Which Austrian state would you prefer to live in ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:43:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which Austrian state would you prefer to live in ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Out of the 9:
Burgenland

Carinthia/Kärnten

Lower Austria/Niederösterreich

Upper Austria/Oberösterreich

Salzburg

Styria/Steiermark

Tyrol/Tirol

Vorarlberg

Vienna/Wien

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Which Austrian state would you prefer to live in ?  (Read 2939 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 15, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/States_of_Austria#Geography
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 08:39:57 AM »

Bavaria.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 08:41:39 AM »

Burgenland
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 08:46:23 AM »

Voralberg
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 09:28:48 AM »

Vorarlberg because it's almost Switzerland.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 09:49:57 AM »

Vienna
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 09:56:27 AM »

Smiley

Tyrol for me. Voralberg would be fine as well.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 09:57:04 AM »

Which is the most Protestant?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 10:00:43 AM »

Only 4% protestants in Austria so it doesnt really matter. There is no place with a high share of Lutherans.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 10:04:02 AM »

Burgenland has about 13% Protestants, which is the highest among all states.

Carinthia is next with about 11%.

http://www.statistik.at/web_de/statistiken/bevoelkerung/volkszaehlungen_registerzaehlungen/bevoelkerung_nach_demographischen_merkmalen/022885.html
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 10:18:39 AM »

Although to be fair, I guess....I've only been to 7 of these. Maybe I've missed something important Smiley
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 10:26:29 AM »

Although to be fair, I guess....I've only been to 7 of these. Maybe I've missed something important Smiley

I've never been to Vorarlberg for some reason. Have been in the other 8 states though.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 10:28:06 AM »

I've never been to Vorarlberg for some reason. Have been in the other 8 states though.

I'm missing Kärnten and Steiermark.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 12:31:13 PM »

Only 4% protestants in Austria so it doesnt really matter. There is no place with a high share of Lutherans.

Well the US has a lower percentage of Jews but that doesn't mean there aren't any areas with a high Jewish concentration. Also I think Austria would have a higher percentage of Lutherans than the US too. Unfortunately neither state Tender mentioned looks too appealing. Tongue
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 12:57:25 PM »

Well the US has a lower percentage of Jews but that doesn't mean there aren't any areas with a high Jewish concentration. Also I think Austria would have a higher percentage of Lutherans than the US too. Unfortunately neither state Tender mentioned looks too appealing. Tongue

Why would you base your decision about where to live on how many Evangelicals there are in a certain state ?

It's not like Austrians Protestants are nearly as fundie as their US counterparts ...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 01:00:34 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2012, 01:04:42 PM by blood red X's for every 24 hours ive suffered through »

Why would you base your decision about where to live on how many Evangelicals there are in a certain state ?

It's not like Austrians Protestants are nearly as fundie as their US counterparts ...

Well yes, which is a good thing of course. Everyone knows I like Lutherans*, and am not so fond the Southern Baptists or Catholic Church.

But of course, if hipster Christians exist anywhere in Austria, it'd be Vienna.

*Well not all in the US of course, since you also have a few fundie ones like Michele Bachmann, but as you noted they are far less common in Austria.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 01:23:45 PM »

How do you define hipster Christians ? Because there are almost no practising Christians anymore in Austria between the ages of 15 and 40, only Christians on paper.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 01:28:19 PM »

Hmm...that's tough. I can come up with a good reason to live in a couple. Salzburg seems like the ideal balance, all things considered. I need to have access to a major city or I'll go crazy, but there's also the mountains and countryside. I do love Vienna though...and Innsbruck.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 01:29:01 PM »

How do you define hipster Christians ? Because there are almost no practising Christians anymore in Austria between the ages of 15 and 40, only Christians on paper.

Well that means being Christian is not mainstream....but as I said if there are any, they'd be in Vienna. I'm not sure if there are any hipster churches outside the US, Canada and Australia, hence why I've been joking with oakvale in IRC that if he moves to Canada I'm going to visit and convert him.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 01:32:50 PM »

Hmm...that's tough. I can come up with a good reason to live in a couple. Salzburg seems like the ideal balance, all things considered. I need to have access to a major city or I'll go crazy, but there's also the mountains and countryside. I do love Vienna though...and Innsbruck.

Yeah, you can go to Munich and Vienna in a few hours and to the mountains/countryside in ... half an hour. And you can go to Linz/Innsbruck and Graz within a few hours as well.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 01:35:15 PM »

Oh and what's the strongest state for the Freedom Party? Definitely want to avoid that one.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 01:36:58 PM »

Well that means being Christian is not mainstream....but as I said if there are any, they'd be in Vienna. I'm not sure if there are any hipster churches outside the US, Canada and Australia, hence why I've been joking with oakvale in IRC that if he moves to Canada I'm going to visit and convert him.

Do you mean activist Christians as hipster ? Like those people similar to BushieOK that are flying to Kenya or other African countries to build houses or adopt children from there because they think they can make the world better because of this ? Yeah, you will probably find a very small amount of these people in Vienna or other bigger cities, whereas you go into some random church in rural Austria and 95% of the people who are in there are 60 or older, with the other 5% being underage altar boys/girls, kneeling to the feet of the priest.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 01:38:50 PM »

Oh and what's the strongest state for the Freedom Party? Definitely want to avoid that one.

That would be Vienna.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 01:45:33 PM »

Do you mean activist Christians as hipster ? Like those people similar to BushieOK that are flying to Kenya or other African countries to build houses or adopt children from there because they think they can make the world better because of this ? Yeah, you will probably find a very small amount of these people in Vienna or other bigger cities, whereas you go into some random church in rural Austria and 95% of the people who are in there are 60 or older, with the other 5% being underage altar boys/girls, kneeling to the feet of the priest.

LOL no Bushie is not a hipster, he's just a Southern Baptist going to some standard fire and brimstone fundie church. Though my church did send some people to China last month to help organize illegal house churches and a lot of other hipster churches do stuff like that, yes. This site sums it up well, and the closest thing to a hipster Christian magazine that exists would be Relevant Magazine. So basically making Christianity modern and relevant, not like the type of thing you just described in a rural Catholic church. Like the church I went to this morning has services that have more resemblence to those indie rock shows I go to than a Catholic Mass.

That would be Vienna.

Sad Bleh, one thing I don't like about Europe is that the inner cities do often have bad politics, unlike North America where there's usually a direct correlation between how good a place votes and how otherwise desirable it is to live in.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 01:54:52 PM »

Hipster Christians are trying to make church "cool".
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies