Opinion of clarence
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:33:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of clarence
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Opinion of clarence  (Read 4583 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 09:30:18 PM »

I disagree with a lot of his opinions, but I can understand where they come from given his experiences and background. And given that I can't really find them repulsive. He seems to be a reasonably tolerant person doing his best to engage in civil discourse and he provides a different perspective than many others on here.

You know, I really have a feeling you wouldn't be feeling that way if I said some of the things he did...

Such as?

You're way more aggressive than he is towards those who disagree with you. And your inability to grasp others' perspectives on most issues is often quite mind-boggling.

I'm thinking of the things he's said about women. If I was ever posting stuff that misogynistic  you'd be calling for my banning.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 01:34:42 AM »

I disagree with a lot of his opinions, but I can understand where they come from given his experiences and background. And given that I can't really find them repulsive. He seems to be a reasonably tolerant person doing his best to engage in civil discourse and he provides a different perspective than many others on here.

You know, I really have a feeling you wouldn't be feeling that way if I said some of the things he did...

Such as?

You're way more aggressive than he is towards those who disagree with you. And your inability to grasp others' perspectives on most issues is often quite mind-boggling.

I'm thinking of the things he's said about women. If I was ever posting stuff that misogynistic  you'd be calling for my banning.

I don't call for bans of people just because they disagree with me.

What has he said about women that is so misogynistic? Showing desire for women is not misogynistic, for the record. You still seem to be under the misconception that I'm some kind of prude when it comes to that, but disliking sexual abuse and exploitation of poor women is not the same as disliking, you know, normal sexual relationships.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 09:20:17 AM »

Such as?

What has he said about women that is so misogynistic? Showing desire for women is not misogynistic, for the record. You still seem to be under the misconception that I'm some kind of prude when it comes to that, but disliking sexual abuse and exploitation of poor women is not the same as disliking, you know, normal sexual relationships.

If you're a mod, you can read his deleted posts, right? Also I think he defended Herman Cain during that whole thing, and not with a "it's probably made up" but with "Well she was probably asking for it anyway" type of stuff.

And if that's the case then why are you so after me when I've never engaged in sexual abuse or exploited poor women?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 10:56:40 AM »

Such as?

If you're a mod, you can read his deleted posts, right? Also I think he defended Herman Cain during that whole thing, and not with a "it's probably made up" but with "Well she was probably asking for it anyway" type of stuff.

And if that's the case then why are you so after me when I've never engaged in sexual abuse or exploited poor women?

I don't think I'm "after you." But you're always going on about how awesome prostitution is and I find that rather disgusting.

Please provide specific examples if you have any. When it comes to Cain, do you mean that he posted something like this (?):

Maybe if an actual one would come out instead of a lying attention whore bought off by Romney's camp.

Because I'd be inclined to agree that seems a bit misogynistic, yes.

I'm not going to go through Clarence's posting history over this. It isn't that easy to do either. Besides, when it comes to cultural attitudes I have more sympathy for someone who comes from another generation. People who were brought up on sexism have more of an excuse than people who weren't.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2012, 11:10:18 AM »

Thank youall- very honored to be a part of this community

We are very honored to have you in our midst, Clarence!
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 03:19:56 PM »

I'm not going to go through Clarence's posting history over this. It isn't that easy to do either. Besides, when it comes to cultural attitudes I have more sympathy for someone who comes from another generation. People who were brought up on sexism have more of an excuse than people who weren't.

I think this is important to realize, and it's why I'm comfortable saying that I think contextually Clarence is actually a very admirably inquisitive and open-minded person. For his age it's really great how much he's willing to learn, even if that is considerably less than it could or should be for somebody of BRTD's generation or mine (I'm a bit younger than him, so I'm not sure if we'd be considered the same generation or not at this point). Of course that doesn't mean that the content of Clarence's posts, much of which genuinely is problematic to a greater or lesser degree, should be above criticism, but it means that Clarence as a person is, I think, worthy of our respect.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 03:30:42 PM »

I think this is important to realize, and it's why I'm comfortable saying that I think contextually Clarence is actually a very admirably inquisitive and open-minded person. For his age it's really great how much he's willing to learn, even if that is considerably less than it could or should be for somebody of BRTD's generation or mine (I'm a bit younger than him, so I'm not sure if we'd be considered the same generation or not at this point). Of course that doesn't mean that the content of Clarence's posts, much of which genuinely is problematic to a greater or lesser degree, should be above criticism, but it means that Clarence as a person is, I think, worthy of our respect.

I always distinguish between judging a system, ideology, time and so on (which I think is not only justified but a moral duty) and judging individuals within that system.

That's an old beef between me and BRTD though. He always supported shooting people who are wrong (unless they're cool, of course).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2012, 12:11:55 AM »

Such as?

I don't think I'm "after you." But you're always going on about how awesome prostitution is and I find that rather disgusting.

Thinking something should be legal is not the same as saying that it's "awesome".

Please provide specific examples if you have any. When it comes to Cain, do you mean that he posted something like this (?):

Maybe if an actual one would come out instead of a lying attention whore bought off by Romney's camp.

Because I'd be inclined to agree that seems a bit misogynistic, yes.

I can't post deleted posts. But the reason I didn't trust that woman was she was a right wing Tea Party activist, not "oh she's obviously some lying bitch" type of thing. I can't quote the things clarence was saying because they are now deleted, so they were obviously worse than that not deleted post.

I'm not going to go through Clarence's posting history over this. It isn't that easy to do either.

Well once again I can't quote deleted posts. But I'll note that many of his recent posts and pictures posted are certainly a bigger threat to the site's reputation and use as an educational resource than an uncensored use of the word "f**k". And obviously even if I could repost them I'd get death pointed as well so...

Besides, when it comes to cultural attitudes I have more sympathy for someone who comes from another generation. People who were brought up on sexism have more of an excuse than people who weren't.

Yay for moral relativism!

I doubt you'd be saying the same thing about Palestinians that hate Jews (and I wouldn't really disagree with you, since I differentiate between "Jews" and "Israel".)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2012, 02:32:46 AM »

1. No, I know it's not the same. Thinking it is legal is perfectly valid, whereas thinking it's awesome is pretty stupid. Surely, you're not pretending that you haven't expressed the latter on here?

2. So, I take it you have not a single example to back up your claim. Cool story, bro.

3. I'm not a moral relativist, which should be obvious from my last post, had you understood it. Having a higher level of understanding is not the same as tolerating anything either. Is this an act or are you really intellectually incapable of grasping nuances? You seem to think that I must either want to kill everyone who disagrees with me or be fine with all types of opinions. But that's not true.

But, yeah, I do think that someone who's family was killed by an Israeli drone attack doesn't automatically become a bad person because they say they hate Jews - they're obviously emotionally affected. When Lief says he supports killing civilian Jews, for example, he does not have any such excuse and that thus makes him a worse person. I wouldn't have thought this to be a very hard concept to understand.

That doesn't mean that I'm fine with or condone various views. I don't think it's ok to want to kill all Jews, regardless of your experience. Then again, I haven't seen anything out of Clarence that approaches that level. It's difficult for all of us to break out of the thought patterns we are taught when growing up and recognizing that forms the basis of tolerance.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 02:38:11 AM »

^^^

Nathan, as usual, says it better than I could. Clarence is an FF.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 10:48:37 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2012, 10:56:44 AM by blood red X's for every 24 hours ive suffered through »

There's also a difference between arguing that something is "awesome" and that not every person involved in it is some drug addict or exploited poor, I haven't gone to any of those massage parlors in quite awhile now for the record but at least one girl who did work at one is on my PSN buddy list, another one I met had a master's degree. Essentially just saying we shouldn't look at everything with a broad brush.

Once again, I can't post examples because I can't post deleted posts. He had one pretty blatantly racist one last night but now it too is gone. Let me just refer to something Al said awhile back though:

Sick creep who should be banned. Of course you lot haven't actually seen what I'm referring to, because offensive things get removed these days.

And by this logic, the anti-Catholic stuff I said that lots of people got on my back over should be somewhat excusable because a lot of it was due to social conditioning by the ex-Catholics in my family.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 02:31:40 PM »

And by this logic, the anti-Catholic stuff I said that lots of people got on my back over should be somewhat excusable because a lot of it was due to social conditioning by the ex-Catholics in my family.

Well...yes, I would say that's the case, though it still wasn't good in itself and it's still good that you stopped.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies