The poem by Günter Grass
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:51:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The poem by Günter Grass
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The poem by Günter Grass  (Read 3823 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2012, 07:43:27 AM »
« edited: April 09, 2012, 07:49:47 AM by General Buck Turgidson »

Israeli interior minister Eli Yishai has banned Günter Grass from entering Israel.

That'll teach him!

It's a basic thing for a country to be able to decide who can and can't enter the country and an activist against that country seems like a good candidate for being banned, so I really don't see any problem with this.

So, basically what you are saying is that sovereign governments have the right to act stupid.

This is of course true.

(Just like you have the right to write stupid poems in a free society, of course. Tongue )
danny
Israel

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2012, 11:27:45 AM »

Israeli interior minister Eli Yishai has banned Günter Grass from entering Israel.

That'll teach him!

It's a basic thing for a country to be able to decide who can and can't enter the country and an activist against that country seems like a good candidate for being banned, so I really don't see any problem with this.

So, basically what you are saying is that sovereign governments have the right to act stupid.

This is of course true.

(Just like you have the right to write stupid poems in a free society, of course. Tongue )

Yes, but I don't think this actually was a stupid decision, and I would have done the same if I were in Yishai's place, Israel shouldn't be letting activists against itself in to the country.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2012, 03:15:45 PM »

That'll teach him!

This is of course true.

Yes, but I don't think this actually was a stupid decision, and I would have done the same if I were in Yishai's place, Israel shouldn't be letting activists against itself in to the country.

The problem is than Grass isn't an activist against Israel, but an activist against current policies of Israel government. He just protested a policy of Israeli government, he didn't called to the destruction of it.

It is like if Bush banned entry in the USA to anybody not supporting Iraq war.
It's attacking freedom of mind and it shouldn't happen in a democracy.

If the government continue like that, it shouldn't be surprised when the list of its allies will decrease.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies