FINAL RATIFICATION VOTE PART 2 - AMENDMENTS (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:17:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Voting Booth (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FINAL RATIFICATION VOTE PART 2 - AMENDMENTS (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FINAL RATIFICATION VOTE PART 2 - AMENDMENTS  (Read 17949 times)
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: April 01, 2004, 10:39:12 AM »

Where is the Sixth Amendment on Preferential voting posted?Huh?  It's not in the Constitution.  If it passed and is now therefore part of the Constitution, shouldn't the Constitution be updated to reflect this?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 12:01:51 PM »

Looking back through this thread, it appears that the Preferential Voting amendment was declared as passed at 6:12 am yesterday morning (11-10 with 2 abstentions).  It would seem that arguing its merits now a moot point.

I will ask my question again- where is the text of this amendment posted?

Thanks for helping out a newbie.  Smiley
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 12:33:57 PM »

My point was that it wasn't in the original Constitution.  It's just an idea that these guys wanted, so they threw it in there, but denied anyone else the chance to post an amendemnet.

So...it isn't posted.....ANYWHERE?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 12:38:25 PM »

Well, that seems rather silly. If that is indeed the case, any voting done on the amendment ought to be declared null and void on that basis, and perhaps voted on again AFTER a written document is produced.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 03:21:52 PM »

My argument has nothing to do with the closeness of the vote, although that is a good point.  How can you vote on an amendment that hasn't even been written down?  

Okay, so I'm a newbie, and this forum is quickly becoming a major addiction for me.  As a newbie, I am trying to understand all the rules of the game.  I asked where this supposedly-passed amendment could be found.  No one seems to be able to answer that question.  

It seems to me that an idea or concept was voted upon.  That is not how Constitutions get amended.  There must be a written document for a vote to take place.  Can you imagine the real Congress passing an amendment without writing it down?

At best, if my understanding of the situation is correct, I would say that an affirmative vote has been passed that an amendment ought to be drafted and voted upon.  Based on the specific language included or not included in the amendment, it is certainly possible that some would vote differently.

If I would be permitted to do so, I would officially submit this complaint to: who?  The President?  Would he do anything about it?  
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 03:36:07 PM »
« Edited: April 01, 2004, 03:37:24 PM by JLD »

There was a long thread a few days ago, accompanied by a poll, that explained what preferential voting was, and it was favored in that poll too.

I have searched high and low for this thread, and I cannot find it.  Can someone please bring it forward?  Or at least tell me what it is called, I have tried to search for threads with "preferential voting" in the subject but had no success.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies