Harry the Nazi
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:50:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Harry the Nazi
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Harry the Nazi  (Read 7115 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2005, 11:26:13 AM »

If he was going to dress as a Nazi he did it in the stupidest way possible, if he had gone dressed in a full SS uniform with the arm band he would have looked like he was mocking Hitler, going as he did in basically normal clothes with a swastika armband was a lot more stupid publicity-wise, but either way it was still a really stupid and offensive thing to do.

The drink and the cigarette helped with the mocking nature, and he was wearing a uniform, not just an armband over normal clothes, according to the story (and from the photo).
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2005, 11:41:06 AM »

Good.  How do you know that HRH wasn't attempting to mock the Nazis (or his great uncle, for that matter)?

Because:

1. He makes yeast look intelligent.
2. The theme (or whatever they call it) of the piss up party was racist ("colonial and native")

He might have mocking the German "Volk" ideas or he might have saying, in effect, "See, this is what colonialism leads to."  He could have been mocking the political leanings of some of his relatives, for that matter.  We don't know the context.

We have to know the context.  I'm thinking of a case where Charles, after being voted as one of the worst dressed people in the UK, showed up at a white tie affair wearing a ratty tweed jacket instead of tails, over his white tie; he was the speaker.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2005, 11:58:55 AM »

He might have mocking the German "Volk" ideas or he might have saying, in effect, "See, this is what colonialism leads to."  He could have been mocking the political leanings of some of his relatives, for that matter.  We don't know the context.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2005, 01:18:17 PM »

Not surprising, though obviously it was dumb insofar as he's a Prince and people always take pictures. Elites are always far less susceptible than normal folks to silly notions of political correctness, perhaps because they can get away with it. So, while someone like Al gets his panties in a bunch, the royal family only cares because it makes them look bad-- and they do dislike that.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2005, 01:36:36 PM »

No I'm sorry, please leave my Queen alone.  His Royal Highness Harry is probably just having fun, so why condemn him for it?  Have you never been drunk?  Have you never smoked weed?  And how do you know he is "braindead" and "racist?"

While I have the highest respect for royalty, I believe that as a royal he should be held to a higher standard. If you read the article, he probably wouldnt be allowed into Sandhurst for this, but he will be as to he is 3rd in line for the throne. I have no problem with His Royal Highness getting drunk, but I feel it was poor judgement, and a person of his statue shouldnt end up doing something like this. I believe that he needs to be a public apology rather then that of the just a press release from the palace.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2005, 03:02:01 PM »

If he was going to dress as a Nazi he did it in the stupidest way possible, if he had gone dressed in a full SS uniform with the arm band he would have looked like he was mocking Hitler, going as he did in basically normal clothes with a swastika armband was a lot more stupid publicity-wise, but either way it was still a really stupid and offensive thing to do.

The drink and the cigarette helped with the mocking nature, and he was wearing a uniform, not just an armband over normal clothes, according to the story (and from the photo).

I know he was wearing a uniform, but not one that is particularly associable with the Nazi's, what he was wearing was basically desert camouflage, it isn't obvious it is meant to be a Nazi uniform (except for the swastika of course)
danwxman

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2005, 03:14:30 PM »

No I'm sorry, please leave my Queen alone.  His Royal Highness Harry is probably just having fun, so why condemn him for it?  Have you never been drunk?  Have you never smoked weed?  And how do you know he is "braindead" and "racist?"

Shut up...I have been both plenty of times and never considered wearing a swastika even as a joke (and I've done some pretty stupid stuff while high/drunk). There is a line you don't cross and Harry crossed that line.
Math
math
France

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2005, 03:27:37 PM »

I know he was wearing a uniform, but not one that is particularly associable with the Nazi's, what he was wearing was basically desert camouflage, it isn't obvious it is meant to be a Nazi uniform (except for the swastika of course)
It was an AfrikaKorps unifrom.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2005, 03:28:30 PM »

While I have the highest respect for royalty,

Why?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2005, 03:45:36 PM »

You Brits should boot these nasty Saxe-Coburg Gothas or whatever their real Nazi-sympathizer names are.

Don't just cut off their allowance - seize their assets and kick them out of the country.  What a bunch of scumbags.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2005, 04:08:56 PM »

Shut up...I have been both plenty of times and never considered wearing a swastika even as a joke (and I've done some pretty stupid stuff while high/drunk). There is a line you don't cross and Harry crossed that line.
I wore a Soviet military uniform to a costume party, complete with sickle and hammer.  I don't see anything wrong with it.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2005, 04:10:58 PM »

I wore a Soviet military uniform to a costume party, complete with sickle and hammer.  I don't see anything wrong with it.

I know someone who showed up for their school CCF (guessing you guys don't have that there - just a military like thing schools do that trains lots of officers for the British army) in full Soviet uniform, I believe he got kicked out of CCF for it.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2005, 04:12:16 PM »

I know someone who showed up for their school CCF (guessing you guys don't have that there - just a military like thing schools do that trains lots of officers for the British army) in full Soviet uniform, I believe he got kicked out of CCF for it.
On what grounds?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2005, 04:13:08 PM »

On what grounds?

Offended the guy running it or something. He took his hat off, threw it on the ground then like jumped on it before picking it up, smoothing it off and putting it back on his head, crazy guy, huh?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2005, 04:14:07 PM »

On what grounds?

Offended the guy running it or something. He took his hat off, threw it on the ground then like jumped on it before picking it up, smoothing it off and putting it back on his head, crazy guy, huh?
People get offended way to easily.  If some guy dressed up as a gay-hating KKK guy I'd probably kiss him as a joke.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2005, 06:15:32 PM »

On what grounds?

People get offended way to easily.  If some guy dressed up as a gay-hating KKK guy I'd probably kiss him as a joke.

The whole KKK thing has to be in contect.  In Blazing Sabbles it was used by Clevon Little's character for comic effect; that might have been the same type of effect HRH was going for with the uniform.  Likewise, he could have walked up to people and said, "Hello, I'm Edward VIII." 

We don't know the context and that could be important.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2005, 06:20:37 PM »

IT WAS A PARTY
how dare he dress up and have a good time, hes not a nazi
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2005, 12:37:14 AM »

I just do, I've always been fascinated by the English Monarchy for some reason. I wouldn't if the US had some sort of monarchy like that, just figureheads is what i mean. I think it gives u an extra sense of hertaige.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2005, 12:45:06 AM »

I just do, I've always been fascinated by the English Monarchy for some reason. I wouldn't if the US had some sort of monarchy like that, just figureheads is what i mean. I think it gives u an extra sense of hertaige.

You don't confuse the political leader with the state either.  There is a lot be said for monarchy.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2005, 01:13:52 AM »

I'm a huge fan of figurehead heads of state. I'd prefer an Australian, but the Queen works alright. I'm a bit worried about King Charlie though...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2005, 01:43:23 AM »

I'm a huge fan of figurehead heads of state. I'd prefer an Australian, but the Queen works alright. I'm a bit worried about King Charlie though...

I do hope he behaves himself when he wears the crown.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2005, 02:10:39 AM »

IT WAS A PARTY
how dare he dress up and have a good time, hes not a nazi

Echo.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2005, 04:17:15 AM »

It was at a "natives and colonial" themed party. A rough U.S equivilent would be a "slaves and masters" themed party.
Tory

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2005, 07:09:56 AM »

It was at a "natives and colonial" themed party. A rough U.S equivilent would be a "slaves and masters" themed party.

A group of people dressing up in safari-khakis is hardly "slaves and masters". A "natives and colonial" party would be more equivalent to "Cowboys and Indians".
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2005, 08:05:32 AM »

Yeah, with people going around like Prince Phillip asking aborginals if they still fight each other with spears Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies