Which country has the best names for electoral districts? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:21:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Which country has the best names for electoral districts? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which country has the best names for electoral districts?
US

Canada

UK

Australia

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Which country has the best names for electoral districts?  (Read 3803 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« on: April 04, 2012, 08:00:16 AM »

Germany has some of the worst. Well, the longest anyway.

You can't beat district names like "Brandenburg an der Havel – Potsdam-Mittelmark I – Havelland III – Teltow-Fläming I".

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundestagswahlkreis_Brandenburg_an_der_Havel_%E2%80%93_Potsdam-Mittelmark_I_%E2%80%93_Havelland_III_%E2%80%93_Teltow-Fl%C3%A4ming_I
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 04:31:47 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2012, 04:33:24 PM by General Buck Turgidson »

Each state gets a certain number of districts, depending on the size of the population. Within the states, each district is supposed to have roughly the same number of people.

Basis for districts are the counties, but since the electoral districts are supposed to have similar population sizes, counties often get merged or divided. In the aforementioned example, an electoral district was created out of the entirety of the independent city of Brandenburg an der Havel, and portions of the counties of Potsdam-Mittelmark, Havelland, as well as Teltow-Fläming.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 03:29:30 AM »
« Edited: April 05, 2012, 07:53:00 AM by General Buck Turgidson »

what's with the numbers (roman numerals) then?

Yeah, each German district gets also a number assigned... geographically from the north to the south. Districts 1 and 2 (Flensburg - Schleswig and Nordfriesland - Dithmarschen Nord) are located at the Danish border for instance.

But I doubt that any Bundestag member would introduce himself as "I'm the representative of district 178". Most likely, he would use the name of the largest or most well-known city/county in his district.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies