Census Releases Biggest Metro/County Growers (2010-2011) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:29:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Census Releases Biggest Metro/County Growers (2010-2011) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Census Releases Biggest Metro/County Growers (2010-2011)  (Read 3301 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: April 10, 2012, 06:43:22 PM »

I wish they gave some data on domestic net migration. I wonder if there is that large of a net migration out of California or not. I suspect there is out of Southern California, but wouldn't be surprised if the Bay Area, especially the Silicon Valley, held it's ground.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 11:32:23 AM »

I wish they gave some data on domestic net migration. I wonder if there is that large of a net migration out of California or not. I suspect there is out of Southern California, but wouldn't be surprised if the Bay Area, especially the Silicon Valley, held it's ground.

Believe it or not, the fastest growing county in CA for the subject year per the link was Riverside County.  Which is odd, since Gallup in its poll ranked Riverside as the second worst place in the US to find a job based on respondents comments (Providence was first).  I guess folks like living in hell or something. Or folks are living full time in all those vacation homes in the desert.

Cheap housing and, until recently, cheaper gas meant Riverside County became a more attractive place to live. And outside of a few neighborhoods in Riverside, it doesn't have a hellhole on the scale of San Bernardino. Plus retiree growth in the desert continues too I suspect and house prices must have collapsed there as well, making retiring there more attractive to some. Finding jobs within Riverside County must be hard though. You got to go to OC.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 09:50:29 PM »

There is in fact data on domestic net migration. Smiley
http://www.census.gov/popest/data/counties/totals/2011/CO-EST2011-05.html

Excellent! Thank you!

Looks like Los Angeles County had more net domestic migration out of it than all of California, meaning the rest of California had net migration in. Riverside County gained a lot from domestic net migration and modest increases in Orange and Contra Costa County. Santa Clara lost people, which surprised me, but San Francisco and San Mateo gained people. And while Riverside was gaining 14,000 people from net domestic migration, San Bernardino only gained like half a thousand. Very interesting.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 02:14:26 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2012, 02:17:59 AM by Senator Sbane »

Looks like Los Angeles County had more net domestic migration out of it than all of California, meaning the rest of California had net migration in. Riverside County gained a lot from domestic net migration and modest increases in Orange and Contra Costa County. Santa Clara lost people, which surprised me, but San Francisco and San Mateo gained people. And while Riverside was gaining 14,000 people from net domestic migration, San Bernardino only gained like half a thousand. Very interesting.
Maybe Moreno Valley is easier to get to than Victorville, and you can also get to Orange and San Diego counties directly from Riverside.

And maybe Palm Springs, etc. is less vulnerable to unemployment since retired people don't need jobs.

Actually the I-15 corridor from south Corona to Murrieta/Temecula is probably more relevant. Also there are some newer communities on the I-15 north of the 91 north of Norco near the SBD county line. It's odd how that area has still remained more or less rural, but not for long. The commute all the way from Moreno Valley to OC would be quite hellish, but yeah, better than Victorville. Also I am sure the Palm Springs area continue to gain people, with employment not a concern for the retirees, lower house prices I am sure are attracting them in good numbers.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies