The educated are disgusting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:11:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  The educated are disgusting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The educated are disgusting  (Read 5877 times)
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: April 02, 2012, 09:24:26 PM »
« edited: April 02, 2012, 09:27:22 PM by fezzyfestoon »

Are the Republicans just pulling a classic move in demonizing college degrees? It seems as though they've developed a habit over the course of their existence in targeting a common opposition demographic and turning the rest of the public against them and riding that as a political platform. Hippies are unwashed scum, war opponents are limp wristed wimps, welfare supporters are mooches, etc. Is it just a pitifully successful playground tactic because the educated are trending towards the Democrats? Turning the issues into people on either side rather than face the issue itself. In fact it's not only one of their classic moves, it's a textbook example of a litany of classic logical fallacy meant specifically to distract from real issues. False generalizations, false dilemmas, non-sequiturs, bandwagoning...

And I don't mean this as an actual question, I'm just stirring the pot about this junk and can't successfully translate my tone into internet words.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 11:27:00 PM »

What they should be attacking are the elites, not the educated.

Shocking fact, but there is a difference.

That's not what they're saying at all. They're taking direct issue with college education by asserting that it is an indication of being "elite". They're turning one thing (a highly positive thing) and purposefully implying that it equates to the universal negative of being a snobby elitist from the Northeast. They've done it before with those other things I've listed.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 11:59:53 AM »

That is such an insanely offensive political concept that I don't know which part to start with. Punishing the attainment of education and honing of a specialized craft? I don't disagree that our higher education system is wildly corrupt and ineffective, but completely shunning the concept of education is probably the worst possible way to combat that. And I'm not sure what point is being made with the available jobs at the manufacturing plant. No shet someone with a "Masters in Post-Modern Female Sociology" isn't gonna find a job as a welder and I don't think that degree is going to be an advantage in the application process for that job at all. Anyway, punishing the victims of a perverted education system seems completely inappropriate to me. The issue you seem to be fighting against is simply one mild symptom of a whole host of institution-scale problems. Picking this one to go after by devaluing education is just bizarre.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies