Does Romney think that America is full of rich people? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:28:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Does Romney think that America is full of rich people? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does Romney think that America is full of rich people?  (Read 8526 times)
retromike22
United States

« on: April 13, 2012, 02:59:23 PM »

One thing I cannot stand about Romney, is when asked by a working class American about how they are struggling in life, his response is always in the frame of "I'm not going to do anything for you."

Like this:

http://thinkprogress.org/education/2012/03/05/437833/romney-to-college-student-if-you-want-affordable-college-shop-around-or-join-the-military/

"ROMNEY: The legislature in my state came together and said, ‘You know what, anyone that’s willing to serve in the National Guard, we’ll provide for tuition and fees for four years of college to make sure you get that start.’ So if you’re willing to serve, then we can be of more help. But my best advice is find a great institution of higher learning, find one that has the right price, and shop around. In America, this idea of competition, it works! [...] I want to make sure that every kid in this country that wants to go to college gets the chance to go to college. If you can’t afford it, scholarships are available, shop around for loans, make sure you go to a place that’s reasonably priced, and if you can, think about serving the country ’cause that’s a way to get all that education for free."

Well.... that's how it is now. He's only mentioning extreme or undesirable options for students that already exist. I can understand that because he's a conservative he does want the government to take an active role, but he could at least come up with a conservative private market solution that will change the current situation, because its not an ideal situation.

I can't think of one... I bet Gingrich could think of one lol.

Either way, Romney needs to remember that there are a lot of working class voters, including former Santorum voters, who don't like to be told "You're on your own."
retromike22
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 06:20:10 PM »

Stop fighting kids. What I originally intended my post to mean, was that Romney is sounding too harsh in his non-use of government to solve problems. He's sounding more like an anarchist than a conservative.

I would rather hear "I'm from the government and I'm here to help" than "You're on your own." simply because as a member of the working class, it feels like we've been on our own for a while and could use some help.

For example, my health insurance was going to run out when I turned 25, but I got it for an additional year under my parents because of Obamacare.

So if Obama is providing further assistance to make my life easier, and Romney is promising to do nothing for me, why should I vote for Romney? Because I live in paranoid fear that maybe, possibly, the smallest government assistance will lead to a future fascist or communist state? I don't think so. There aren't only two choices: 1, Of individual freedom but no government help, and 2, a centralized economy with no personal freedom.

It is possible, and normal, to have individual freedom and government assistance. You're forgetting the possibility of the welfare state, where personal freedom exists along with government assistance to make live easier. Welfare states such as Sweden are not suffering under the tyranny of their governments. They aren't marching toward fascism or communism.

When conservatives talk about "freedom" they are confusing the freedom of expression with the freedom of anarchy. People do want the freedom to choose their profession, to live where they want, and do express themselves freely without government intervention. But people do not want the freedom from a minimum wage so that they have less money, the freedom from food safety laws so that their food may be unclean, or the freedom from police and firefighters so that they can live in constantly dangerous world.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies