U.S. teen pregnancy rates at an all-time low across all ethnicities (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:23:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  U.S. teen pregnancy rates at an all-time low across all ethnicities (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: U.S. teen pregnancy rates at an all-time low across all ethnicities  (Read 4279 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: April 11, 2012, 01:27:25 PM »

Hmm, I prefer abstinence, but this is good news.

What? Abstinence is the worst thing you can do in life (Worse than murder).
What kind of professor are you?!

We decided that he was some kind of postmodernist, I think.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 03:06:53 PM »

We decided that he was some kind of postmodernist, I think.

Meaning that he's very much on the endangered species list these days.

Hence why we must conserve him, as a testament to the living history of the Academy.

I don't know whether modernism-as-commonly-done or postmodernism-as-commonly-done pisses me off more, but this man is an Atlas Forum treasure.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 12:41:33 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2012, 12:43:25 AM by Nathan »

It's interesting, isn't it, that postmodernism as an approach to a creative process still has a lot of life in it (and will probably never go away), but that as an approach to academic processes... it's a bit like shoulder pads, ill-advised electronic music and Margaret Thatcher, no?

Exactly. I don't really know what to call what's going on in most of academia at this point, except in many areas 'capitulation to neoliberalism', because I'm a discipline, Asian studies, that's always sort of marched to its own drumbeat so I'm doing more or less exactly the sort of stuff that, for example, Doris Bargen was doing twenty and thirty years ago, only with a slightly different kind of critical theory, but postmodernism seems to have kind of gone out with Jacques Derrida's natural lifespan if not somewhat before (I tend to think somewhat before, actually) in most of the fields with which I'm at all familiar.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies