The educated are disgusting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:07:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  The educated are disgusting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The educated are disgusting  (Read 5800 times)
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2012, 09:24:26 PM »
« edited: April 02, 2012, 09:27:22 PM by fezzyfestoon »

Are the Republicans just pulling a classic move in demonizing college degrees? It seems as though they've developed a habit over the course of their existence in targeting a common opposition demographic and turning the rest of the public against them and riding that as a political platform. Hippies are unwashed scum, war opponents are limp wristed wimps, welfare supporters are mooches, etc. Is it just a pitifully successful playground tactic because the educated are trending towards the Democrats? Turning the issues into people on either side rather than face the issue itself. In fact it's not only one of their classic moves, it's a textbook example of a litany of classic logical fallacy meant specifically to distract from real issues. False generalizations, false dilemmas, non-sequiturs, bandwagoning...

And I don't mean this as an actual question, I'm just stirring the pot about this junk and can't successfully translate my tone into internet words.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 09:33:50 PM »

Not a good strategy, considering these census numbers.

Education                                             Percentage
High school graduate                            87.58%
Some college                                         56.86%
Associate's and/or Bachelor's degree    39.89%
Bachelor's degree                                  30.44%
Master's degree                                      7.95%
Doctorate or professional degree            3.00%

I don't get that vibe as much as you do, though.  Sure, there is a demonization of the "liberal intellectual elite" college professors and the like, but the average parents of your Republican voting nuclear family all expect (or at least hope) their children will get bachelors degrees.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 09:54:39 PM »

I don't get that vibe as much as you do, though.  Sure, there is a demonization of the "liberal intellectual elite" college professors and the like, but the average parents of your Republican voting nuclear family all expect (or at least hope) their children will get bachelors degrees.

I've always wondered what "some college" means. I've noticed that they tend to vote GOP more then the other groups and just assumed it meant associates degrees, but this seems to disprove that. Does anyone know what its supposed to mean?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 09:55:40 PM »

I've always wondered what "some college" means. I've noticed that they tend to vote GOP more then the other groups and just assumed it meant associates degrees, but this seems to disprove that. Does anyone know what its supposed to mean?

Someone who attended college but left before before they could complete their bachelor's degree would be my guess. 
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 10:47:36 PM »

What they should be attacking are the elites, not the educated.

Shocking fact, but there is a difference.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 10:51:41 PM »

I had a friend tell me once that American politics is just a struggle between two the business elite and the academic elite, both of which demonize the other stir up a following and trick everyone into voting for the because of how terrible the other elites are.

I'm not a moderate extremist like him, but I think it's a pretty accurate description.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 11:27:00 PM »

That's not what they're saying at all. They're taking direct issue with college education by asserting that it is an indication of being "elite". They're turning one thing (a highly positive thing) and purposefully implying that it equates to the universal negative of being a snobby elitist from the Northeast. They've done it before with those other things I've listed.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 11:32:38 PM »

First women and now the college educated?  What's next puppies?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 03:25:13 AM »

Someone who attended college but left before before they could complete their bachelor's degree would be my guess. 

1 in 6 Americans drop out of college? Or am I misinterpreting the figures?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 03:27:55 AM »

No, I think you're right. One thing that leads to that, I guess, is inability to continue financing studies. That's likely far more common in the US than most places.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 03:30:09 AM »

1 in 6 Americans drop out of college? Or am I misinterpreting the figures?

The four year graduation rate at many state schools is abysmal. As an example here are my state's rates:

University of Idaho - 25%
Boise State - 6%
Idaho State - 7%
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 03:35:22 AM »

No, I think you're right. One thing that leads to that, I guess, is inability to continue financing studies. That's likely far more common in the US than most places.

Right, good point.

The on-time graduation rate is very low in Sweden as well, but that's hardly strange since the education is free. There isn't that strong an incentive to graduate on time.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 04:48:13 AM »

A lot of people just drop out for various, non-financial reasons (I'm one).  Not cutting it being the big one (not me...sort of).  A lot of people go to college because it's what they are "supposed to do" even though college isn't necessarily a good fit (me).  Trade school or the military should be valid options, not second choices that are looked down upon by peers, counselors and parents.  There should be no shame given to the HS senior that wants to get into HVAC or carpentry.

(I'm not saying you are saying that, I'm just saying that it is a common attitude)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 05:12:12 AM »

Well, they frequently are.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 06:41:23 AM »

I had a friend tell me once that American politics is just a struggle between two the business elite and the academic elite

LOL
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 08:10:31 AM »

I had a friend tell me once that American politics is just a struggle between two the business elite and the academic elite

LOL
A lot of truth to it in the current alignment, of course. Grin
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 03:56:08 PM »

Are the Republicans just pulling a classic move in demonizing college degrees?
I don't think anyone is demonizing degrees.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 05:37:03 PM »

Eh, I think you'll find many cultural conservatives bash the idea of a "liberal arts" education or anything that they don't see as productive (most of the social sciences and humanities).
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 08:49:06 PM »

The elite have millions (or billions) of dollars - the educated are just a slightly different category of worker.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 04:18:46 PM »

Eh, I think you'll find many cultural conservatives bash the idea of a "liberal arts" education or anything that they don't see as productive (most of the social sciences and humanities).

It's not just cultural conservatives who do it. I'm going for a Geography and History BA, and the students of every other faculty seem to be in a civil war with us for our "poor choice" and "useless degree." At least we devote our studies to ideas, not numbers. But I guess that's a conversation for another day!

Generally though, my time in university has really shown me the elite side of academia. These people are wanting to devote their whole lives to abstract, fart-in-the-wind academic debates. It's pretty stuffy, and it's full of people who think they're better than you because they can write a good essay. I'm not a fan.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 11:12:57 PM »

Sure, but that's not the same as demonizing.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 12:42:44 AM »

It's not just cultural conservatives who do it. I'm going for a Geography and History BA, and the students of every other faculty seem to be in a civil war with us for our "poor choice" and "useless degree." At least we devote our studies to ideas, not numbers. But I guess that's a conversation for another day!

Yeah I can't stand when math-types who don't know too much about politics/history try to say their somehow technically "smarter" because they know math instead. They think they know everything about the universe but when you ask them basic political strategy or history you get a blank state coupled with a dismissal of those subjects in general as being "not important". It's basically a way they try to get out of admitting that someone else is smart too.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 08:45:39 PM »

Bashing the smarts is a way of praising the idiots. Since the overwhelming majority of the people of every country is made of idiots...
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 12:26:58 AM »

Bashing the smarts is a way of praising the idiots. Since the overwhelming majority of the people of every country is made of idiots...

My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge!

/sarcasm/
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 12:40:29 AM »

The elite have millions (or billions) of dollars - the educated are just a slightly different category of worker.

Well, obviously. The elites are based upon who they know and how powerful their daddy was and not how educated or competent they are. We are not a meritocracy. The richest 1% are certainly not the smartest 1%, the most educated 1%, or the hardest working 1%.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies