Would you turn your dad in for growing pot?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:32:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you turn your dad in for growing pot?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Would you turn your dad in for growing pot?
yes (D)

no (D)

yes (R)

no (R)

yes (I)

no (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Would you turn your dad in for growing pot?  (Read 2387 times)
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 11:50:54 PM »

There is something oddly fascist about voluntarily surrendering your own flesh and blood to the authorities in the interest of complying with ignorant state/federal policy. People should avoid befriending this sort of individual.

Yeah, "my government first, then my family" is pretty disturbing.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 02:21:01 PM »

There is something oddly fascist about voluntarily surrendering your own flesh and blood to the authorities in the interest of complying with ignorant state/federal policy. People should avoid befriending this sort of individual.

"My family first, then my government" has major issues too, though. All lies in proportions.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 03:03:38 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2012, 03:06:27 PM by fezzyfestoon »

"My family first, then my government" has major issues too, though. All lies in proportions.

Very true. I was trying to reconcile that while typing my last post. Ultimately, I think if there are wildly contradicting values at the core of government vs. family something is wrong with one or the other. The government should have your family and its best interests at heart. Your family members should also have their fellow citizens at heart at the same time. But how do you decide who's wrong? I think you're right about proportions. What makes me lean in the direction of family is this case. When there's a gray area between right and the law, is it necessary for the government to be involved in deciding? Society can make its mind up on its own I think. I don't see the government as having to be the decisive authority on every miniscule issue, it should give its people the tools to decide for themselves. Obviously we're far beyond that being plausible though, so whatever. Tongue
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 04:30:40 PM »

Actually the rationale would not be a preference for government, but some active hatred, vendetta, or resentment against the family member - all of which are normal in families.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 10:05:38 AM »

Actually the rationale would not be a preference for government, but some active hatred, vendetta, or resentment against the family member

I think that's generally right, but sometimes the state gets pretty good at indoctrination.  Right now the schools are actively campaigning to get children to be vigilant about drugs, spousal abuse, terrorism, and the like.  Children are being asked to put state security over filial piety. 

Ever seen the movie Rotation?  It is the story of a German family that becomes divided over supporting the Nazis. The father considers joining the Nazi party in order to improve his financial situation, but after witnessing some brutality he helps print resistance leaflets.  His son, a Hitler Youth member, betrays him to the police.  It's a pretty good telling, from a German point of view, about life in Nazi Germany, and it ends on a conciliatory note.  After the war father and son meet again, and the guilt-ridden son is accepted by his father.

Our family isn't so dysfunctional that it would come to betrayal for something so trivial.  I hope.  Personally, I think I'd try to shield a family member from prosecution no matter how heinous the alleged crime. 
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2012, 05:58:34 PM »

No, that's ridiculous.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2012, 07:17:43 PM »

The notion of loyalty to abstract entities has major issues, though, at the kid's age, family is surely something much less abstract than government.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2012, 07:22:55 PM »

No, of course not.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark