How would you have treated confederate leaders?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:34:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  How would you have treated confederate leaders?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: How would you have treated confederate leaders?  (Read 29758 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2007, 08:43:29 PM »

As for the question. Complete pardon and automatic citizenship back into the US. As for the planters and civilians, full and unquestioned reparations for the destruction of private property as well as the forced return of all western VA counties back to Virginia (even though this was actually done after the war and WVA decided to stay a state).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2007, 07:11:24 AM »

I'd have dropped the issue of back taxes and instituted a speedy land reform in which all slaves received land and/or money while all plantation owners would have been reduced to working class standards. I'm not sure whether or not I would have bothered with criminal proceedings against the main traitors - since it was technically impossible to try all the traitors, it would have been difficult to reasonably draw the line anywhere, so dropping the issue makes sense.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2007, 07:17:06 AM »

I'd have dropped the issue of back taxes and instituted a speedy land reform in which all slaves received land and/or money while all plantation owners would have been reduced to working class standards. I'm not sure whether or not I would have bothered with criminal proceedings against the main traitors - since it was technically impossible to try all the traitors, it would have been difficult to reasonably draw the line anywhere, so dropping the issue makes sense.

The only traitors were those in the US Federal Government.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2007, 07:31:35 AM »

At least we agree that noone lost his citizenship. Wink
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2007, 02:03:04 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2007, 02:07:49 PM by Pierre Cardinal LaCroix »

Had the senior government leadership shot, hand out prison terms to some of the officers, and require the rest to swear an oath of loyalty to the Union (or leave).

Congrats, you just started a guerrilla war!
Guerillas only work in an environment where friendly outside powers/neighobrs back them up. The british and French would be more than happy to back up the union in the purge of the white confederates.

What basis do you draw that from.  Che was right about one thing... all it takes is the support of 10% of the population.  I think the guerrillas would have had more than that.  As Dan points out, as things went, there almost was such an war, but Lee decided otherwise.  He made that choice because he believed Lincoln woudl treat the South fairly.  After Lincoln was assassinated, the Northern leadership wanted all the Southern leaders arrested and hung.  It was Grant who told them that he would not carry out the order, and if they found someone else to go through with it, he would resign, because Grant and Lincoln gave Lee their word.

Your version of history is clearly influenced by PC revisionism.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2007, 02:12:26 PM »

There were no "traitors".  There is nothing in the Constitution which says states can't secceed.  In the Articles of Confederation, the Union was perminant, but the framers of the Constitution abandoned such language, because many of them, though not all, believed that states reserved the right to leave if they had legit grievences.  At the same time, precedent in the courts lead inthe direction of a perminant union, so there was certainly reason to see things that way as well.  PEople should stop trying to point figures and recongnize, as Lincoln did, that the causes for the war were an American problem, not just a Southern or Northern one.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2007, 02:14:35 PM »

Now, was Lincoln a god, or a perfect angel from on high?  No.  But he wasn't a villian either and his understanding of the war went far beyond that of anyone else alive at the time... or who has written about it since.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2007, 02:20:32 PM »

1. Hang all political and military confederate leaders.
2. Break up plantations and give land to both poor whites and blacks.
3. Permanent federal troops.
4. Anyone under the age of 12 gets sent to northern boarding schools until they come of age.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2007, 02:48:38 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2007, 02:50:42 PM by Pierre Cardinal LaCroix »

4. Anyone under the age of 12 gets sent to northern boarding schools until they come of age.

BTW... totally off topic, but In at the Death has been amazingly good.  Unlike the last six entries in the saga, it has been utterly unpredictable.

Also, unless I miss my guess, you are confusing the real Confederate States with those run by Jake Featherston and the Freedom Party.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2007, 03:20:25 PM »

There were no "traitors".  There is nothing in the Constitution which says states can't secceed.  In the Articles of Confederation, the Union was perminant, but the framers of the Constitution abandoned such language, because many of them, though not all, believed that states reserved the right to leave if they had legit grievences.  At the same time, precedent in the courts lead inthe direction of a perminant union, so there was certainly reason to see things that way as well.
Actually, no. There is nothing in the Constitution that says states can't secede because there is nothing in ANY constitution that says states can't secede because unless there is something that says they CAN, the fact that they CAN'T (by a legal process) is self-evident. The Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union did not include anything about the Confederation's permanency either, except in their name. Nor did anyone claim that states could secede until more than a generation after the Constitution was framed - the idea only won wide credence after the doctrine of Nullification was dead and buried.
If secession had been considered possible in 1787, it's extremely unlikely the Constitution could have passed at all. The big states were angry enough at the amount of concessions needed to buy the smaller states as it was.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Only in the sense that slavery was an American problem. America here used in the sense of the continent.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2007, 03:41:27 PM »

For once MasterJedi comes up with some good ideas!

I'd also institute a lifetime ban on the right to vote and own property for all Confederate veterans. I'd also send federal troops around to destroy and desecrate every Confederate graveyard, and at random select some dead veterans to be dug up, have their bodies cut to pieces and have the pile be left at their family's doorstep.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2007, 03:43:29 PM »

I'd also institute a lifetime ban on the right to vote and own property for all Confederate veterans. I'd also send federal troops around to destroy and desecrate every Confederate graveyard, and at random select some dead veterans to be dug up, have their bodies cut to pieces and have the pile be left at their family's doorstep.
Ugh. What is it you want to accomplish - keeping the flame of secession alive for ever? Really man, that's disgusting.

Not to mention that idea 4 would have been entirely unworkable.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2007, 04:29:24 PM »

Actually, no. There is nothing in the Constitution that says states can't secede because there is nothing in ANY constitution that says states can't secede because unless there is something that says they CAN, the fact that they CAN'T (by a legal process) is self-evident.

That is flat out wrong, and the events of the Convention bare that out.  The perminance of the new Union was intentionally sacraficed in the event that this new Federal Government used its powers to run one part of the country or another into the ground.  Pointing to other Constitutions is irrelevant, as it ignores one obvious historical curiosity which seperates the USA for other countries, and that is, the United States were Thirteen Independent entities which formed a single nation.  They granted powers to the Federal government.  Unlike almost every other nation where the powers of the states were handed down to them by the Federal Government.

Now, we can argue about cause, but I right that succession started out as an imply right to a string of injustices.

Well, that pretty much does it for me.  If I call God an "omnipotent being"... I think it is pretty well implied, before I go further, that God is omnipotent.

You are thinking backwards, and anachronistically.  You have to look at what was really going on and hwo they thought.  The reason the Constitution took the form that is did was because, had it not, states would have secceded in acctuality even if they didn't have the right to do so de jure.  And there were loud calls for seccession after the Articles were passed, particularly by Patrick Henry.  And you speak of Nullification as though it didn't have a cause.  People who backed nullification did so because they assumed it was an implied right and the elimination fo that right were just cause for seccession.  That's why the cries for seccession picked up after nullification.

Also, you are ignoring one obvious fact, which is the south wasn't the first place to call a council for seccession... New England was.  They called one in 1814 in response to what they felt was an unjust war that wasn't in the interests of their states.

No, not just slavery.  No offense, but I love how you can look down your European nose at Americans and claim that slavery was an "American" problem, when the practice was very prevelance for old world countries right up until WWII.  Sure, "real" slavery had died in Europe 17th and 18th century (in most countries, largely thanks to the Pope, another thing the Papacy gets no credit for) but "colonialism" was nothing but slavery of entire lands with a more pleasant name.  No one in their right mind back then would have thought slavery was just an "American" condition, because they all woudl have know it was a human condition.  The only thing that made slavery in America different is that we had been founded on principles that opposed such treatment of men and women and that is what Lincoln found truely reprehensable.

Lincoln's "American Problems" were a vast array of issues, including how all poor people were treated back then, how state governments were so divided that they often times tried to strong arm one another, how the country had been factionalized, etc.  The idea that slavery was the overbearing cause of the Civil War is revisionist to the core.  And the notion that America was somehow backwards in its treatment of the "browner peoples" is complete European, let-make-ourselves-feel-good rubish.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2007, 04:54:31 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2007, 05:03:10 PM by LEWIS-T »

Pointing to other Constitutions is irrelevant, as it ignores one obvious historical curiosity which seperates the USA for other countries, and that is, the United States were Thirteen Independent entities which formed a single nation.  They granted powers to the Federal government.  Unlike almost every other nation where the powers of the states were handed down to them by the Federal Government.
False... many federal states have that legal fiction. And in many of them - Germany for instance - it's not really a fiction, unlike in most of the US. Although in others the "states" are really subdivisions created by the central government, just as in the US outside the western seaboard. India would be a good example of such a fake federation.

--- EDIT: Eastern. The Eastern seaboard. ---

There *is* a good argument for ignoring other constitutions though -  all the modern ones postdate the US'.

No, not just slavery.  No offense, but I love how you can look down your European nose at Americans and claim that slavery was an "American" problem, when the practice was very prevelance for old world countries right up until WWII.  Sure, "real" slavery had died in Europe 17th and 18th century [/quote]Uh, "real" slavery died all over Western Europe during the Dark Ages. Although lesser, but still abominable, forms of bondage did indeed survive into the 19th century.

Where? Huh

Of course slavery was introduced in the Americas by Europeans. That wasn't my point at all though - rather, I was trying to draw attention to the parallel debates in the British and French colonies, in Cuba and Brazil.

As to the other points... they aren't ones. Henry advocated *not joining the union in the first place*, not "secession". He did so in part *because it was understood that it would be impossible to secede from it*.
And alas, all the sectionally charged political issues of the antebellum period - "States Rights", homesteading, tariffs, wars of annexation, Right of Petition - are largely variants on the overriding issue of slavery. That is, none would have been sectionally charged without it. None could have led to civil warfare. (And yes, Northerners could invoke "States' Rights" and Nullification too. Quite apart from the Hartford Convention, think of the Fugitive Slave Acts.)

--- EDIT: Quite apart from the fact that all the Hartford Convention eventually ended up doing is discuss a joint strategy to push for some constitutional amendments: An end to the three-fifth rule, a term limit, and rules making it harder to admit new states being chief among them.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2007, 05:00:04 PM »

Ugh. What is it you want to accomplish - keeping the flame of secession alive for ever? Really man, that's disgusting.

Not to mention that idea 4 would have been entirely unworkable.

Well that's probably why I'm not a leader, just some random person making musings about what happened a century ago.

But I really really hate Confederates. That's all it comes down to. The same attitude would be found among most people in Minnesota and any other state that fought against the Confederacy too of course.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2007, 05:33:51 AM »

As for the question. Complete pardon and automatic citizenship back into the US. As for the planters and civilians, full and unquestioned reparations for the destruction of private property as well as the forced return of all western VA counties back to Virginia (even though this was actually done after the war and WVA decided to stay a state).

And how would you have punished the blacks?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2007, 09:13:08 AM »

We'd still be fighting the war if those ideas above had been implemented.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2007, 09:36:10 AM »

Not true. Therre's only so many confederates around. Eventually you run out of people who are willing to fight.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2007, 12:39:48 PM »

I think you meant to say 'those idears'.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2007, 02:00:18 PM »

Only the second one sounds like a good idea.  The rest I could do without.  Tongue

Number 3 is exactly the reason the Ku Klux Klan became violent after it was founded.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2007, 02:41:32 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2007, 02:57:19 PM by Pierre Cardinal LaCroix »

Pointing to other Constitutions is irrelevant, as it ignores one obvious historical curiosity which seperates the USA for other countries, and that is, the United States were Thirteen Independent entities which formed a single nation.  They granted powers to the Federal government.  Unlike almost every other nation where the powers of the states were handed down to them by the Federal Government.
False... many federal states have that legal fiction. And in many of them - Germany for instance - it's not really a fiction, unlike in most of the US. Although in others the "states" are really subdivisions created by the central government, just as in the US outside the western seaboard. India would be a good example of such a fake federation.

--- EDIT: Eastern. The Eastern seaboard. ---

There *is* a good argument for ignoring other constitutions though -  all the modern ones postdate the US'.

No, not just slavery.  No offense, but I love how you can look down your European nose at Americans and claim that slavery was an "American" problem, when the practice was very prevelance for old world countries right up until WWII.  Sure, "real" slavery had died in Europe 17th and 18th century
Uh, "real" slavery died all over Western Europe during the Dark Ages. Although lesser, but still abominable, forms of bondage did indeed survive into the 19th century.

Where? Huh

Of course slavery was introduced in the Americas by Europeans. That wasn't my point at all though - rather, I was trying to draw attention to the parallel debates in the British and French colonies, in Cuba and Brazil.

As to the other points... they aren't ones. Henry advocated *not joining the union in the first place*, not "secession". He did so in part *because it was understood that it would be impossible to secede from it*.
And alas, all the sectionally charged political issues of the antebellum period - "States Rights", homesteading, tariffs, wars of annexation, Right of Petition - are largely variants on the overriding issue of slavery. That is, none would have been sectionally charged without it. None could have led to civil warfare. (And yes, Northerners could invoke "States' Rights" and Nullification too. Quite apart from the Hartford Convention, think of the Fugitive Slave Acts.)

--- EDIT: Quite apart from the fact that all the Hartford Convention eventually ended up doing is discuss a joint strategy to push for some constitutional amendments: An end to the three-fifth rule, a term limit, and rules making it harder to admit new states being chief among them.
[/quote]

1) Indentured servitude is still "real" slavery and it was a very common practice throughout Europe in the 19th century.

2) Indentured servitude was as almost as common in the north as slavery was in the south.  It was how many of the Irish paid their way over to the US.  Terms of service could be as long as 20 years... not that there was a legal limit, but it was not unheard of for them to be that long.  One could argue that the difference between indentured servitude is the, at the end, you get your freedom.  Well, freedom to do what?  Most people had no money at the end of their term.  Nothing saved up, and the best years of their life were behind them, so they went to the poorhouses, which was worse than slavery.

3) The difference between this "constitutional fiction" in America as opposed to other places is that, here in the United States the fiction was a reality.  I was acctually thinking fo Germany when I inserted "almost" in there, but one can hardly argue the German and US constitutions are stamped from the same mold, and the only reason Germany has this "fiction" is, IIRC, you guys had a very nasty expirience with too much centralized power at one time.

4) Many of the 17th and 18th century Popes were loud in their opposition to slavery and indentured servitude.  I'm not gonna dig out names, but one of the Gregory's comes to mind in particular.  Granted, there were things going on in the new world that escaped their notice, but one could hardly blame them for not knowing what was really going on over there.

5) It doesn't matter what the Hartford Convention ened up doing, that is irrelevant to the arguement.  The reason they assembled was because they were going to secceed.  The reason they didn't was because, by the time they acctually assembled, peace had already been declared.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2007, 04:56:48 PM »

Only the second one sounds like a good idea.  The rest I could do without.  Tongue

Number 3 is exactly the reason the Ku Klux Klan became violent after it was founded.

After enough time there wouldn't be enough members for the KKK since they'd all be dead and after awhile people would stop doing it since people would rather live. And the federal troops would have kept the south mostly equal, instead of the reverse it took. And number four would actually change the south for the good, they'd grow up in the north and not have the same ideas about the north that most in the south do now.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2007, 06:17:37 PM »

... and after awhile people would stop doing it since people would rather live.

Tell that to the Japanese on Okinawa.  If the options are between what is preceived as a horrible life and death on your knees and a "glorious" death otherwise, a lot of people would choose the latter.
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2007, 01:28:25 AM »

After enough time there wouldn't be enough members for the KKK since they'd all be dead and after awhile people would stop doing it since people would rather live. And the federal troops would have kept the south mostly equal, instead of the reverse it took. And number four would actually change the south for the good, they'd grow up in the north and not have the same ideas about the north that most in the south do now.

And people from "the north" think warm fuzzy wonderful thoughts about the people from "the south"?
I lived in Pennsylvania for almost 7 years, and still visit for a few days every month & very few people don't have prejudiced thoughts about me just because I'm from Alabama. I am very glad that I wasn't raised up north.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2007, 08:51:09 AM »

... and after awhile people would stop doing it since people would rather live.

Tell that to the Japanese on Okinawa.  If the options are between what is preceived as a horrible life and death on your knees and a "glorious" death otherwise, a lot of people would choose the latter.
Yawn. I didn't say there'd be many surviving southerners.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies