Romney making a mega buy in PA.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:07:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney making a mega buy in PA.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Romney making a mega buy in PA.  (Read 3968 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2012, 07:19:16 PM »

http://www.politicspa.com/breaking-romney-campaign-plans-mega-buy-of-pa-tv/33753/

Apparently, he isn't investing in the Pittsburgh market.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 07:27:46 PM »

So he's buying off the market he's more likely to win anyway? Romney needs to campaign in swingy counties like Lehigh and Lancaster (which, being on the ground, I think will be close), not Chester and Montgomery.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 07:31:39 PM »

FTW. At least Santorum won't lose to a bald guy this time.
jmc247
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 08:20:41 PM »

Apparently, he isn't investing in the Pittsburgh market.

He isn't, but his SuperPAC I suspect might invest in the Pittsburgh market. The kind of hard core negative ads he has run in the past against his GOP rivals I think he is trying to move away from as he tries to unite the party and start his general election campaign.

But, his SuperPAC is still running much more negative ads and negative ads are great for lowering overall turnout in an area that might be strong for your rival.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 08:27:49 PM »

So he's buying off the market he's more likely to win anyway? Romney needs to campaign in swingy counties like Lehigh and Lancaster (which, being on the ground, I think will be close), not Chester and Montgomery.

Nothing seems to turn on the statewide vote, so it is all about picking off individual CD's when it comes to delegates. And probably there are more swing voters outside western, PA then inside anyway.  As a wild guess, the Lehigh Valley and the York/Harrisburg area are homes to the closest CD's.
jmc247
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 08:36:32 PM »

Nothing seems to turn on the statewide vote, so it is all about picking off individual CD's when it comes to delegates. And probably there are more swing voters outside western, PA then inside anyway.  As a wild guess, the Lehigh Valley and the York/Harrisburg area are homes to the closest CD's.

I think its more about the public and media perception of beating Santorum in his own home state. If Romney wins the popular vote there he will be where Newt currently is very quickly unless he drops out.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 08:37:15 PM »

This race has to end, and since Santorum has let his own vanity blind him to reality, this is the inevitable result.

Santorum has had several opporunities to make a gracious, graceful exit, but has refused to do so.

Losing on his home turf, if he does, will not exactly be the exit Santorum was planning on.

Whoever said politics was pretty?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 09:17:34 PM »

Erie will have some spillover into NY (though not a lot).

Philadelphia = Delaware.  The bulk of the population in DE is in the Phila media market and DE has 17 WTA delegates.  That is a big chunk of the delegates on 4/24.

It will be difficult to target CD's, because the delegates are not pledged.

The Central PA Media Market is the most interesting buy. 
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 09:27:33 PM »

All the camps seem to be keeping who "their" delegates are pretty much under wraps---or if there is an effort being made, it's really local or rather clandestine.

For the Romney camp...it doesn't really matter.  Presumably, a large number of the delegates (who really just want to go to Tampa / add to their resume, rather than support a particular candidate) are presumably going to come around to Romney sooner or later.  If people pick delegates based on name recognition alone, they're likely voting for someone who will eventually vote for Romney.

For the Santorum camp...Santorum doesn't exactly have full 'slates' of delegates anywhere, which is really just embarassing.

For the Paul camp...having the Paul delegates be public knowledge likely hurts their chances of getting delegates by chance.

And nobody cares about Gingrich.

The "but it's about the delegates!" story will be some nice spin from the Romney camp if he loses---but the odds are we won't know even where half of the elected delegates' loyalties lie the day after.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 10:30:06 PM »

I imagine that Romney wants this over quickly.  Yes, the race is effectively over, but every day that Santorum stays in is a day that could have been used campaigning against Obama.  A win in Pennsylvania would be the ultimate knockout punch, allowing Romney to finally focus on the general election
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 12:04:06 AM »

Based on a lot of what I'm hearing lately, I suspect Santorum will be dropping out next week anyway.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 12:15:38 AM »

I'm in a Borg mood today ... Tongue

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 09:27:11 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2012, 09:28:51 AM by Torie »

Based on a lot of what I'm hearing lately, I suspect Santorum will be dropping out next week anyway.

Rick's latest pawn move is to try to make Texas winner take all. Unfortunately for him, the RNC has to approve that, so ...

Anyway, the man is still breathing fire. For what purpose I am not sure. I don't think it will help his future career much hanging in way past his shelf life.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 09:38:58 AM »

His career is pretty much over anyway. He won't win any statewide races in Pennsylvania anymore. What does he have left?

Maybe he is eying for a position with Fox.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 10:26:48 AM »

Rick's latest pawn move is to try to make Texas winner take all. Unfortunately for him, the RNC has to approve that, so ...

Anyway, the man is still breathing fire. For what purpose I am not sure. I don't think it will help his future career much hanging in way past his shelf life.

Even Texas became WTA, Romney's all but got it in the bag.
jmc247
Rookie
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 12:36:11 PM »

Romney has had second thoughts and by second thoughts I mean he has decided to increase his ad buy by over a million dollars and go on the air in Pittsburg.

The ad bombardment of the state at this point follows the "nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to make sure" philosophy of campaigning.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 03:32:41 PM »

His career is pretty much over anyway. He won't win any statewide races in Pennsylvania anymore. What does he have left?

Maybe he is eying for a position with Fox.
I think he's too confrontational for TV.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 04:52:29 PM »

Ιf Romney had any class and wanted to show to Santorum that he respects him then he shouldn't contest Pennsylvania.
But we are talking about Romney here, a man who is unanimously hated be all the other 2008 and 2012 candidates.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 05:43:04 PM »

Ιf Romney had any class and wanted to show to Santorum that he respects him then he shouldn't contest Pennsylvania.
But we are talking about Romney here, a man who is unanimously hated be all the other 2008 and 2012 candidates.

My friend, Romney has, by many accounts, approximately 40% support in PA, and that will likely be growing.  Why would you want to deprive these people of having their opportunity to support Romney in the primary, while Santorum has been mean mouthing him for months now?

Santorum's the one who should not be contesting PA, by announcing his withdrawal from the race.

This may happen if there is some validity to the statement from Eraserhead that he expects Santorum to be withdrawing next week, based on what he's been hearing.  I do not know his sources.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 06:23:47 PM »

My friend, Romney has, by many accounts, approximately 40% support in PA, and that will likely be growing.  Why would you want to deprive these people of having their opportunity to support Romney in the primary, while Santorum has been mean mouthing him for months now?

Santorum's the one who should not be contesting PA, by announcing his withdrawal from the race.

This may happen if there is some validity to the statement from Eraserhead that he expects Santorum to be withdrawing next week, based on what he's been hearing.  I do not know his sources.

Shut up moron.

Oh tut tut now.  Don't get your boxers in a knot. 

Resorting to personal attacks and name calling now are we?
Nichlemn

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 07:21:58 PM »

lolwut. When was the last time a candidate chose not to contest a state that they otherwise had a strong chance of winning? And how is Romney so hated by his fellow candidates that he's been endorsed by at least four of them so far?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 07:26:07 PM »

Wow, Px is worse than we all thought. Grow up kid. Of all the people to lecture others on being classy...

Nichlemn

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 08:10:18 PM »

Wow, Px is worse than we all thought. Grow up kid. Of all the people to lecture others on being classy...

According to his profile, he's 36...
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 08:25:04 PM »

According to his profile, he's 36...
Which is why the kid ought to grow up. Better late than never, they say.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 08:29:22 PM »

Shut up moron.
Don't make such ridiculous statements if you don't like people challenging them.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies