NC and FL in election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:45:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  NC and FL in election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NC and FL in election  (Read 1229 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: April 12, 2012, 07:32:19 PM »

It is not likely there was a candidate with a higher level of seriousness running this time around.

The good thing is that they are all finished, politically.

As for the North Carolina, the answer is so many Yankees like myself have moved here expecting to find greener pastures (though in my case it turned out to be just as bad). Most of these are either liberals or people familiar with a less "Southern" GOP and thus they find a much more pleasant membership in the Democratic party.

There is also the presence of a large number of Universities, taking in good ole' country boys and turning out cosmopolitan yuppies.

Even one of the GOP legislative leaders conceeded that in a few years the Marriage Amendment will likely be repealed by the voters, should it pass in May.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 05:16:13 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

By the erstwhile tradition of the GOP - Romney is doomed. Santorum did just fine for his first run out winning 10 states off Romney the 'inevitable'.

Or do you forget that's why it was Romney's turn this time? Wink

Why would conservatives want to go for someone like Rick Santorum over someone like Marco Rubio, Bob McDonnell or any of the other stronger conservative candidates who are up and coming or didn't run this time? Santorum is not a good candidate at all. He can't stay on message and he lacks discipline. His debating style is one of the reasons he didn't break out sooner, because people saw someone who looked like he was constantly pissed off. He makes gaffes and then doubles down on it and then blames the media if it costs him in the end. That doesn't work. I think the Republicans will be looking for a fresh start in 2016, preferring to just wash their hands of this horrible cycle and all of its lame candidates, especially if Obama gets reelected.

Santorum at best will end up in 2016, like John Edwards running in 2008, at worst like John Kerry's abortive 2008 effort and/or Dan Quayle's attempts.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 06:48:12 PM »

Rick Santorum showed that he was capable of successfully leading a competitive national campaign. That's more than any of the conservatives that were up for the nomination in this go demonstrated, and something that was a knock on him prior to entering the primary.

He's going to be the standard bearer due to age, and has cut his chops with a presidential campaign (and quite successful one by republican standards) after Romney gets destroyed in the general. 

Nonsense. He's done very well.

John Edwards didn't win 10 states. No republican nominee has ever won that many and not gone on to be the nominee in a subsequent election. Like it or not, Santorum's earned his spot. Since all you moderates insist that it's Romney's turn, it's going to be Santorum's turn in 2016.

And rightfully so.

Against Romney, another weak candidate, no? And that is only because all the other Anti-Romney's imploded. He is done.

I am not a moderate.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 06:54:15 PM »

The social wing that Santorum champions will be even weaker in 2016. Four more years of social progressive shifts will make him even more of an extremist than he was in this cycle. I'm sure whatever is left of the base in 2016 will still love him, but there will probably be a repeat of 2012 where you have several conservative candidates that will selfishly split the vote and allow a moderate to get it. Plus, there are a lot of really strong moderate Republicans (Christie, Jindal, Rubio, Daniels) that will or may be running in 2016, which will more than likely suck any remaining oxygen out of the mix for Santorum.

Jindal and Rubio are moderates, now? If they are moderates in this crazy world then I change my mind, I am one too. Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies