SENATE BILL: Atlasian National Tax Reduction Act of 2012 (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:06:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Atlasian National Tax Reduction Act of 2012 (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Atlasian National Tax Reduction Act of 2012 (Failed)  (Read 5915 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 15, 2012, 07:25:16 PM »
« edited: April 24, 2012, 09:42:06 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: NC Yankee (Tentative)
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 07:27:07 PM »

Does anyone want this Jake Matthews special?

Also, he is to present a case for this himself in 24 hours, similar to how I treated Polnut in the Broadcast bill.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 07:30:42 PM »

I oppose this legislation.  I support reducing taxes for middle-class Atlasians, but I don't support repealing sales taxes and I also believe wealthier Atlasians should pay a higher percentage in taxes.  Getting to that, however, this bill fails to define "wealthier Atlasians", so it is hard to interpret that section of the bill.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 07:31:56 PM »

I support the idea of this bill...I look forward to some more specifics
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 08:17:03 PM »

A flat tax of 13%!? How are we going to pay for most of the budget with this?

By the way, do we even have budgets? I assume so.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 08:24:35 PM »

The Administration will not be supporting this Bill.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 12:59:30 AM »

This bill got my full support.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 06:18:53 AM »

Gentlemen,

I'd like to speak on behalf of the Atlasian National Tax Reduction Act of 2012.

As with nearly every piece of legislation that carries the weight and significance as one such as this, there will be differing opinions. This is the beautiful thing about Atlasia--people of all ideologies can join together to decide the course of Atlasia's future. It's beautiful. I agree the bill is flawed to some extents, and would be happy to see a compromise struck. The purpose of the bill is to decrease overall taxation of citizens, and to ease the burden on those who just cannot afford to pay a certain percentage of their income. The premise is what I stress: we must decrease taxation for all Atlasians. I understand there are budgetary needs that are dependent upon the intake of national taxes, but we should be willing to cut a bit more from the budget (which, coincidentally, I did introduce a piece of legislation to shred a lot from the budget) in order to make room for a little bit more economic freedom. Taxes are a necessary evil, this is something I agree with, no matter how much I don't want to. But the idea of low taxes is something that appeals to me because we are a capitalist nation. In order to be a capitalist nation, we must at least somewhat attend to the principle of economic freedom and reduced taxation. I thank you all very much for your time and I hope something can be struck in order to make the bill agreeable by senators of all ideologies. Thank you.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 05:29:36 PM »

I disagree with the Secretary's opinion. I believe that the wealthy should pay a higher rate of taxes because they simply have more money to burn. If you can afford 3 houses and a car elevator, I think you can afford to pay more taxes. A lot more, if necessary.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 06:11:22 PM »

Yet again, I need to stress that the Secretary is speaking as the Senator that introduced this measure, not as a member of my Cabinet.

I cannot imagine anything vaguely resembling this Bill that I would be comfortable signing.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 06:15:07 PM »

Yet again, I need to stress that the Secretary is speaking as the Senator that introduced this measure, not as a member of my Cabinet.

I cannot imagine anything vaguely resembling this Bill that I would be comfortable signing.

Do you regard this an "an inconveniance"?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 07:46:49 PM »

Do you regard this an "an inconveniance"?

An 'inconveniance'? ... no. An 'inconvenience'? eh, not really. The Secretary knows where I stand on this Bill. I respect his differing view on these matters, and he knows I don't support flat-taxes.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 07:53:11 PM »

I respect this bill and would vote for it out of principle- but you've just seen the President put forward a bill that RAISES taxes for somethign hardly critical to the peoples' well-being so I doubt we'll get anywhere with this
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »

I respect this bill and would vote for it out of principle- but you've just seen the President put forward a bill that RAISES taxes for somethign hardly critical to the peoples' well-being so I doubt we'll get anywhere with this

Note that I reduced and streamlined taxes on small businesses and reduced low and middle-income personal taxes in my first term.

I'd appreciate some context before you paint me with a brush on one colour.

I don't oppose reducing taxation, but since it's based around a flat-tax, which I think is reckless and fiscally irresponsible, no way I'm going to support that.

CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 08:00:11 PM »

Note that I reduced and streamlined taxes on small businesses and reduced low and middle-income personal taxes in my first term.

I'd appreciate some context before you paint me with a brush on one colour.

I don't oppose reducing taxation, but since it's based around a flat-tax, which I think is a reckless and fiscally irresponsible, no way I'm going to support that.

That's news to me... shows how observant I am. Where and when was this?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 08:15:32 PM »

I'd just like to ask: what are the current tax rates and brackets?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 08:25:13 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=141303.0
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 10:05:08 PM »

This bill is a right-wing fantasy failure of first-grade math. Would this even bring half of the revenue that current tax system brings?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 10:23:47 PM »

I strongly oppose a flat tax. Now if we were to reduce tax rates for everybody along with spending cuts, I might be open to that. But anything more is a non-starter with me.

Can someone tell me what the national sales tax rate is? I didn't even know we had one. I would not support reducing that either. We have a robust national healthcare system and it's fair that everyone chip in for that.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 05:14:51 AM »

I strongly oppose a flat tax. Now if we were to reduce tax rates for everybody along with spending cuts, I might be open to that. But anything more is a non-starter with me.

Senator, I did introduce a bill to cut massively from the budget to compliment this bill. However, it involves repealing the left's precious baby--the National Healthcare Act. So I hardly believe it will stand a chance of passage.

I am speaking on behalf of this bill as the representative and am in no way reflecting the President's opinion, but I believe that just because you have more, doesn't mean you should have to pay more.

The problem is not that the top 1% don't pay enough taxes, it's that overall, not enough people pay taxes. We are still living in a country in which not everyone pays their taxes. It's another problem that must be addressed.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 09:50:24 AM »

The problem is not that the top 1% don't pay enough taxes, it's that overall, not enough people pay taxes. We are still living in a country in which not everyone pays their taxes. It's another problem that must be addressed.

Do you mean tax evasion?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 02:58:45 PM »

Can someone tell me what the national sales tax rate is? I didn't even know we had one. I would not support reducing that either. We have a robust national healthcare system and it's fair that everyone chip in for that.
There is not a general national sales tax. There are excise taxes on a few items such as gas, alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, etc.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 05:27:02 PM »

I don't see how you can claim to support both this act and a balanced budget. It simply doesn't make sense.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 05:58:56 PM »

Do you mean tax evasion?

And just to expand a little more on your post, you are correct that getting rid of national health care is DOA. We have already reformed the system and not only will it reduce costs by causing people to pay for some of their healthcare, it will cause them to make smarter healthcare choices which will lead to further cost reductions.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 05:13:17 AM »

Yes, I was referring to tax evasion as a larger problem.

I don't see how you can claim to support both this act and a balanced budget. It simply doesn't make sense.

Well let's see, if I've mentioned at least 5 times now that I introduced a piece of legislation that would act as sort of the second part of this act, then I see no reason why I can't support a balanced budget. The tax cuts are being matched by spending cuts.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies