How would you have treated confederate leaders?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:41:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  How would you have treated confederate leaders?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: How would you have treated confederate leaders?  (Read 29809 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2007, 06:34:47 AM »

Different historians have different ideas about what caused the Civil War, and the consensus among historians has shifted over the years.

Consensus amongst historians? An interesting theory, but, frankly, the idea that there are faeries at the bottom of my garden is more believable.
gorkay

« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2007, 08:18:12 AM »

Different historians have different ideas about what caused the Civil War, and the consensus among historians has shifted over the years.
Consensus amongst historians? An interesting theory, but, frankly, the idea that there are faeries at the bottom of my garden is more believable.

I meant "consensus" only in the most relative sense. A consensus among historians is not the same as a consensus among most other groups. Maybe what I should have said was that in recent years, the prevailing opinions about the Civil War have changed. But they are likely to change again, and again, in subsequent years.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2011, 12:02:21 AM »
« Edited: November 14, 2011, 12:09:09 AM by A Piece of Ass »

It's so fun to see that the talk of the post Civil War era gets so many people so excited and thrilled about abandoning human decency and engage in fantasies of barbarity that involves the killings of dozens, if not hundreds, of people all in the name of American Nationalism.

So fun.

As for how I would've treated the leaders?  A surrender would've been enough to satisfy my ego so I guess I would've just let things be.  I know that sounds crazy to some folks, but forgiveness has always made me feel better than policies of retribution.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2011, 12:17:48 AM »

Pardon with a ban on ever holding elected office again.
Mikestone8
Rookie
« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2011, 04:54:43 AM »

Pardon with a ban on ever holding elected office again.

What's the point of the ban?

Is  anything much changed if, say, Alexander H Stephens' seat in Congress is held instead by some more obscure figure, not a leading Confederate but holding essentially the same views as Stephens?
Rooney
United States

« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2011, 03:42:38 PM »

I would have followed the plan Lincoln outlined in his Final Speech and was willing to extend to Louisiana and Tennessee.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2011, 01:52:30 AM »

It's so fun to see that the talk of the post Civil War era gets so many people so excited and thrilled about abandoning human decency and engage in fantasies of barbarity that involves the killings of dozens, if not hundreds, of people all in the name of American Nationalism.

So fun.
Helenae
United States

« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2011, 10:55:20 PM »

I would have followed the plan Lincoln outlined in his Final Speech and was willing to extend to Louisiana and Tennessee.

I totally agree with you. If America had followed through with Lincoln's ideas after his assassination, then there wouldn't have been so much resentment and the birth of the KKK.

Also a lot of people in the civil war in the south were not just solely fighting for the right for slavery. Some, like Lee, were fighting because it was their home. Though, if you read the constitution of the Confederates... it kinda points out it was over slavery. But it doesn't mean the leaders were evil, they simply loved their states.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2011, 04:24:57 PM »

The last thing the United States needed was more bloodshed. Pretty much freeing those who surrendered and pledged loyalty and imprisoning those who did not. I see no purpose of executing any of the confederate leaders other than appeasing radical mob.

Also, Lincoln's death was a tragedy, since Andrew Johnson and Radical Republicans were handling reconstruction in opposite, yet equally poor, fashions.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2011, 09:35:55 PM »

If Lincoln not been assassinated, Reconstruction would likely have been less harsh on the Confederate leaders, I think it is also possible that it could have also led to a protracted guerrilla war in the South.  Lincoln's assassination ended any speculation that a guerrilla war might cause the North to give up trying to subdue the South.  While there was some bloodshed associated with those seeking to end Reconstruction, that bloodshed was about trying to regain power within each State, and not about also trying to gain independence for their States.
Mikestone8
Rookie
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2011, 04:48:01 AM »

If Lincoln not been assassinated, Reconstruction would likely have been less harsh on the Confederate leaders, I think it is also possible that it could have also led to a protracted guerrilla war in the South.  Lincoln's assassination ended any speculation that a guerrilla war might cause the North to give up trying to subdue the South.  While there was some bloodshed associated with those seeking to end Reconstruction, that bloodshed was about trying to regain power within each State, and not about also trying to gain independence for their States.

Guerilla warfare was already off the agenda. Lee had rejected it, and so had Johnston by opening talks with Sherman - already under way when Lincoln was shot.

The only danger of it was if the North had attempted some of the more vindictive things suggested on this thread. Thankfully, they had more sense.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2011, 05:12:18 PM »

Guerrilla warfare was already off the agenda. Lee had rejected it, and so had Johnston by opening talks with Sherman - already under way when Lincoln was shot.

The only danger of it was if the North had attempted some of the more vindictive things suggested on this thread. Thankfully, they had more sense.

Davis certainly had not given up and whether the talks between Johnston and Sherman would have gone the way they did in the absence of Lincoln's assassination is doubtful.  While the Confederacy as an organized body was doomed, an unorganized rabble continuing on was still possible.  Lincoln's assassination had the beneficial effect that the bitter-enders of the South sought the obtainable goal of putting the Negro in his place, rather than continuing to seek an unobtainable independence.  By and large the attempt to secede had been a conservative revolution in the first place, which is why Lincoln's assassination was so shocking.
LBJer
« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2011, 10:14:03 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2011, 10:18:57 PM by LBJer »

I wouldn't have treated them very differently than how they were treated.  I abhor the very idea of slavery, and am very glad the Union prevailed, but I also think that a policy of vindictiveness toward the former Confederates could have resulted in the South becoming another Israel/Palestine or Northern Ireland.  Restoring America as a strong, unified country was more important than punishing the Confederates.  Moreover, as odious as the idea of seceding to preserve slavery is (and of course, the war was a result of the secession), the leaders of the South were sincere in their attitudes, however flawed and racist those attitudes were.  I don't see how punishing them more severely would have convinced anyone that this way of thinking was wrong who didn't feel it was wrong already.  In addition, if by "punishment" you mean legal punishment, what would they be punished for?  The former Confederates were hardly the Nazi leaders at the Nuremberg Trials (and the legality even of Nuremberg has been seriously questioned, although many who do so feel that even if it wasn't legal it was morally just).  Slavery had been legal, and the legality of secession was murky.  There was nothing that they did that you could point to as being clearly against the law, nothing like genocide (of course, many Confederates committed atrocities during the war, but many Unionists did as well).  This is probably why Jefferson Davis was never tried for treason.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2011, 09:03:28 PM »

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2011, 10:31:47 PM »

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2012, 05:28:30 PM »

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2012, 11:16:07 PM »

I would put them on trial and let modern justice take its course.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2013, 09:15:08 PM »

Lee should've been offered a role in Reconstruction.  Life imprisonment for Jefferson Davis, Alexander Stephens, and the rest of the whole lot.  Land distributions for both freedmen and poor Southern whites, too, while we're at it. 
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2013, 08:41:23 AM »

Trial by jury, of course. Juries composed of freed slaves and poor white sharecroppers drafted into the Confederate Army against their will.

And then of course, the hangman's noose.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2013, 05:43:45 PM »

Execution, without a doubt. The South got away with treason way too easily, and has had a chip on their shoulder ever since. Armed insurrection is not a silly little game, where you shake hands afterward. 
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2013, 08:43:18 PM »

Execution, without a doubt. The South got away with treason way too easily, and has had a chip on their shoulder ever since. Armed insurrection is not a silly little game, where you shake hands afterward. 

Yeah killing their leaders would've prevented that. . . .
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2013, 11:15:53 PM »

We killed Germany's leaders after WWII. That turned out fine.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2013, 12:15:23 PM »

Allowing them to live allowed them to organize and take back power in the South, thus undoing the entire Civil War for a ing century.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2013, 01:52:19 PM »

Allowing them to live allowed them to organize and take back power in the South, thus undoing the entire Civil War for a ing century.

Well then for finks sake imprison them for treason.  Don't resort to chopping their heads off or gallowing them.  That's something I would expect from barbaric slaveholders. . . . .
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2013, 02:03:58 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2013, 03:52:13 AM by politicus »

If Lincoln not been assassinated, Reconstruction would likely have been less harsh on the Confederate leaders, I think it is also possible that it could have also led to a protracted guerrilla war in the South.  Lincoln's assassination ended any speculation that a guerrilla war might cause the North to give up trying to subdue the South.  While there was some bloodshed associated with those seeking to end Reconstruction, that bloodshed was about trying to regain power within each State, and not about also trying to gain independence for their States.

Could you elaborate?

It seems to me that getting rid of Lincoln increased the power of radical Republicans giving the South more of a reason to fight on.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies