CT to repeal the death penalty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:42:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CT to repeal the death penalty
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: CT to repeal the death penalty  (Read 21020 times)
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2012, 06:48:37 AM »

Yay! They can go back to work in the GA and raise taxes and force young people out of the state again!

Ned Lamont would have put this state back on track.
I am glad we abolished the death penalty but Malloy shouldn't hide behind buzzwords, he should firmly dismiss an archaic form of punishment.

No, Lamont wouldn't have. None of the candidates running for Governor would have put this state on track. I think the only people from each party who could have done so would have been Chris Shays, and Dick Blumenthal. Either way, the Democrats in the GA never want to work with Republicans. That state will never change.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #151 on: April 30, 2012, 12:23:11 PM »

extremely natural, rational, and reasonable human desire for vengeance for evildoers.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm speechless.

Are you some type of mother teresa type of person that has never sought retribution against another human being?

Are you some type of Gilles de Rais type of person that has never thought it might be possible that a natural instinct could be, uh, wrong?

I suspect that the support of the death penalty is rooted in the extremely natural, rational, and reasonable human desire for vengeance for evildoers. And our Constitution of course implicitly accepts the legality of executing such villains. Nothing wrong with that!

Now that is what the government is for. Not protecting the rights of voters, not balancing the playing field, not improving the economy for more than a few thousand people. It's killing its citizens. And for emotional reasons no less! How very liberal of you, using emotion as a driving force in political and legally murderous momentary satisfaction. Cost effective and rational, excellent.

PS - google rational, I don't think you're getting it

Hmm? Governments have used death to punish infamous criminals for thousands of years now. If there is indeed a list of the 'purposes' of government, it is to rid society of such individuals to ensure the freedom of man.

This is what is known among the kids these days as 'the big house', which is a much cheaper option (something that was not the case for thousands of years) and does not have significantly less value as a deterrent. I suppose if you're only interested in revenge it's somewhat disappointing, but I honestly don't care what people who are only interested in revenge think.

Of course not. Those people were rich, many of them owning humans as private property. Also, you know, agrarian society, two hundred years ago, radically different political economy, et cetera.

Right or wrong is of course a value judgment. Certainly there are some who believe that what happened to the Petits is not wrong. Certainly there are many who wish to inflict punishment upon the perpetrators of such heinous crimes and that's why we have the lethal injection.

The thought of Steven Hayes and his ilk enduring the maximum punishment that is not both cruel and unusual makes many others more comfortable at night. Fairness demands that he suffer in some proportion to the suffering that he inflicted upon others.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #152 on: April 30, 2012, 05:06:08 PM »

The death penalty is utterly barbaric, and it's a shame that it's taking this long to achieve abolition.

extremely natural, rational, and reasonable human desire for vengeance for evildoers

Yeah, tell that to the Norwegians, who are singing songs and such outside the courthouse where a violent Neo-Nazi mass-murderer is being tried, rather than organizing lynchmobs, like what would occur in the U.S.  Stop chalking up your cultural views to something biologically determined.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #153 on: April 30, 2012, 08:04:56 PM »

For a moment, I thought the GA was going to start actually working. But nope, tonight they are discussing  HB 5024. Ugh, I can't believe the stupid things that actually get brought forward.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2012, 12:09:12 AM »

Right or wrong is of course a value judgment. Certainly there are some who believe that what happened to the Petits is not wrong. Certainly there are many who wish to inflict punishment upon the perpetrators of such heinous crimes and that's why we have the lethal injection.

Are you familiar with the concept of false dichotomies? How about that of poisoning the wells?

Right, which is why I'm glad that it's looking increasingly likely he'll never be let out of the hole until his natural last end.

Not as such, it doesn't.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies