Make an Obama/Romney trend map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:40:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Make an Obama/Romney trend map
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Make an Obama/Romney trend map  (Read 3067 times)
Nichlemn

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 05, 2012, 09:11:33 PM »
« edited: April 05, 2012, 09:17:13 PM by Nichlemn »

Quick attempt by me, mostly an agglomeration of Romney's primary results, home state effects, the theory that previous large swings would regress to the mean and some polling.

MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 09:24:55 PM »

Pink is trending Romney, and Blue is trending Obama? Or the other way?
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 09:26:36 PM »

Looking at the map it's the other way round I'd imagine.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 09:30:59 PM »

I guess Oklahoma and some of the south states trend DEM because Romney isn't conservative enough?
Nichlemn

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 09:37:31 PM »

I guess Oklahoma and some of the south states trend DEM because Romney isn't conservative enough?

Because he's a Massachusetts country club Mormon who is squishy on social issues, whereas McCain had his military bona fides. It's not Republicans voting for Obama in droves, it's lower turnout plus some swingy white Democrats returning to voting Democratic for President.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 09:44:15 PM »

Quick attempt by me, mostly an agglomeration of Romney's primary results, home state effects, the theory that previous large swings would regress to the mean and some polling.

My map is rather similar, though I'd say that the Dakotas would trend R (North Dakota just had an oil boom and is growing quickly), as would New Mexico. Connecticut, Idaho, Wyoming, and Utah would trend more R. That would be offset by, say, Pennsylvania and Maine trending D.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 10:13:51 PM »

Despite what some polls currently say, I think it'll be pretty close on Election Day. I'm actually starting to really think Obama could win the popular vote but lose the electoral vote.

30% is about a 1-3% shift, not too much. 40% is a 4-7% shift, and 60% is 7%+. There's probably a couple mistakes, I just didn't catch them.
Nichlemn

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 10:28:37 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2012, 11:00:53 PM by Nichlemn »

Despite what some polls currently say, I think it'll be pretty close on Election Day. I'm actually starting to really think Obama could win the popular vote but lose the electoral vote.

30% is about a 1-3% shift, not too much. 40% is a 4-7% shift, and 60% is 7%+. There's probably a couple mistakes, I just didn't catch them.

Note that I'm looking for a trend (swing relative to the national vote) map, not a swing map. All trends need to cancel each other out, and that doesn't seem possible with only nine states trending Obama.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 10:37:21 PM »

Note that this is a trend (swing relative to the national vote) map, not a swing map. All trends need to cancel each other out, and that doesn't seem possible with only nine states trending Obama.
You're correct. Just pretend it's a swing map, then. Wink
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 10:41:09 PM »

A robot can do swing maps from a national baseline. Humans need to do trend maps.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 11:03:34 PM »

Here's mine.

My reasoning is similar to Nichlemn, but I think the Plains states have an anti-incumbency bias, and some of Obama's "home-region" advantage from 2008 wears off. Florida is a wild-card, but I have a suspicion that Obama under-performed there in 2008. O/c, if Romney picks Rubio then all bets are off.
JerryBrown2010
KyleGordon2016
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.68, S: -9.30

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 11:39:05 PM »

Uselectionatlas Poll Map + Obama Vs Romney RCP Avarege = Trend Map

Obama +4.1%

This map shows that Obama is actually polling a point or so higher then 4.1% above Romney.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 10:39:18 AM »

So all that really matters is this:

Because any Romney trends won't go far enough to flip PA, IA, etc., only NH (and of course IN/NC/FL).  If the Dem trend continues in CO/VA/OH then all is well.

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 01:08:51 PM »

Because any Romney trends won't go far enough to flip PA, IA, etc., only NH (and of course IN/NC/FL).  If the Dem trend continues in CO/VA/OH then all is well.

I think CO/VA could go either way on a trend map, at this point. Too many rich people.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 02:19:55 PM »

It should look something like that.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 02:00:27 PM »

I think CO/VA could go either way on a trend map, at this point. Too many rich people.

Really?  Well obviously there's very little room for Obama to survive if either of those trends away from him - particularly Colorado - but happily there's little indication of that so far.
Nichlemn

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 06:00:17 PM »

Really?  Well obviously there's very little room for Obama to survive if either of those trends away from him - particularly Colorado - but happily there's little indication of that so far.

The swing is the main factor in who wins though. If Obama wins or loses by 10, all those states could trend towards or away from him respectively, but it wouldn't matter.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 01:14:24 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2012, 01:17:00 AM by morgieb »

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 01:40:58 AM »

Because any Romney trends won't go far enough to flip PA, IA, etc., only NH (and of course IN/NC/FL).  If the Dem trend continues in CO/VA/OH then all is well.

Really?  Well obviously there's very little room for Obama to survive if either of those trends away from him - particularly Colorado - but happily there's little indication of that so far.
I'm not saying they will, it would be more of a toss-up which way they will trend. But Ohio will trend to Obama, and if Colorado trends to Romney it won't be by more than 1% against national average, and Nevada is out of reach. I'd say Obama is fairly safe unless he loses big(>1%) in the popular vote.

This is actually possible. If Ohio trends over 2% to Obama and Colorado trends 1% to Romney(not completely unrealistic).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies