Hilary Rosen's Ann Romney Comment (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:48:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Hilary Rosen's Ann Romney Comment (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hilary Rosen's Ann Romney Comment  (Read 11667 times)
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« on: April 15, 2012, 09:55:38 AM »

If living a similar lifestyle is considered necessary for relating to voters, would any politician's wife meet that test? Ann Romney doesn't, but neither does Michelle Obama (being a 'working mom' when you're a white shoe lawyer and a healthcare executive is a bit different). Cindy McCain the brewery heiress didn't. Ironically, I'd say the most relatable candidate spouse we've recently had is probably Todd Palin. Which in turn begs the question of whether that's really an important criteria in picking a candidate.

What is odd about Ann Romney is that she has literally never had a non-domestic paying job before. She was a full-time student when she married at 19, and she had her first child not long after that. Even in the June Cleaver days, most women would have some kind of job in their early 20s before they got married, or sometimes up until they had kids. (My grandmother was a secretary up until she had her first kid. My grandfather was an accountant at the same company - they drove to work together every morning.)

When did:
1) (making a great choice) marrying well.
2) building a great family the traditional way (countless great choices)
3) making it on your own   
4) achieving the 'american dream'
5) struggling through cancer and MS inspirationaly
become a dis-qualifier to speak or be listened to? 

Democrat culture war fail.   

AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 01:06:39 PM »

When did:
1) (making a great choice) marrying well.

3) making it on your own  
LOL wut? I'm amused to see that conservatives consider becoming the trophy wife of a millionaire to be "making it on your own".

People talking about how being a stay at home mum is a real job... well I'd firstly be curious to know how much use the Romney's made use of maids and other hired help for the housework. Of course raising children is taxing in and of itself, but Ann Romney chose that option because she preferred it- theirs no shortage of women can't make that choice because they don't have a wealthy husband(or any husband at all).... and then theirs those mothers/couples that can't even find a job at all(whilst Ann Romney enjoyed the certainty that she would be able to secure a job if she ever wanted one).

Hilary Rosen should have phrased it better. She should have said Ann couldn't understand most women's situation because she's never needed a job... even if she had taken one it would have been a luxury preference since her income would be statistically insignificant compared to her husband's and therefore not impacted her standard of living one way or the other.

She's basically equivalent to a trust fund millionare in other words. Sure they might opt for a job or children, but the job will be out of preference rather then financial pressure, and children won't mean a financial pressure for them.

She didn't marry a millionaire.  She married a guy from a good family.  That you think Mitt has been rich his entire life is a little stunning, but not surprising I guess.  Remember at that time it was normal for 'rich' parents to raise kids to maturity and let them: 'go out on their own.'  Mitt was married raising kids while going to college... I'm sure that was a life of luxury.  I've herd stories about how their parents would visit their cheap concrete floor apartment, take them out to dinner, and make fun of them for living like that.  I thought it was common knowledge Mitt donated everything he inherited from his dad. 

I don't think it is wise for a large part of society to denigrate or cheapen someone because their PARENTS were successful.  Like that's a bad thing.  Likewise, glorifying people for having any type of 'bad' parents isn't the best thing either.       
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 01:50:34 PM »

1) a "Trophy wife" is typically approaching half the guys age, not his high school sweetheart.
2) a trophy wife typically marries the guy when he actually has money, not a decade before. 
etc. etc.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 02:03:33 PM »

A paid employee of the Democrats project to manufacture a nonexistent GOP "war on women."  That is actually what makes this a news story.  The perpetrators of a gigantic slander are actually guilty of said slander.  Had they not manufactured and pumped up the issue for two months it wouldn't matter so much.  Oops! 

People forget that these tactics employed by this generation of democrats sometimes, perhaps often, blowup in your face and create a backlash.       
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 02:29:05 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2012, 08:03:28 PM by AmericanNation »

Yes, I had seen her on TV pushing democrat talking points before.

Also,
I had heard of the PR firm she works for.  I had heard of the democrat party before (they employ the firm she works for).  I had heard of the Obama administration before (she has lobbying privileges).  I had heard the "war on women" crap being manufactured by all of her bosses for months prior to her comments.

I think she was honest when she called the fake manufactured "war on women" PR campaign a "Phony War".  She would know because she was employed by the entities manufacturing it to manufacture it.  

Quotation: "Let's declare peace in this phony war and go back to focus on the substance."
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 02:33:11 PM »

A paid employee of the Democrats project to manufacture a nonexistent GOP "war on women."        

CNN=Democrats? Who knew?

I don't think CNN paid her much or anything... her other jobs are paying though.  Nice try. 
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 03:06:52 PM »

1) Has Ann Romney been touring the country for the last several years talking to women about their struggles and how the economy is effecting them? ? ?... Yes
2) Is she capable of relaying their messages to Mitt? ? ?... Yes
3) Did the democrats try to 'take out' Ann because they knew she would play a role in tightening the 'gender gap' ? ? ?... yes
4) Did the 'hit' backfire? ? ? ...yes
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies