to film cops, and laws that basically no one favors but get passed anyway (like how Boris said that in Illinois drinking games are illegal and a lot of bars got raided for hosting them. And I've read in some places it's not just that drinking games are illegal in bars but ANYWHERE and private parties have been busted for them.) These are also the type of places that get obsessed over silly gun laws that don't really do anything to reduce gun crime but make people like Carolyn McCarthy feel better about themselves by passing them.

I kind of wonder what type of political culture leads to things like this, since barely anyone in grassroots Democratic activism supports it.

Sounds likes lot of "liberals" here.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies