Can someone explain Romney's speech? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:59:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Can someone explain Romney's speech? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can someone explain Romney's speech?  (Read 3485 times)
MalD73
Thailand
« on: April 04, 2012, 04:40:48 AM »

Just for us foreigners, can someone explain what Mitt Romney meant in his speech after winning the latest primaries when he said something like 'America will not apologize abroad' as its sounds a bit like 'we're going to do what we like and tough luck if you don't like it'. Not exactly what you might call diplomatic! Oh, and also, after he made this comment it sounded like what can only be described as a warehouse full of angry baboons had been released into the auditorium, screaming and grunting like they hadn't been fed for a week or two. Was this in fact the case or was it merely 'canned' baboon?
MalD73
Thailand
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 04:49:59 AM »

He does seem to be a bit scary! Never seen Fox news channel before but have become fascinated by it since coming to Asia for a while (don't know if they show it back home). Is it meant to be real or is it some kind of comedy channel that the rest of us don't get?
MalD73
Thailand
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 05:55:53 AM »

Surely that can't be right? I've been watching AlJazeera, BBC World, Australia Network and the local Thai news as well as Fox and the first four seem to broadly correspond in their reporting whereas Fox seems to just be making it up! Is this popular in America or is it just a 'lunatic fringe' channel?
MalD73
Thailand
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 06:58:50 AM »

So is there a sort of 'far-left' leading equivalent? Which channel has the least biased coverage? What's CNN like? Sorry to keep asking questions but I'm quite intrigued!!
MalD73
Thailand
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 08:26:07 PM »

Ok, back again with more questions! I expected Republicans and Romney supporters to back his position on any apologies for foreign policy but I also expected Democrats to say 'well, what's so bad about that (apologizing)? Instead, looking through the posts on here it looks like democrat supporters (that's the red ones right?) are stating that in fact Obama didn't apologize in the first place. I don't understand what the problem with an apology is? I consider myself a fairly decent chap but god knows I spend half my life apologizing for one thing or another (could just be that I'm a Brit, sorry!). So is it a case of apologizing is wrong or that there is nothing to apologize for? Sorry!
MalD73
Thailand
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 01:20:53 AM »

Thanks for the insight - much appreciated. I still don't think anyone's answered the question 'what is Romney's foreign policy?' Someone asked earlier but the 'answer' was 'Obama's approval rating has dropped in some parts of the Middle East'. Not really an answer there, is there? So does anyone know what his policies are or is he keeping them secret?
MalD73
Thailand
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 10:08:08 PM »

Ok, so the baboon thing is just me having a sense of humor - plus it's just not something I'm used to! Perhaps British politics would be more fun with a bit more vocal enthusiasm. But I must say this accusation of 'trolling' is a bit harsh. I happened to ask a question about Romney as I had just watched his speech on TV. I'm equally as interested in why the rest of the world seems to think Obama is so great? I hear time and time again from people I've met all over the world that Obama is the best thing to happen to America for centuries. But the world seems pretty much the same place now as it was during the Bush years and looking at the domestic problems in America, it's hard to understand where this admiration comes from. Do you think it's just the case that Obama 'isn't Bush' or is there some other explanation for this apparently undiminished admiration abroad?
MalD73
Thailand
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 11:03:02 PM »

Hmm, I'm not sure that's necessarily true for everyone. As with individuals, not all countries think alike! While you are definitely right that there are some that relish any problem for America, there are others who's fate is so inextricably linked to the USA that they view any difficulties America experiences as possibly having repercussions for themselves. There are also those who are jealous of America's wealth and power but there are others (myself included) who are fans for purely personal reasons (visited many times and loved the various places and all the people I met). For what it's worth, it seems to me that the feeling abroad that Obama is a great president inhabits the same 'mindspace' as people believing Elton John is a great musician or that U2 are the best rock band in the world. Whilst some may generally agree and like their music, others can't see what the fuss is all about. And yet, they have this mythical status based, it seems, not on any knowledge of actual achievements (ask the average foreigner to name one of Obama's) but rather on some vague idea that they must be good cause everyone says they are (spin??) I find this strange and wonder is it a case of style over substance or has Obama actually earned his reputation abroad?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies