CT to repeal the death penalty (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:21:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CT to repeal the death penalty (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CT to repeal the death penalty  (Read 21183 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: April 06, 2012, 09:35:22 PM »

Now I could take the opportunity to call you a fake Christian.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 10:51:16 PM »

officepark is a hipster?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 11:01:15 PM »

Any of the conservative Catholics who get so sincere and devoted to life over the issue of contraception care to take this opportunity for ideological consistency? Doubt it.

Why this concentration on Catholics as opposed to the devout Protestants on this forum? 

Which Protestants here are against contraception?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 12:53:14 AM »

The thing that pisses me off about this isn't just the hypocrisy in keeping the current death row population (as I noted in another thread) but the fact that doing so will also cost the state millions and it's incredibly unlikely any of the current inmates on death row will actually be executed, since getting an execution in Connecticut was almost impossible even under the old statute (much like California and Pennsylvania, where the only people executed have been "volunteers" who waived all their appeals, and the one person executed in Connecticut under its old statute was the same.) It reminds me of New York spending several million to reinstate the death penalty, which effectively might as well have just been withdrawn in cash and burnt.

But I'd still vote for it if I were in the state legislature.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 12:55:22 AM »
« Edited: April 13, 2012, 12:57:42 AM by blood red X's for every 24 hours ive suffered through »

And for the record, that's also why I've come to the conclusion that even if I didn't think the death penalty was morally objectionable (which I do), I would still consider it not worth the costs and bureaucracy with the way it's done in most states. Even if I changed my mind on the moral status of the death penalty, I'd still oppose its institution in Minnesota since doing so would accomplish nothing but waste a couple million of state funds.

It's like the old joke about the military recruits complaining about how the mess hall served such awful food, and in such small helpings. Capital punishment is a morally abhorrent practice, and the fact that most states are so incompetent in carrying it out kind of makes the whole thing even more pathetic and worthy of opposition, even if it's preferable to it actually being competent and effectively carried out as in China.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 10:53:32 AM »

Wait vengeance is the primary purpose of the justice system? So we seek "vengeance" against people who drive too fast or illegally park?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies