what about 10?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:31:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  what about 10?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: what about 10?  (Read 1634 times)
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2012, 07:04:20 PM »

One day, the  1  are having a painting lesson(绘画课).Everyone (每人)begins to draw a picture, 2  Tom doesn’t .When the bell rings(铃响)for the break, Tom gives his picture 3  the teacher. The teacher  4  a look at it and becomes angry(生气).“Why do you give me a picture with nothing(没有东西)on, Tom?” asks the teacher. “I’m  5  ,sir. I draw a cat and a fish  6  it .”says Tom.

“Then  7  is the cat and where is the fish?”asks the teacher  8 .“I draw a fish first.When I finish drawing(画完)the cat, it  9  the fish. When I give 10  to you ,the cat runs away.” says Tom.

1 A teachers  B students C doctors

2 A and  B but C after

3 A to B at C in

4 A watches B looks C has

5 A excuse  B sorry  C late

6 A to  B on  C at

7 A what  B who C where

8 A past B to C again

9 A eats  B gives  C takes

10 A it  B they  C them

CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 07:06:08 PM »

What about you do your own God damned homework and stop clogging up this board with your cheating...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 07:07:17 PM »

What about you do your own God damned homework and stop clogging up this board with your cheating...

v is a teacher in China, Clarence......calm down

A is the answer, I think
v0031
China
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 07:13:53 PM »

Does it mean the whole picture?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 07:27:29 PM »

How in the world is this his best resource for this stuff?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 04:44:46 PM »

If you want to sound like a native, you need to change all the verb tenses. It should be "One day the students were having a painting lesson. Everyone began to draw a picture...
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 05:19:44 PM »

If you want to sound like a native, you need to change all the verb tenses. It should be "One day the students were having a painting lesson. Everyone began to draw a picture...

I noticed the same thing. This is something I've noticed with my Chinese colleagues; their English tends to avoid the past tense saying "I draw the cat" instead of "I drew the cat". The first phrase would only apply during the act of drawing before its completion.

The story is one I've read in English before, and it seems like this version has been translated from Chinese into English by a Chinese speaker. As for the question, I would write the sentence with 10 as "When I gave it to you, the cat ran away."
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 11:57:34 PM »

I noticed the same thing. This is something I've noticed with my Chinese colleagues; their English tends to avoid the past tense saying "I draw the cat" instead of "I drew the cat". The first phrase would only apply during the act of drawing before its completion.

If you want to nitpick, while you're drawing the cat, you would say "I'm drawing the cat." You would only use the plain "I draw the cat" if you're talking about something you do regularly. I draw the cat every Thursday.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 12:08:35 AM »

This is the off-topic board.
v0031
China
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 07:39:23 AM »

I am glad to see all kinds of replies here. Thank you.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 10:48:30 AM »

Wow what a big man you are.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 02:04:03 PM »

The story is one I've read in English before, and it seems like this version has been translated from Chinese into English by a Chinese speaker. As for the question, I would write the sentence with 10 as "When I gave it to you, the cat ran away."

I would assume this is a lesson for a lower-level class where they haven't learned conjugation for anything besides the present tense, so the language in the passage is simplified so students aren't faced with too much that they haven't learned yet. I've seen similar things in foreign language classes I've taken.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 04:24:45 PM »

I love you (no homo), clarence.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 06:58:45 PM »

I would assume this is a lesson for a lower-level class where they haven't learned conjugation for anything besides the present tense, so the language in the passage is simplified so students aren't faced with too much that they haven't learned yet. I've seen similar things in foreign language classes I've taken.

That's possible, but not consistent with my experience. Use of simple present tense instead of past, is something that I hear most frequently with native Chinese speakers. I don't hear that type of change much with native speakers of other European languages, even if their English is weak. I've assumed that it's something intrinsic to the structure of Chinese.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 07:53:17 PM »

Likewise how the cat eats the fish, rather than ate it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies