Clinton vs. Cheney 1996 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:57:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Clinton vs. Cheney 1996 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton vs. Cheney 1996  (Read 6285 times)
GLPman
United States

« on: April 11, 2012, 08:45:28 PM »

Following his departure as H.W. Bush's Secretary of Defense, Cheney briefly flirted with the idea of running for president in '93-'94. What if Cheney had decided to throw his hat in the ring and ultimately won the GOP nod. How would the election turn out? Any ideas who Cheney would have selected as his running mate?
GLPman
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 08:53:37 PM »

One of the reasons Cheney didin't want to run, according to Bob Woodward, was that a member of his family was gay and he didn't want some huge media expose. As I recall, that family member was actually his daughter. Anyway, I'm wondering how that might affect the election and how Cheney would explain his views on gay rights and the reaction from the Religious Right (Cheney supports gay rights, on marriage at least).

Actually, Cheney didn't really become vocal about his support of gay rights until early 2009. Prior to that, he stated he was against gay marriage and thought it was a state's rights issue. Granted, this position is not nearly as conservative as many members of his party, but it's still not a full endorsement of gay rights.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 03:34:20 PM »

One of the reasons Cheney didin't want to run, according to Bob Woodward, was that a member of his family was gay and he didn't want some huge media expose. As I recall, that family member was actually his daughter. Anyway, I'm wondering how that might affect the election and how Cheney would explain his views on gay rights and the reaction from the Religious Right (Cheney supports gay rights, on marriage at least).

Actually, Cheney didn't really become vocal about his support of gay rights until early 2009. Prior to that, he stated he was against gay marriage and thought it was a state's rights issue. Granted, this position is not nearly as conservative as many members of his party, but it's still not a full endorsement of gay rights.

Well in '09, Cheney was no longer involved in electoral politics either. Wink

Exactly my point -- any political opinions on the subject expressed by Cheney during his time as VP would most likely reflect those he would've expressed if he had mounted a run for the presidency in '96.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 05:47:09 PM »

Yeah, this is probably what I would've guessed, too. Clinton wins with 340 to Cheney's 198. Any guess as to who Cheney's running mate would've been?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies