Majority-Minority States (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:11:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Majority-Minority States (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Majority-Minority States  (Read 8889 times)
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« on: April 15, 2012, 11:23:37 PM »

Nevada looks like a good candidate, although we will have to see what the effects of the recession do to racial changes. It's inevitable that it becomes minority-majority, but when is the question.

Maryland also looks like it will become minority-majority very soon. And I think that there is a stronger pull for immigrants currently, so it might happen before Nevada.

Arizona and Florida both get tons of White migrants from other parts of the country, but everything is slowing down now. Still the youth population makes it inevitable here too.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in some states like Mississippi. It looks like it will be minority-majority in two decades. Will that change voting patterns down there?
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 01:30:38 AM »

As Hispanics integrate, they will be lumped more into the existing racial categories. I'm Cuban, but look indistinguishable from an Italian or Greek person. Plus, like immigration from Ireland, Italy, Germany, etc, immigration from Latin America will eventually slow, and may be doing so already.

I think this is a good point and may be one of the reasons that Hispanic/Latino is not actually considered a race but an ethnicity.  I think that Hispanic Americans are likely to begin assimilating into the culture in the same way earlier waves of European immigrants were able to.  Many people who identify as being Hispanic have virtually no outward physical characteristics to distinguish them as being such.

While I believe that Hispanics will integrate more and already have, the source of immigration - Mexico - means that many of these immigrants have disconnected from their original homeland. Also looking at Hispanics in places like New Mexico there is still a sense of "otherness." Because of their skin color, Hispanics still are treated as "others" rather than "Whites," and likely will remain that way for longer than other immigrant groups.

What's more likely to change voting patterns in my opinion is the increasing wealth of Hispanics so that they are more moderate voters like Asian-Americans.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies