Hilary Rosen's Ann Romney Comment (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:47:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Hilary Rosen's Ann Romney Comment (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hilary Rosen's Ann Romney Comment  (Read 11664 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« on: April 13, 2012, 11:37:40 PM »

I don't.

I am outraged by Rosen's comments, because I am a Republican and she offended the people we needed her to offend.

Outraged, I say!

Wink
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 12:14:58 PM »

I joked that I was mostly offended because it was a useful gaffe for our side. But I do want to say, I don't think this gaffe is as much of a non-issue as Democrats want to say it is.

They key electorate this cycle is women. And Hilary's comments will piss off a lot of women. It will certainly piss off the moms of higher-income families--Rosen's comments were a direct assault on their lifestyles. I'd say there'd be a fair middle-class population of stay-at-home moms too--a group that Obama desperately needs. And even poorer mothers who do work could take some issue with this, just out of feeling rubbed the wrong way.

The comments could be made to symbolize the group that Democrats would leave out in the dust come a second term.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 12:24:21 PM »

But as one of the premier ambassadors for Democrats in the media, it's pretty significant.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 09:30:30 PM »

We'll see.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 04:03:32 PM »

Except are Mitt's comments spreading as much as Rosen's did? I've had to be away from the TV for the weekend so I haven't been able to see. It seemed like Hilary's comments spread really fast. Have these unearthed Mitt comments done the same?

Because like it or not, Hilary's made for a much more sensational soundbite. And that's really what this is all about.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 02:36:20 PM »

And let's call this what it is: Santorum's War on Women.

Romney had no choice but to involve himself, which is a damn shame. This war on women was 100% Santorum's fault.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 03:58:31 PM »

She's one of the premier ambassadors for Democrats in the media.

You should care because she snubbed a huge demographic of people.

As for me saying Romney had no choice but to turn right on this women's issue--I still stand by what I said. Romney had to win a primary dominated by the religious right. If you have a losing candidate spouting red meat every which way to these people, you sort of have to engage. I blame Santorum.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 04:56:04 PM »

Yeah, but when Democrats calls lesbians "dykes," it's okay because at least they vote for more "open minded" candidates.

What a joke.

I don't at all support the original comment. But I think it's pretty inaccurate to associate what he said with all conservatives.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 06:19:37 PM »

Conservatives aren't the only people who throw around terms like "dyke" and "f****t." So it's unfair to say "it's no wonder conservatives get labelled so badly."

There's just as much bigotry amongst Democrat voters, but no one attributes those comments to the Democrats, because their candidates are supposedly more "pro-gay." But for many of the people who vote Democrat, the candidates' positions on gay rights don't matter... voters on both sides still call people dykes and f****ts.

So I don't like when people try to associate bigotry with one political ideology. If we're being honest, it should  be associated with everyone.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 12:57:18 PM »

Conservatives aren't the only people who throw around terms like "dyke" and "f****t." So it's unfair to say "it's no wonder conservatives get labelled so badly."

yo, "dyke" is a common word among dykes....example:  Pat Benatar perfoms her concerts with a "Dykes Rule" sticker on her guitar

The N word is a common word amongst African-Americans. I dare you to go into a Golden Corral and shout "Hey there, n-ggers!" at the top of your lungs. It should be okay because it's "a common word."

For the most part, I'm not in any way pro-gay. But it does no good to throw around demeaning and offensive terms--whether you're a Democrat OR a Republican.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 06:21:09 PM »

(I understand there's a difference between the N word and calling someone a dyke. But both are offensive and using the excuse that "they call themselves that" is a real cop-out, especially when everyone knows the original comment was meant to be offensive in the first place.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies