The Good Post Gallery (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:01:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Good Post Gallery (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: The Good Post Gallery  (Read 178824 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: April 05, 2012, 10:28:38 PM »
« edited: April 05, 2012, 10:41:48 PM by Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

This better not become a "BRTD posts opebo quotes all day" thread.

Anyway BRTD isn't the biggest fan of my posts, just of me.  If you calculate the person who has placed the most of my posts in the Comedic Goldmine Institute, I'll wager it is not BRTD.

So, go calculate that and we can continue this disscussion.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 02:56:22 PM »

Seems like a great many recent posts have been removed from this thread.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 04:27:31 PM »

The fascists are to blame, of course.

They used not to carry the removals to accolade-threads such as the comedy goldmine or 'best post' threads. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 08:36:37 PM »

This site is not pedophile-friendly.

Well, that's not what the post in question was about at all, Mikado.

But it is an interesting question - what opinions are allowed?  If, in that particular thread, someone proposed a country where 'there was no law against murder', for example, would you allow that?  (I ask because in theory this is a tenet of the more anarchist of the libertarians, and you do provide an avatar for that set of opinions). 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 11:12:28 AM »

This site is not pedophile-friendly.

Well, that's not what the post in question was about at all, Mikado.

But it is an interesting question - what opinions are allowed?  If, in that particular thread, someone proposed a country where 'there was no law against murder', for example, would you allow that?  (I ask because in theory this is a tenet of the more anarchist of the libertarians, and you do provide an avatar for that set of opinions).  

Rules-lawyering and salami tactics won't get you out of this.  The post was completely unacceptable.  There is a certain degree of inherent subjectivity to the job, but it's blatantly clear that you meant what you posted in that thread more than you'd mean, say, proposing your country of 100,000 becoming the site of a reenactment of The Most Dangerous Game.

But I don't expect to 'get out of it' at all, Mikado!  The point of my exchange with you above was only to try to demonstrate to you of the absolute chilling effect you have put in place. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 03:13:54 PM »

...Pedophilia as acceptable is not a legitimate position to take, any more than "In my perfect world, we would kill all black people" would be.

I think the line to be drawn is with respect something involving both 1) a felony if committed, and 2) a felony that most folks would also consider malum in se, rather than merely malum prohibitum (e.g., felonious possession/consumption of pot).  I am all for screwing anything that moves, but the screwee needs to be 18 - going lower is malum in se.

So, conflating these two diverse sources, would, for example, posting here in advocacy of a reduction in the age-of-consent to 16 be categorized as pedophilia and thus a disallowed speech?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 03:54:29 PM »

Why does the Good Post Gallery only have 3 pages to it?

Well they removed a lot of it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 12:13:29 AM »

As well there should be.  Pedophilia as acceptable is not a legitimate position to take, any more than "In my perfect world, we would kill all black people" would be.

That's ridiculous, Mikado.  You equate sexual relations to killing?  And surely you realize that homosexuality as acceptable used to be 'not a legitimate position to take' - or for that matter interracial marriage.

In any case, if you don't like the killing, why do you accept the genocidal political point of view of the pro-capitalist posters without a second thought?  The point is that you are imposing a very narrow and strict view of what is appropriate thought, which essentially disallows any questioning or critiquing of the status-quo (liberal/capitalist/christian).
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 03:51:17 PM »

Except the currency hasn't splintered. It's still salvageable. 70% of Greeks want to remain on the Euro. The Chancellor of Germany wants the Greeks to remain on the Euro. The head of the ECB wants Greece to remain on the Euro. The heads of ND, Syriza, PASOK, and DIMAR want Greece to remain on the Euro. All the significant parties all agree. The only one dreaming is you. The real dream? The real dream is the notion that high inflation is somehow a threat in this situation. High inflation is not, and never will be a problem so long as the Euro holds together. I am willing to bet anything on that.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 01:33:25 PM »

Kind of old, but still good:

Good for him!  I hear he also did males, though only in a manly fashion (top).  However, the only aspect of his personal lifestyle that would be repulsive to a reasonable person would be his impoliteness and agressiveness. 

It is time that America face the fact that teenage girls are hot, and it is perfectly normal for men to have sex with them.

That said, it will be nice to see Swartzenaegar go down, for whatever silly reason appeals to the voters.. or maybe even for his right-wing politics.

Jeez man, what are you trying to do to me?  Enjoy it privately, don't expose it again.  Its like the well-thumbed Playboy hidden in the mattress in your cell - they know it is there, but if you leave it out all the time, they're going to take it away.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 02:47:50 PM »

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 03:10:34 PM »

I'm surprised Tender Branson didn't get whacked with some death points for that......prudish environment we are in......

Perhaps I should delete my accolades, but not before saving that link!  Wow!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 03:59:42 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2012, 01:45:30 PM by opebo »

A spanking for WhyteRian from our worthy King:

Making irresponsible sub-prime loans was hugely profitable for companies.

You're right, but think about this:  In a free market, doesn't this sound crazy?

"Making irresponsible sub-prime loans was hugely profitable for companies."

We all know the REASON why the "irresponsible sub-prime loans were HUGELY PROFITABLE", but it seems we can't face it:  The irresponsible government guarantees.

Actually, no, government guarantees had absolutely nothing to do with the major profit system of the subprime market.  It was entirely a private enterprise.   There's a huge public misconception about it because it's made out to be incredibly complicated, but really it's not.  It's, in effect, a life insurance scam.  And I hope you read this, WhyteRain.

First off, you start off with the subprime lenders, guys like Countrywide.  Contrary to popular belief, they really aren't players here.  They are manufacturers for the real players: investment banks and insurance companies, or best yet investment/insurance companies.

So, let's say you're Countrywide and you manufacture $750 million in terrible sh**tty loans.  You know that these loans are highly likely to fail.  In a normal, regulated loan system this would be a path to bankruptcy.  $750 million in loans and likely only $50 million worth of them will end up paying them back.  How does one profit here?  Simple, they sell the debt.  

In comes our first player, the investment bank.  Countrywide has $750 mil in terrible loans and needs to find some way to make a profit and so they go to Goldman Sachs and say, hey, we will sell you this $750 million in loans for $1 billion.  Goldman says yes and Countrywide profits $250 mil for making terrible loans.  But why Goldman Sachs buy these?  In a normal, government regulated loan system, Goldman would end up losing even more money than Countrywide, with $950 million in losses.  But this isn't a normal system, because in comes the next player.

The brains behind the operation is the second player, the investment/insurance bank--most famously played by AIG.   They know Goldman is running around with $1 billion in toxic assets that they bought from Countrywide and like any good insurance company, they know that all cars will crash, all people will die, and all homes will burn down eventually; and there's money to be made in the meantime.  AIG comes to Goldman with proposal: for a premium of $10 million per month, AIG will give Goldman a $2 billion insurance policy on those assets, if they were to fail.  In normal, regulated government system, this offer would be illegal.   There literally was a line in our US code that prevented this deal in the books until 1998, Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act allowed insurers and bankers to do business with each other.

The hugely profitable, totally irresponsible, entirely free market, system was now place.  AIG would profit $15 million a month (when combined with other similar deals billions a month) until an asset failed.  Goldman would sit and wait HOPING for loans to default so that way they could make the $1 billion profit of the insurance payout, which trumped any profits off mortgage interest.  At the same time, they would be ORDERING Countrywide to give out more bad loans for them to buy, hoping that they would default faster and they could collect AIG's money.  Everybody sees profit.

AIG would hope that they wouldn't default soon, or better yet, like life insurance systems, the annual profit from the premiums would outweigh the payout of a few $2 billion plans here and there.   The problem was in the housing bubble, the defaults all happened at one time: 2008.  AIG ended up owing Goldman Sachs some $150 billion in the end and Goldman wasn't the only insurer they worked with during this time.  That is why Goldman famous posted profits during the financial collapse.  They were the company all that bailout money was owed.  

So you see, it was the free market that created this profit motive.  In fact, the free market is far more efficient in these matters of risky bad business than the government, as violent economic swings are always hugely profitable.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 07:18:14 AM »

An old post from a poster who has moved on to bigger and better things in life

is this known, or just a kind cliche?

Well clearly Colin Wixted has found better things to do with his life than post on this forum.  

which assumes anyone who leaves voluntarily does so because they are doing better things; which begs the question, what is the fundamental defect of those who continue to post?

In point of fact continued posting is a good sign - of reasonable prosperity (internet access, a computer, enough food and drink to be cognizant) and health (the poster has not died or become to ill to post).  Nowadays most people who cease posting can be assumed to have fallen into poverty, living under a bridge, or to have died due to aneurism or other troubles.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 05:49:45 PM »

Chick-fil-A is a grease soaked sodium fest that is contributing to our health care crisis.  How amazing that reactionaries ignore a problem that is killing the majority of Americans (being overweight or obese) but have the time to hate on a tiny minority of the population.  If the CEO of Chick-fil-A wasn't a death merchant his comments would only be moderately disgusting.  Considering the methods he uses to line his pockets, him and the rest of the delusional right need to shut the f--- up.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 05:10:03 AM »

Opebo, I miss you! However, some of us truly move on to bigger and better things (though I like to drop in from time to time).

I miss you too, dear Horatio, and am glad to hear of your 'success'.  I alas continue in statis = a man in a sinecure is in paradise but for one thing: he knows it cannot last forever.

And my 'good post' is:

Colorado is the next Oregon.

And I think Ohio is the next Michigan.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 06:16:10 PM »

American Racist... I'd include most of you guys (White American Atlas Posters) under the heading. Tongue
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 03:00:04 PM »

You really are a bunch of disgusting people.

EternalCynic, what makes a sex crime a so-called crime in your book? Please elaborate.

The first Swedish prosecutor who considered the charge withdrew it, claiming it had no chance of success.

Only after the US cables started emerging did a previously dismissed accusation magically reappear. The most recent documents do indicate that the US is trying to get Assange to face trial over something that he, as a non-US citizen, can't be tried for. The fact that Sweden is zealously pursuing Assange when a Serb accused of murder in Sweden isn't being pursued as zealously (you know, since murder is more important than consensual sex without a condom) makes any notion that there's a black hand behind this, credible. Assange has repeatedly stated he's happy to go to Sweden if Sweden can guarantee he won't be extradited to any third country.

And besides, suave authoritarian regimes don't accuse their dissidents of treason or subverting the state. They accuse them of tax evasion, rape, bylaw infringement, and so on. The real disgusting people are those who try to manipulate the public's concern for women in order to attain a sinister goal, not those who call their BS.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 11:27:53 AM »

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 02:22:32 PM »

Whites will be less than 74% of the electorate. Their percentage is declining in every election and I don't see why this trend will be reversed now.
Voter ID laws.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 07:17:02 AM »

WOW! This is pretty bad. Now it is absolute key for the Obama camp NOT to overplay it. Let the media do their thing on this. The Obama camp should not want to get swamped in a "class warfare" debate here. They should simply point out how Obama wants to be president of ALL americans, not just half of America, how Obama doesn't think it is fair to say that senior citizens make unreasonable claims on the government, etc.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 11:22:09 AM »

He's ahead in spite of being a black.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 01:33:06 PM »

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »

The things you find when you check out the second wave feminist subforum in DU (that basically everyone else hates, including other feminists. It's like their equivalent of the 2012 forum) I'd say "LOL" but it's so dumb it's not even funny.

You're acting as if this were an isolated, radical fringe. There are a lot more of these people than you'd think especially among the white upper class.
White upper class women don't have political views. They're too busy shopping and scolding the nanny. In any case, the man haters are usually the unattractive girls who haven't been treated right. Money has very little to do with it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 03:42:04 PM »

though nothing's sexier than a very attractive heterosexual female man-hater.

Oh christ, go make a thread about your preversion somewhere else, and then we'll judge if any posts in it belong in the 'Good Gallery'.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies