The Good Post Gallery (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:34:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Good Post Gallery (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Good Post Gallery  (Read 178186 times)
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: April 06, 2012, 10:19:59 AM »

Only the bigots.  Just like the "obama is a muslim" guys.

Romney actually is a Mormon.  a key distinction.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 04:50:08 PM »

The Tea Party isn't rigid at all. They constantly complain about the national debt, and then they fully endorse the party that has historically run up the debt and is responsible for most of it at the moment. They complain about getting government encroaching in our lives and then support the party that wants to tell people who they can marry and how they can have sex.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 03:55:35 PM »

But how many times must this happen? How many times must innocents die until we wake up and say "enough is enough"! People say it's disrespectful to make this political so soon, and really what they mean is that it's bad business to talk about gun control, ever. What's disrespectful is never looking at the issue in the face and deciding to do something for once. America needs to talk gun control. Now. Not tomorrow. Not next year. Now.

No, nothing will come of this.  The sooner you accept that, and await the next murderous rampage, the easier it'll be.  Trust me.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 05:58:44 PM »

My own mother can't even get social security disability, and she is confined either to a bed, an arm chair, or a wheel chair... has use of one arm and almost no use of her legs.  But she has been told she does not qualify as apparently she's not "disabled enough".

The PCA that has worked for her for 7 years has a husband that gets $1200/month because he has a bad back and he works full time seal-coating driveways getting paid under the table so he can continue to get benefits.

You'd better be damned sure your psychological problems interfere with your life to the point that gainful employment is impossible... because from what it sounds like, your family has the resources to support you and help you get the help you need to lead a normal life.

My family has all the moral/emotional/sympathetic support in the world for my mom... but we have no money.  And before the conservatives jump in with "SEE THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN SO WE SHOULD DISMANTLE IT"... every time the GOP starts hacking at budgets with a crow bar, my mom gets kicked off of medicaid and has to go through the process of reapplying.  In the meantime, the lack of PCAs is a major financial drain on the family, who must care for her, and ultimately she ends up in the emergency room 1-2 times/month because she can't get her medications.

The fraud and gaming of the system is totally worth it if you'd quit f**king my mom over.  Thank you Smiley
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 03:27:20 PM »

Oh, how I long for the day when one of my posts will make it into the Good Post Gallery.

Those who only want never do.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 01:24:20 PM »

So my moderate Democrat step uncle (who was apolitical) isn’t dead? So he doesn’t have the problem of being…well, dead? Where did he go Link? Is he on vacation? Is he in New Orleans for the Super Bowl and Mardi Gras? Visiting Central Park in New York? Perhaps at a bluegrass festival in Live Oak? Please enlighten me on why average people are never murdered, because that’s basically what you just said.

No one is glad your step uncle died, and no one thinks his death is any less meaningful because of his political leanings (or lack thereof). That said, there's no guarantee that he'd have lived had be been armed. Just as there's no guarantee that the monsters who shot and killed him would have had the means had they not lived in America, a country that allows even the most hardened lawbreaker the opportunity to gain access to military-grade weaponry so long as he's willing to travel to the right state and dealer.

His point is that average people are almost never murdered, which is, to be fair, absolutely true. In 2009, the murder rate dropped to 5 per 100,000, the lowest it's ever been. (That murder rate includes "non-negligent manslaughter.")

Still pretty high? Arguably. But if your uncle is white, then his likelihood to have been murdered drops even more. In New York City, for example, 96% of shooting victims are either black or latino. African Americans make up about 12% of the population, but account for over 50% of the shooting victims nationally. And since your uncle was in his home, it's also relevant to mention that if you're going to be shot and killed by a stranger, it's unlikely to happen in your own home -- only 4.8% of murders are committed there.

No one is glad your uncle died -- he got dealt a really ugly hand in the sh**ttiest lottery known to man. Sorry. But those of us who think there needs to be more regulations on gun ownership are motivated in taking guns out of the hands of the bad guys -- something the NRA is literally on the record of being against everywhere but in press releases.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 11:41:39 AM »

I feel like Update has an interesting meta-story with regard to the reactions of the "audience".  Bushie himself hasn't really changed since the early days, but the audience's reactions have.

While folks here mocked Bushie's nonsense just as much in the early days, the tone has changed, and kind of gotten darker.  There's now an enhanced appreciation for how much he says is untrue, in a way that there wasn't early on.  And more recently, even while people are dispensing advice, they're simultaneously lamenting the fact that he's a lost cause, and that they're surely wasting their breath.  People are far more likely to dig the knife in with Bushie, noting that he's never going to change, and chastising him not just for being lazy and gullible, but for having a kind of parasitic relationship with his parents.

The tone has gotten much sharper ever since he announced that he was moving back in with his parents because his father told him to.  Bushie's also having a harder time directing the conversation where he wants it to go.  Other posters want to let him have it on his screwups well beyond the point at which he wants to redirect things to another topic, in a way that wasn't happening as much in the early seasons.

I'm not saying that these reactions are *undeserved*.  A man can't expect to post the same nonsense for years on end without getting this kind of backlash.  I just think it's interesting.

Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 07:01:34 PM »

We should seriously ban teenagers from posting here.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 10:18:58 AM »

Also, to you and other 16-year old kids on the forum/the internet who like politics: please stop acting as if you're 60-year old boring congressmen.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 03:13:43 PM »

god bless Oakvale:

I mean he did a good thing but ^^^ Oakvale, Gully, Lief, etc

Does anyone else appreciate the irony that he fled to Hong Kong?

I'm told Hong Kong is a glorious paradise in comparison to the fascist police state of the US, so there is no irony.

I have yet to hear a single principled left-wing argument against what these people did. And no "but paultards like them!" isn't a valid argument - nor is "but they harmed Obama's image!". Some people here are either machiavellians or utter hypocrites.

I don't know if there is one. I'm not concerned about whether my reasoning here is left-wing or not. The lionisation of reckless narcissists as heroic whisteblowers is disturbing, and occurs on both the left (with the exception of the few valiant warriors against Greenwaldites, such as the undeniably left-wing Lief, etc) and the libertarian right.

I'm not saying that this is a clear left/right issue. However, what I fail to see is how a genuine progressive could possibly disapprove of actions which did nothing except to expose a manifest and unacceptable abuse of power. Or alternatively, how a progressive with a conscience could possibly argue that spying on millions of everyday conversations is not a a manifest and unacceptable abuse of power. Have we really come to the point where the idea that there is a level of basic individual privacy that shouldn't be forsaken in the name of the "war on terror" isn't even defended by the left anymore?

Oakvale, I don't really give a crap about the personal worth of these people (well, unless they are Assange-level scumbags, which, AFAIK, they aren't). The only thing that matter is their actions, and in this case their actions were just and courageous.

I don't accept the premise that a "manifest and unacceptable abuse of power" took place. It's - as far as anyone can tell - perfectly legal and seems to me to be an appropriate use of resources. The NSA isn't reading our Atlas PMs, guys. Even if you believe that it's some kind of shadowy masonic organisation bent on destroying "individual privacy" just in terms of labour and computing power it's not possible.

I've never had a problem with state surveillance and intelligence gathering. Not under Bush, not under Blair, not under Obama, and if that's not a 'progressive' position then so be it. The questionable statements of the leaker in this situation are important - he's made several implausible and grandiose claims - did anyone else notice he casually mentioned that the CIA would "use the Triads" to "silence" him? Life is not a Tom Clancy technothriller.

Unless you have a problem with the NSA existing in principle - and you might, and that's a valid position that I happen not to agree with - I'm really not sure what there is to get worked up about here. The right to privacy is great but it's quite a leap to suggest that this is the coming of the fascist Orwellian police state - modern countries run intelligence operations that include data gathering. News at 11.

They're not listening in on private phone conversations of people who aren't suspected. What the NSA has is phone records - allow me to quote from the Guardian article -

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'd argue that this is a crucially different form of surveillance than indiscriminately listening to the content of private conservations. Which, as I said before, even if the NSA wanted to wouldn't be technologically feasible.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 05:47:59 PM »

Generally I interpret policies that have been ratified by all three branches of the federal government as "legal means." Not sure what your definition is.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 10:19:25 AM »

Look man, you don't get it. Short posts don't belong here, unless they offer an amazingly profound insight. Especially not single sentences. Especially not a random answer to a poll question that basically just repeats the wording of the original post. Nothing against afleitch of course, I love the guy, but you're just doing it wrong soooo badly. If you can't tell from the posts of others, please note for future reference that posts in the Good Post Gallery are supposed to be "Effort Posts," when a forumite crafts a well-thought out and nuanced statement that outclasses all other responses in the thread. When a considerable amount of time, effort, and thought went into the creation of the post, and it's plainly evident when reading it. That's a good post. That's what this thread is for. If you want to post little one-sentence things like what you've been quoting, just put them in your signature- that's why it's there.

Hope this helps you discern what to post here so everyone else doesn't get pissed at you and change the thread title or have quotes with a hundred point font or report your posts to mods Smiley
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 03:24:45 PM »

It's hilarious that people in this thread are basically saying "rape happens, unfortunately, so being a feminist won't change that" when the idea of feminism is to change society so rape doesn't happen

We don't deny that rape happens, we deny that it is the woman's fault and we accept that men should control their urges instead of raping women

So keep digging me for being a feminist, i'm gonna take my "slacktivism" everywhere I go, because I constantly tell people not to slut-shame, victim blame or make rape jokes if i'm in the room unless they want a stern lecturing (ooooh badass, right?)

If you people don't believe society can't change, you're sorely mistaken.

The legion of strawmen you just destroyed with this post brings to mind ancient myths of Egyptian Pharaohs singlehandedly wiping out their enemies on the field of battle as their armies cower in fear behind them.

The problem with this "debate" isn't posters like, say, Nathan who actually know what the f they're talking about and have some knowledge of academic feminism. It's the bravery bandwagon of teenagers like you and Snowstalker who have apparently decided to latch on to shallow Tumblr "feminism" as their latest affectation in the long string of ideologies they'll passionately subscribe to for a couple of months.  I get, you're liberal or whatever now. You don't need to keep attempting to prove such by spending your days existing in a state of perpetual outrage.

I am covered in buzzword vomit, and it's not pleasant.

Shockingly, I also believe that rape is a bad thing. You don't get any justice brownie points for that groundbreaking and courageous opinion. It is actually possible to admit there are situations where rape is more likely to occur and that it's wise for women to try and avoid said while - wait for it! - still thinking rape is an abhorrent crime! I hope that's not too complex to process. It's awful that rape is a thing that happens, but it doesn't constitute "victim blaming" to suggest that people minimise the risk, and it's obscene and offensive to suggest that those of us who think that's (unfortunately) a sensible position are somehow blaming the victim or are in any way okay with rape.

I don't think it's absurd to suggest that people can change society. I do think it's absurd to act like calling out some random people on an internet forum with a litany of empty buzzwords and moral posturing is an example of anything approaching productive discourse.

Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 06:33:26 PM »

Anyway, calling our position "hawkish" is stupid. The so-called "peace" position basically boils down to allowing (and implicitly encouraging!) Assad to continue to indiscriminately massacre Syrian civilians, while confirming to all other dictators in the world that the use of chemical weapons is no longer taboo. How is that any more anti-war than our position?

Deaths will if anything spike if we get involved, and given that all of the fighting is in urban areas against a far more competent military force than Qaddafi's, anything more than a limited strike on chemical weapons assets (which obviously won't stop the killing or harm the regime's warmaking capacity in any way--95%+ of deaths have been from conventional weaponry, which is somehow okay) will result in massive collateral damage that won't do much to improve Syrian civilians' opinion of us.

A foreign imperial power trying to bring peace with bombs will only cause more suffering than there already is in Syria, but of course the military contractors whose tentacles extend into our government media won't let that view see the light of day. Why do you think MSNBC, a network of Obama hacks, is so gung-ho about bombing Syria? Why, they're owned by GE, which also owns the presidency. Like all wars, the owning class sends the working class to battle.

Getting back to Syria, a large chunk of the opposition is Sunni Islamists and that chunk is growing daily, leading me to suspect that if Assad is somehow ousted, he would be replaced with either bloody chaos or an Islamist regime. If the latter happens, expect it to be whitewashed like how Kosovo's president is a horrifically corrupt mob boss who butchered Serbs for their organs or how Libya is on the brink of collapse into tribal warfare while Islamists are cracking down on women's rights and making Rick Santorum look like Dan Savage in their homophobic rhetoric.

Tedious teenage wannabe Howard Zinn posts do not belong here.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies