Interesting poll of Irish Catholics reveals widespread disagreement with Church. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:06:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Interesting poll of Irish Catholics reveals widespread disagreement with Church. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Interesting poll of Irish Catholics reveals widespread disagreement with Church.  (Read 4599 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« on: April 17, 2012, 01:12:59 PM »

Maybe its just a regional thing, but in my experience almost everyone raised Catholic who doesn't line up well with the church's official teachings still claims to be Catholic, while Baptists and other right wing Christian groups are more likely to abandon their labels.

Also, a poll of American Catholics would likely to be similar to this one. Catholics tend to be more liberal than America at large on virtually every political issue, regardless of what the man in Rome says (and he himself isn't as conservative as he's sometimes portrayed)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 11:56:27 AM »

Who accuses non Catholics of being Catholic? I've never heard of that...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:36:22 AM »

I think you're making mountains out of molehills, BRTD. I have never, ever heard of anyone trying to count someone as Catholic against their will. While I don't deny that someone has probably done it before, it is nowhere near a mainstream thing.

In fact, it reminds me of what I've heard Baptists claim, that once you're saved, you're saved forever, regardless of what you do. I'm not sure if that's official Baptist doctrine or not, but what you're saying sounds (to me) much more like conservative evangelical protestantism than Catholicism.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies