State electricity profiles (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:24:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  State electricity profiles (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: State electricity profiles  (Read 5233 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: August 18, 2012, 12:04:16 AM »

CA is an interesting item there. They were so far ahead in 1999, yet have merely doubled since then, while most states grew by far larger margins.

California has NIMBYism keeping it from building the transmission lines need to take more advantage of wind power.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 07:51:03 PM »

No surprises really except for Hawaii and D.C. mainly using petroleum for electricity. Thought they'd be gassing it up.

LNG carriers are a relatively recent phenomenon. with the first small carrier setting sale only in 1959.  Hawaii never built the infrastructure for the domestic use of natural gas and thus never needed to build what would be needed to import gas for electricity generation.  Thus Hawaii has a chicken and egg problem when it comes to natural gas.  HEI (the primary electric utility) would need to not only build new generating plants, but also an LNG terminal.  Indeed, three LNG terminals if they were to build gas generators on Hawai'i and Maui as well as Oahu. (Kaui'i is served by a co-op.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 01:23:26 PM »

Keep in mind that Hawaii has not one but four separate electricity grids: Oahu, Hawai'i, Maui, and Kaui'i.  A typically sized gas generator plant (~100MW) would be overkill for any of them except Oahu.  The nearest LNG source is Alaska, not the West Coast.  (Alaska's LNG heads mainly to Japan.)  The West Coast has no facilities to export or import LNG, tho there are some proposals for terminals to be built in Oregon. (Originally import terminals, but with the success of shale gas, they've been reworked as export terminals, but so far they haven't been approved.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies