Richard Descoings has died
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:35:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Richard Descoings has died
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Richard Descoings has died  (Read 542 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 04, 2012, 02:21:29 AM »

If you wonder who I'm talking about, he was the director of my university.

Leading the institution since 1996, he carried out significant reforms like opening regional campuses, making it mandatory to spend the 3rd year of undergrad studies in a foreign university, creating a special admittance procedure for students coming from disadvantaged urban zones, and recently reforming the reglar admittance system. He also suffered much criticism for the very high salaries he and his colleagues granted themselves. Anyways, he renewed Sciences Po's prestige and was considered as one of the greatest thinkers for the reform of France's educational system.

My sincerest condolences to his friends and family, as well as to the entire Sciences Po community.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 04:34:41 AM »

RIP Richard Descoings.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 02:46:26 PM »

I know this may sound weird, but even though I've almost never seen him personally I feel extremely moved by this. Apart from the fact he was 53 and could have lived 30 more years... He was a charismatic figure inside the institution, was widely respected for his active reformism and his engagement for the prestige of Sciences Po and deserves to be called a great man. Many people are studying in this great institution thanks to him (because he helped foreigners and disfavored people to enter). Even though most of us didn't know him personally, we all had a lot of affection toward him. His death came as a shock for all us, from which I have yet to fully recover.

Sorry for the rambling.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies