Romney Campaign: CO, NV, OH and VA will decide General Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:13:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney Campaign: CO, NV, OH and VA will decide General Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Romney Campaign: CO, NV, OH and VA will decide General Election  (Read 7653 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 01:23:30 AM »

ppp tweet today
You must be logged in to read this quote.
If that's the case, then there must be a bunch of blow hard dummies in this state.

Judging from your sig, you're absolutely right.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 01:29:00 AM »

ppp tweet today
If that's the case, then there must be a bunch of blow hard dummies in this state.

Judging from your sig, you're absolutely right.
Yeah, sure...
America First
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.29, S: -6.35

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 02:26:33 AM »

ppp tweet today
What's the difference between Black Obama and White Obama?
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 02:42:32 AM »

ppp tweet today
What's the difference between Black Obama and White Obama?
I'm taking a look at the third party candidates too, not writing them off.
America First
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 02:47:25 AM »
« Edited: April 10, 2012, 02:49:52 AM by America First »

That's fair enough.  I don't really like any of the major parties or 3rd parties.  I'm probably going to end up writing in someone Sad  I guess if Gary Johnson has a chance I'd vote for him.

I'd love to kick BHO out of office as much as anyone, but not to replace him with a white Mormon robotic clone of him.   Hopefully if Romney is the nominee, he will do so bad that the GOP will grow a pair and not vote for whatever faux conservative the establishment supports in the 2016 primaries.  Rand Paul 2016 hopefully!
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 09:16:41 AM »

So Romney is considering Florida to be safe for him? Is their new Governor even better at stealing elections than Jeb was?

Governor Rick Scott is corrupt enough and extremist enough that he might have the proclivity should such be the difference. (See also Scott Walker, Governor of Wisconsin). Defeat of President Obama means that he has nothing to fear from Attorney General Eric Holder.

Nothing in the Constitution guarantees that the statewide votes for President be fair.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 09:39:02 AM »

That's fair enough.  I don't really like any of the major parties or 3rd parties.  I'm probably going to end up writing in someone Sad  I guess if Gary Johnson has a chance I'd vote for him.

I'd love to kick BHO out of office as much as anyone, but not to replace him with a white Mormon robotic clone of him.   Hopefully if Romney is the nominee, he will do so bad that the GOP will grow a pair and not vote for whatever faux conservative the establishment supports in the 2016 primaries.  Rand Paul 2016 hopefully!

I'm still going to vote for President Obama -- but I would love to see Gary Johnson on the ballot as an alternative to the corporate stooge that the Reactionary Party is sure to nominate. A strong showing by a libertarian candidate -- especially if that candidate picks off some electoral votes (most likely places -- the High Plains or even a 36-34-20 win of some Southern state) would show libertarianism as an alternative to the militarist, racist, greed-driven, callous, superstitious clique that has hijacked the GOP.

America does not need a 'conservatism with cruelty'. Fascism can provide that, and when conservatives become as cruel as the old exploitative elites and as ruthless as Commies they might as well be fascists. America needs "Conservatism with a Human Face" as a default when liberals go too far or prove incompetent. Conservatism will eventually revive with more rationality and decency  -- but it may be a question of whether it revives from a wing of the Obama coalition or with the Libertarians as the core if the GOP goes the way of the States' Rights or American Independent Party.

By all standards except ideology (which can never be proved true or false except with extremists), President Obama is an above-average President by historical standards and should be re-elected handily. He is no extremist; he has adopted the Bush I/Clinton foreign policy as his own and exercised it well. The economy is on the mend, if not as fast as people want but faster than many of us expected late in 2008. He has avoided scandals. If the GOP could survive 20 years of FDR and Truman it can certainly survive eight years of Barack Obama, who has yet to show himself quite up to the level of Truman or FDR. 
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »

OH, VA, FL, NC are four crucial states Romney will need to win. A win in NV and NH would help too.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 11:01:04 AM »

Not necessarily. If Romney picks up CO, IA, IN, NC, FL, and PA, he wins.

And I don't think Pennsylvania will be as much of a longshot this year as people think. Romney's not doing bad there. He is doing bad in Virginia though. Bad enough that it's almost looking like a lost cause.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 11:03:29 AM »

And I don't think Pennsylvania will be as much of a longshot this year as people think. Romney's not doing bad there. He is doing bad in Virginia though. Bad enough that it's almost looking like a lost cause.

The polling from PA does look weak for Obama, but it just seems odd that this candidate in this year would be the first Republican to break a 20-year losing streak in PA.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2012, 11:07:51 AM »

Yeah, I see your point. And once the primaries have fully ravaged PA, I'm sure Romney will be back to a huge deficit there anyway. Oh well.

America First
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2012, 12:34:25 PM »

Yeah, and if Gary Johnson picks up those states, he wins as well.  The problem is that it's not going to happen.  Republicans don't want to turn out to vote for White Obama, Democrats already have Black Obama, and everyone in between can see he's an empty suit with no substance.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2012, 12:56:02 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2012, 01:48:12 PM by AmericanNation »

The polling from PA does look weak for Obama, but it just seems odd that this candidate in this year would be the first Republican to break a 20-year losing streak in PA.

I had a similar thought, but if you think about it, it makes sense.  Significant #'s of non Yankee - blue color workers are fatigued and questioning the failed leadership of not just Obama, but 30 to 40 years of Democrats in their state.  Wisconsin is in the same boat.  Eventually you recognize you have been Orphaned by the democrat party.    
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2012, 01:50:58 PM »

Romney's right... and all 4 will go for Obama.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2012, 01:52:39 PM »

So Romney is considering Florida to be safe for him? Is their new Governor even better at stealing elections than Jeb was?

No, not at all. Florida will be close as usual. And he will campaign heavily here as both parties do. If FL is a true swing state, Obama has already won. The RNC next door tampa could make it more GOP than usual, kinda like MN was in 2008 (less DEM)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2012, 03:50:30 PM »

Did the latest polling lead them to lower the importance of NH? It is far easier to get then CO or NV.

OH, VA, FL, NC are four crucial states Romney will need to win. A win in NV and NH would help too.

Those four states are 4 electoral votes shy of victory (assuming FL and IN) vote Republican. He needs one of NH, NV, CO or IA to win at that point. New Hampshire is the easiest to get, no hispanics, has a slight GOP trend (Now has more registered Republicans then Democrats for the first time since probably before 2006), and the GOP did very well there in 2010. Romney was leading there for months until the primaries got ugly.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2012, 04:34:16 PM »

Why are people talking about CO? Obama's up by 12 in CO.

If Mitt's best chance is to flip CO, he's done. If CO's a battleground state and he's down by more than 10, he's also done.
milhouse24
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2012, 05:07:58 PM »

If Romney chooses Corbett as VP, does that make PA competitive? 

Corbett is an Army veteran and attorney general.  He would be a good pick.  He can also help get volunteers for Ohio. 
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2012, 05:11:27 PM »

Corbett stepped in it with woman recently. Not a good place to double down on considering Romney has his own issues there.

He has other issues as well.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2012, 05:18:53 PM »

Good to see that Republicans are taking Indiana for granted a second general election year in a row!

2008 was just a bit different, my friend. Wink

Moneybags Mittens is not gonna play well in the Rust Belt.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2012, 06:55:38 AM »

Obama is going to play well in the Rust Belt?  Did you witness 2010?  What part of hostile to your existence is appealing?  Obama's Energy and Environmental policy (for instance) is driving a wedge into his coalition.  In WI, OH, PA, MI he needs to win blue collar whites or its over.  They BUILD things and use a ton of energy to do it.  Obama (and increasingly his party) is a mortal threat to their livelihood.         
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »

Obama is going to play well in the Rust Belt?  Did you witness 2010?  What part of hostile to your existence is appealing?  Obama's Energy and Environmental policy (for instance) is driving a wedge into his coalition.  In WI, OH, PA, MI he needs to win blue collar whites or its over.  They BUILD things and use a ton of energy to do it.  Obama (and increasingly his party) is a mortal threat to their livelihood.         

His record in saving the U.S. auto industry vs. recommending bankruptcy and potential liquidation (there was no private capital to be had in fall '08 to save Detroit) is going to help Obama. His energy record is more conservative (i.e., more drilly) now than his rhetoric was in '08. If these issues didn't deliver PA to McCain, I don't see how they're going to deliver it to Romney.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2012, 01:52:51 PM »

His record in saving the U.S. auto industry vs. recommending bankruptcy and potential liquidation (there was no private capital to be had in fall '08 to save Detroit) is going to help Obama. His energy record is more conservative (i.e., more drilly) now than his rhetoric was in '08. If these issues didn't deliver PA to McCain, I don't see how they're going to deliver it to Romney.

Romney said he would have had the government step in if there were no private capital (although he thinks their would be), to save the industry, but not government money to save the unions and their pension plans, which is what happened.   The BK tool would have been used for that.  So the message is anti union (when it comes to spending government money on them), not anti industry.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2012, 02:01:55 PM »

Romney said he would have had the government step in if there were no private capital (although he thinks their would be), to save the industry, but not government money to save the unions and their pension plans, which is what happened.   The BK tool would have been used for that.  So the message is anti union (when it comes to spending government money on them), not anti industry.
And they did go bankrupt after the government gave them a ton of money and then Obama violated bankruptcy law to screw over bond holders and pay off the UAW.  So, I'm not sure how "saving the auto industry from going bankrupt" when it "went bankrupt" is a winner.     
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2012, 02:43:55 PM »

How does Romney distinguish between money that goes in to "save the industry" but not "to save the unions"? This kind of logic usually doesn't fly when applied to health insurance funding and abortion.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies