Who's more "out of touch"? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:14:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who's more "out of touch"? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Huh
Barack Obama

Mitt Romney

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: Who's more "out of touch"?  (Read 10658 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: April 04, 2012, 04:34:48 PM »

Obama grew up in a lower middle class household, had to pay student loans, worked as a community organizer in impoverished neighborhoods and didn't live a lavish lifestyle until fairly recently. He has a personal understanding of the dilemmas faced by the average American.

Romney? lol

Obama is more out of touch.

As for growing up, his grandmother was a bank vice president, his stepfather was an oil company executive, his mother had an earned Ph D., his father was a Harvard graduate, and he went to a prestigious private school.  Until I went to college, I knew no one that upper class, in my age group.

Yet he still spent time on food stamps and going through many of the same stages of youth discontent as most people. Your point?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 08:11:52 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2012, 08:14:14 PM by Nathan »

Obama grew up in a lower middle class household, had to pay student loans, worked as a community organizer in impoverished neighborhoods and didn't live a lavish lifestyle until fairly recently. He has a personal understanding of the dilemmas faced by the average American.

Romney? lol

Obama is more out of touch.

As for growing up, his grandmother was a bank vice president, his stepfather was an oil company executive, his mother had an earned Ph D., his father was a Harvard graduate, and he went to a prestigious private school.  Until I went to college, I knew no one that upper class, in my age group.

Yet he still spent time on food stamps and going through many of the same stages of youth discontent as most people. Your point?

His mother, when a student, did.  Very upper class people have their "discontent" period.  Your point?

Obama had an early life characterized by extreme lack of certainty about things even when he was living with the richer parts of his family, is my point. He isn't a son of a governor and Cabinet minister who makes twenty-two million dollars a year for not working. He has an unusual background but it was the exact opposite of one that isolated him from the hardships of life, even if he spent much of it in relative material comfort.

Romney, at the age of nineteen, protested in favor of the draft.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 08:45:42 PM »

Obama had an early life characterized by extreme lack of certainty about things even when he was living with the richer parts of his family, is my point. He isn't a son of a governor and Cabinet minister who makes twenty-two million dollars a year for not working. He has an unusual background but it was the exact opposite of one that isolated him from the hardships of life, even if he spent much of it in relative material comfort.

No real "hardships," for Obama, unless it you call a desire to go to school in the US a "hardship."  Frankly, I think that aspect is commendable.

Maybe not necessarily economic hardships (not that Romney has either), but he understands various aspects of cultural hardship that a whitebread rich like Romney can't viscerally even if he does intellectually (which he also doesn't seem to).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

....are...are you at all familiar with the concept of 'connections'?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 09:47:15 PM »

Maybe not necessarily economic hardships (not that Romney has either), but he understands various aspects of cultural hardship that a whitebread rich like Romney can't viscerally even if he does intellectually (which he also doesn't seem to).

You don't think he could understand what can happen if he could not perform?  He couldn't rely on a trust fund.

No, actually, I really don't think Mitt Romney understands the concept of being a poor person. I think it's somewhat ridiculous to suggest otherwise, to be quite honest.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sure, and are you familiar with how few there are for the son of a former public officeholder, in a different field, in another state?
[/quote]

...he was a multiple-term governor, Cabinet minister, presidential candidate, and former boss of one of the biggest companies in the country.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies