Congratulations, our on-site Romney supporters (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:02:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Congratulations, our on-site Romney supporters (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Congratulations, our on-site Romney supporters  (Read 6114 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: April 11, 2012, 12:06:37 AM »

I think that the feeling that the purpose of life is to maximize real or perceived evolutionary advantages is an immensely and tragically off-the-reservation way of looking at the world.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 12:44:26 AM »

I think that the feeling that the purpose of life is to maximize real or perceived evolutionary advantages is an immensely and tragically off-the-reservation way of looking at the world.

But you need to look at the big picture, to do otherwise is to believe you are separate from nature.

It's ascribing teleological thrust to evolution that I think is questionable. We obviously are not separate from nature but the mere scientific study of the life sciences doesn't provide much actual direction for us so for our teleology we must look elsewhere.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 01:26:13 PM »

I also think it's off-base to interpret homosexuality as a complex of sex acts only or primarily, despite the unfortunate construction of the word and of the phrase 'sexual orientation'. It also makes me wonder how the people making these sorts of arguments see their own (presumable) heterosexuality. Let's please not use the hydraulic model if we can avoid it.

Human being, like other animals, have a reproduction drive that is larger than a pleasure drive. The "nesting instinct" for instance is not pleasure-oriented. The reproductive drives of males lead them to prefer sex with younger females even though sex with the somewhat older females is apt to be technically better. Their reproductive drive leads them to prefer sex with ovulating women over those that are not, even if they don't see pregnancy as a desirable outcome. The feeling women have that "their biological clock is ticking" is about reproduction, not pleasure.

The reproductive drives of heterosexuals leads them to reproduce in large numbers. The same cannot be said of the reproductive drive of the average homosexual.

So what?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies